Feedback on using Solenoids to control water flow

Saldarya

Established Member
I know there have been a few of you mention that you use these to control water flow outdoors but I have a quick question.

The standard ones that you can find for sprinkler systems are 24V, can a plug be added to them and then simply plugged into a timer?

The other option of course is a 110v one, but they seem to all be brass and I would rather not run the water through metal.

Of course if all think that is a non issue maybe that is the best solution,

Thanks!

The standard lawn sprinkler solenoids use 24V AC. So you need a 24V AC power supply (usually a wall wart) and plug that in to your standard 110v timer and connect the wires to your soleniod, piece of cake.

The other way to do it: Use a sprinkler timer instead because they are more customizable as far as misting times and schedules go, plus you can hook several solenoids/circuits and schedule them differently.

I use sprinkler timers to control diaphragm pumps which I've never heard of anyone else doing. I run the timer 24V AC outputs to control 24V AC relays, which switch the 110V to the pumps. Like NASA around here. ;)

And btw, brass is fine. Most of your plumbing fixtures like faucets are made of it.

Thanks Mike,

I looked at just using the Sprinkler timer set up as you suggested but I connt find any that are fully customizable. They allow for how long and how many times a day, but that would mean the timer would go off over night as well. If you could suggest one, that would be great.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom