Fecal checks for parasites... How often?

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi everyone. I got a fecal done on Beman a few weeks after I got him because I was reading on the forum that this is something that should be done. It came back negative. So after reading some yesterday and finding out that the feeders can carry parasites...

My question is how often should a fecal be done? My vet is really great and she will run a fecal without seeing him as to not stress him out unnecessarily. As long as he is healthy and not showing any issues that is.

Thank you for your feedback :)

Depends. Some vets, after the first checkup, will do floats for $10 a pop for the life of the animal. In that case you could do one every year or 2 just so you can sleep at night. However some are $45-90, in which case i wouldnt bother, since the animal is healthy.

@nightanole thank you. As far as a check up should I take him in if he is not displaying any health issues. If so should I do this annually? I am obsessing over every detail trying to do everything right. Making myself a little crazy in the process.

If you are newish to the hobby i would recommend 1 checkup when you first get the animal (so you can deworm etc) and 1 checkup once they are adult(verify blood work and bones). After that its up to you. Some herpers do annual just like a dog/cat (the lizard doesnt know it costs $35, and neither does the $400 dog, both are equal parts family). Ive been doing this since before some millennials where conceived, and i have a very good husbandry track record with my vet, so only imports(which i rarely get) get a vet visit. The rest do not get vet trips unless something comes up(WHY DO THEY ALWAYS GET SICK/INJURED IN WINTER, ITS TOO COLD FOR CAR RIDES) and then they get the works(fecal, blood work, maybe a bone xray).

If you are newish to the hobby i would recommend 1 checkup when you first get the animal (so you can deworm etc) and 1 checkup once they are adult(verify blood work and bones). After that its up to you. Some herpers do annual just like a dog/cat (the lizard doesnt know it costs $35, and neither does the $400 dog, both are equal parts family). Ive been doing this since before some millennials where conceived, and i have a very good husbandry track record with my vet, so only imports(which i rarely get) get a vet visit. The rest do not get vet trips unless something comes up(WHY DO THEY ALWAYS GET SICK/INJURED IN WINTER, ITS TOO COLD FOR CAR RIDES) and then they get the works(fecal, blood work, maybe a bone xray).
Ok perfect. And not to come off as a total idiot... if his fecal came back negative does he still need to be dewormed? Or are they one in the same? I am newish so I will definitely take your recommendation on Vet visits. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom