Feedback for new panther owner.

Lil P

I've had Lil P for a little over a month now and he/she seems to be doing very well. Loves to be active and also has a little bit of sass that makes caring for him/her so much fun. So this is what Lil P's enclosure is looking like right now (Lil P turns 2 months old tomorrow!!!)-

I have a Honeysuckle vine planted in the brown pot that wraps all over the cage,
A brand new Jade in the front right in the blue pot (which was bought today),
A Golden Pathos newly introduced a few days ago that will start to climb the side of the cage,
2 fake vines stranded across the upper half of the enclosure for walking/hiding/playing,
2 fake green vines on either side of the cage for coverage and to hold water,
as well as a feeder cup made from a small popcorn container, cut down to size, with tape over the edges to avoid any possible scrapes or crickets escaping.

I have a Monsoon mister which runs on differing shifts for day and night, as well as a humidifier in my room, as I live in Colorado and need to keep the humidity up for my panther. I also mist manually with a spray bottle through-out the day when I feel Lil P may want a drink or the environment is looking dry. Basking spot is about 80-90 all day and all lights go off at night, as well as humidity and temperature dropping at night. I handle him about every other day taking him out to the real sunlight for some natural UV. I let him chill on my hand/arm and he also gets time to hangout on a hanging pathos I have outside. Diet consists of gutloaded crickets dusted in calcium every day and dusted in d3 once a month. He also gets spoiled with small hornworms when the time is right (all the time haha - about 3-4 a week).

This is my first cham, please give me feedback on what could be done better or what to look for!

Thanks!

-Lake

Attachments

• IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1913.JPG
    IMG_1913.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 90
How do you measure the humidity levels in his setup? As you know, CO is very dry so you must do this. Don't bother with the little round analog gauges sold by pet shops; usually inaccurate. Get a decent electronic humidity gauge from a herp supply or a home improvement place. Chances are you'll find you need to actively manage the cage humidity (not the room so much...this can lead to moldy closets! Been there done that in CO!). I would increase the D3 and multivitamin to 2 times a month. He's an actively growing baby.

How do you measure the humidity levels in his setup? As you know, CO is very dry so you must do this. Don't bother with the little round analog gauges sold by pet shops; usually inaccurate. Get a decent electronic humidity gauge from a herp supply or a home improvement place. Chances are you'll find you need to actively manage the cage humidity (not the room so much...this can lead to moldy closets! Been there done that in CO!). I would increase the D3 and multivitamin to 2 times a month. He's an actively growing baby.
The digital humidity reader I use sits on top of his cage. It stays around 65-70 in his cage all day and drops a little at night. Will certainly increase the D3 to 2 times a month :)

Add a multivitamin supplement twice a month. Your set up looks good, But could maybe use a few more vines/ branches (I use a bunch). I would add foliage on the back wall as well. I have my back wall completely covered with 5 or 6 fake plants and a huge umbrella in the middle. I'm assuming that pothos will grow and provide some nice foliage. I'm actually thinking about getting one myself to run along the sides. Other than that i don't really have much else to say.

The pothos will grow like crazy. However, jades are succulents, so you'll have to watch that it doesn't get too over-watered. I once got a baby veiled shipped to me when I wasn't expecting him (seller mix-up) so I had to throw together an enclosure since my stuff for him was being shipped from CA. I used a jade that I had, and the little guy was so small when I got him that he slept on a single jade leaf. He's the veiled in my profile pic, so it didn't hurt him at all, but I did get that jade out of there as soon as I could so it didn't get too wet. It looks like you are on the right path and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom