Feeder Cup design 3.0...

gotwqqd

image.jpg
Smaller and shallower base

Taller smaller diameter mesh cylinder
image.jpg

What is that you are using for the actual dish part? I need to make one of these! I'm going to probably start using dubia roaches for my next cham... They won't be able to climb that dish, right?

How do you make the mesh part? How is it held to the bowl? Are you sure a chameleon won't cause it to tip over?

3x2 pvc coupling with some of each side sawn off

They cannot climb out

Lol, at first I thought your base mount was the entire microwave platter!!! I was thinking there is no way a chameleon could knock that over.

Then I started using my brain, HA!

Nice design....well done!

Lol, at first I thought your base mount was the entire microwave platter!!! I was thinking there is no way a chameleon could knock that over.

Then I started using my brain, HA!

Nice design....well done!
It's hung from screen ceiling
The microwave plate is glass.
So I use it as a release medium when I secure the mesh cylinder to the pvc dish

How do you make the mesh part? How is it held to the bowl? Are you sure a chameleon won't cause it to tip over?
It's nylon(plastic) screen canvas from any craft store. I roll into a cylinder with 4 grid overlap
Then I sew it together with phone/data wire

I place the cup on glass surface and place the cylinder and attached mesh disc inside then flow hot glue around edges.
Glass allows release

Find my previous version and you can see the stitching

Another few points
The mesh is #7 and the piece is 32 units wide with 4 grid overlap
Smaller diameter results in gridwork cracking.

Next time I will use heavy nylon fishing line and a curved needle to stitch.
Though it's possible the thinner diameter may "cut" through the mesh.

I'm not sure if it'd help the cracking in the long term, but before you roll it and stitch it up you could try throwing it in a turned down oven (the lowest mine will go is 170º which works well on vinyl tubing) for 5-10 minutes. Soften it up a bit and make it easier to roll.

I really like the design, I'll probably steal it with a couple modifications for my own purposes when I finally get a cham in a few months :).

I'm not sure if it'd help the cracking in the long term, but before you roll it and stitch it up you could try throwing it in a turned down oven (the lowest mine will go is 170º which works well on vinyl tubing) for 5-10 minutes. Soften it up a bit and make it easier to roll.

I really like the design, I'll probably steal it with a couple modifications for my own purposes when I finally get a cham in a few months :).
Hot water would work....

Back
Top Bottom