Feeders going into dirt

Jhr226

Has anyone had the problem of crickets or FF going into the dirt in the pot of the plant? They kept going into the substrate so I switched to fake plants but I really want to use real ones. Has anyone had any success preventing the bugs from going into the dirt? I'm thinking the only way is a feeder cuz but if someone has found out another way please do share it will help a lot!

I had the same problem when I first started free range feeding! Most of the time the crickets will stay above ground, however there are a few things that you can to to further prevent this. I personally used a gardening screen at the top layer of soil, and then put a light layer of soil on top to make it look natural. In my Cham's new cage I used a dense layer of packed down spag moss, and for the most part this seems to stop any large feeders that try to dig. You could also probably try a layer of gravel, but I would be concerned about your chameleon accidentally eating a small piece. I don't have this issue as much since I started hand feeding, so that is also an option.

Is the worry about impaction from soil or eco earth honestly a real thing? Where these animals come from this is what they are used to...dirt, moist dirt. Its a natural habitat. People say not to use fine sand for leopard geckos either but i have had mine for seven years and all i use is sand, never one time have i has to take him to the vet, he poops every day. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my jacksons chameleon which will be my first cham. I have a schefflera plant in the cage along with several other artificial plants, the soil is uncovered and the ecoearth is the substrate. Honestly will this be a problem for a cham because as i said it isnt a problem for my leopard using natural substrates

I have also read many books on chameleons that say eco earth is a fine substrate because it is ground coconut fiber, but this concern with the soil ive never heard of

I have also read many books on chameleons that say eco earth is a fine substrate because it is ground coconut fiber, but this concern with the soil ive never heard of

Ok so yes, the worry about impaction is real. It can and will happen if proper precautions are not taken. Usually if a chameleon (or any animal really) does not have proper care, they will be at greater risk of impaction. I think if you use ecoearth it will not be as dangerous as using rocks or sand, but I have seen some concern with this as well. I think that people have thought of loose substrate as a taboo because of impaction stories. However, I think the best option for a chams as far as dirt goes would be to go bioactive. It can be a bit more pricey, but can certainly help with the well-being of your chameleon. You could even make your own using the ecoearth if you wanted. I am not a professional owner, but I have read several articles on this and personally use a bio-active substrate. Though, if you are still worried about impaction, you can't go wrong with paper towels. :p

Also, I'm sorry to say that your leo is probably just lucky. They actually DON'T live in sandy deserts but rather grassy plains and other arid scrublands. This is just a warning for the future. If you absolutely need to keep the sand I'd recommend dish feeding. ;)

Ok so yes, the worry about impaction is real. It can and will happen if proper precautions are not taken. Usually if a chameleon (or any animal really) does not have proper care, they will be at greater risk of impaction. I think if you use ecoearth it will not be as dangerous as using rocks or sand, but I have seen some concern with this as well. I think that people have thought of loose substrate as a taboo because of impaction stories. However, I think the best option for a chams as far as dirt goes would be to go bioactive. It can be a bit more pricey, but can certainly help with the well-being of your chameleon. You could even make your own using the ecoearth if you wanted. I am not a professional owner, but I have read several articles on this and personally use a bio-active substrate. Though, if you are still worried about impaction, you can't go wrong with paper towels. :p

Also, I'm sorry to say that your leo is probably just lucky. They actually DON'T live in sandy deserts but rather grassy plains and other arid scrublands. This is just a warning for the future. If you absolutely need to keep the sand I'd recommend dish feeding. ;)

Well said my friend ;)

Really??? So for seven years ive had my leopard on the wrong subsrate...ive read many posts and pages about people using sand because it made for a more natural feel. Also when you use an undertank heater they said it "heats up the sand". I just concluded that this calcium sand was a good substrate, if they live in mossy arid areas then how do you keep humidity between 20 to 40%? I have a problem with it getting close to 40% just when i put a moss hide in his tank, so would a clay substrate be more preferable? One that they cannot ingest? The only problem is you have to keep it moist and that wont help with humidity...maybe i should just use carpet? I prefer natural looks though

Really??? So for seven years ive had my leopard on the wrong subsrate...ive read many posts and pages about people using sand because it made for a more natural feel. Also when you use an undertank heater they said it "heats up the sand". I just concluded that this calcium sand was a good substrate, if they live in mossy arid areas then how do you keep humidity between 20 to 40%? I have a problem with it getting close to 40% just when i put a moss hide in his tank, so would a clay substrate be more preferable? One that they cannot ingest? The only problem is you have to keep it moist and that wont help with humidity...maybe i should just use carpet? I prefer natural looks though

There are a few options that you could try. This video goes into some detail about comparing substrates: If you like the look of sand, you can try the clay or sand carpet. I think tile would work well too. You don't need to put any moss or grass if you don't want to. Try to think of an arid, rocky grassland. Not horribly bare or sandy, but still rather dry. They tend to live in Afghanistan, South Asia, and North West India. If you want an extremely natural look, there is also a bio-active option with live plants and rocks. Its really up to you, but I still would not recommend the sand. Also, if you think the humidity will be a problem, you could try a screen lid for ventilation if you haven't already. :D

Great, i think i will try the dry option of eco earth for him as well, i use the most expandable bricks in the chameleon enclosure. I think this will work well...i would love to always do a bioactive enclosure for every animal i own but i just don't have the time to prepare the enclosure or the money, so i will just stick to monthly cleanings

I wouldn't use eco earth, I'd use a blend of fine particle soil that promotes bioactivity. There's nothing wrong with bugs being in dirt, where do you think they are in the wild?

Great, i think i will try the dry option of eco earth for him as well, i use the most expandable bricks in the chameleon enclosure. I think this will work well...i would love to always do a bioactive enclosure for every animal i own but i just don't have the time to prepare the enclosure or the money, so i will just stick to monthly cleanings

Glad to hear it! I think it would be a good choice for both animals. (y) Oh, and just a tip, ecoearth is a very low-nutrient substrate. So I would keep your umbrella plant in it's soil pot, and then put a layer of the ecoearth over it to aid in growth. Good luck with your jackson's cham & your leo!

Glad to hear it! I think it would be a good choice for both animals. (y) Oh, and just a tip, ecoearth is a very low-nutrient substrate. So I would keep your umbrella plant in it's soil pot, and then put a layer of the ecoearth over it to aid in growth. Good luck with your jackson's cham & your leo!

I used to used to use calcium sand for my leopards but I tend to notice that it kept going into their water dish and would always get alittle bit on the feeders , this scared me and I got rid of it ASAP because I was not risking her life for "fashionable" substrate so I think it's a good idea not to use the sand. ;) Good luck with your chams!!!

@Jhr226 if you're worried about the insects in the cage being less nutritious...leave a small lid full! of greens, veggies in the cage for the fruit flies and crickets...then they will always be gutloaded. Just be sure to change them often enough that they don't rot or mould.

Impaction is a real possibility with some substrates and not with others. Some substrates will appear not to cause a problem and then suddenly cause one. The problem is you won't know until it's too late as a rule. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom