• Dracaena

Votes: 33 3.1%
  • Hibiscus

Votes: 158 14.9%

• Total voters

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Among the few plants listed, what is your favorite plant for indoor chameleon enclosures?

It's really hard for me to choose a specific one. I have really good luck with schefflera, pothos will grow without even any soil, but my favorite is the ficus alii. At the same time, i hate the ficus benjamina, so if I vote for ficus, people will assume benjamina because it is the most common. I can't decide. :confused:

i have great luck with them all, does anyone use jasmine? they flower everytime you trim them, good strong bark stems. give it a try, when they flower the whole apartment smells great!
drew

Jerm: You bring up some good points. Too late to edit the poll options though.

I like schefflera and pothos as well. I have not tried the ficus alii yet.

DrewNYC said:
i have great luck with them all, does anyone use jasmine? they flower everytime you trim them, good strong bark stems. give it a try, when they flower the whole apartment smells great!
drew

Is Jasmine Safe for the chams? It sounds like a good Idea.

Tough poll...
I have Ficus and Hisbiscus. The Ficus is strong but....looses lots of leafs each day.

Brad said:
According to anapsid.org

Anyone else using this?

So this would go under a caution type plant along with Pothos and Ficus. I have a Juviniel Veiled and I know he likes to take chunks out of the Ficus leaves every now and then. So Jasmin would be under the caution tab?

Frank

So this would go under a caution type plant along with Pothos and Ficus.
I am not sure yet. We have some conflicting info. The toxicity would either be classified as toxic or caution on this site. I would like to get some more info or hear from some qualified members before listing it. The berries and sap seem to be the concern. Whatever the classification, I personally would not use this with plant eating species or specific chameleons that frequently eat plants.

DrewNYC: How long have you been using Jasmine, and with what species?
btw- welcome to the forums :)

I have a ficus benjamina that is growing out of control and taking over the big cage. It has actually shot leaves out of the 1/8" holes of the mesh, and it is now extending up and through the mesh on the top of the cage, too. The ones that I have in the leaf cham cages have grown quickly also. I cut one back a few days ago because it was trying to pop the lid off the aquarium. I do absolutely nothing for them. :D

Heika

ficus.jpg

I'm the only weirdo that voted for schefflera. They grow like weeds and have thick yet nicely spaced branches. Ficus is too dense for large chameleons like veileds and panthers to navigate their way through easily imo. Also, the cupped leaves and umbrella shape hold water well, and the very center where all the leafs stalks meet usually gathers a huge drop of water that my chams love to drink. I use schefflera for all my species, even the brevs.

Has anyone ever had their schefflera bloom and have berries? Mine did and I took it out of the enclosure just to be safe. Could these be poisonous? I noticed a lot of pollen with the flowers. The berries attract ants in outdoor enclosures.

lowendfrequency said:
I'm the only weirdo that voted for schefflera. They grow like weeds and have thick yet nicely spaced branches. Ficus is too dense for large chameleons like veileds and panthers to navigate their way through easily imo. Also, the cupped leaves and umbrella shape hold water well, and the very center where all the leafs stalks meet usually gathers a huge drop of water that my chams love to drink. I use schefflera for all my species, even the brevs.

When I got my Ficus tree, it looked like a Ficus Bush. I did the Bonzai thing on it and thined it out. It looks more like a tree now, plenty of room for my juvinile Veiled to move in, yet enough coverage for him to hide. I think it might have helped the Tree. It is sprouting new growth everywhere. I am hopeing by doing the Bonzai thing I can maintain the highth of the plant in the enclosure and make its gerth grow? Anyone else do this with their trees and whats the out come?

Frank

Hi, I'm new. I am starting to research chameleons and hope to get one once I know what I'm doing.
I am curious about plants, there are very few listed and I don't see a lot of others except for on those links to toxic and non toxic plants which were quite helpful. I would benefit from more personal experience though. The link to toxic plants wasn't cham specific, and I noticed philodendrons on there; anyone ever use them or know of their level of "badness"? Also did not see listings either way regaurding bamboo, ever try that? Please post or message me any other, unlisted plants that you have had success with. I am thinking a Veiled might be the best to start with, so I need to make sure any plant I get is ok if eaten.
Thank you all, I have learned a lot just browsing the forums. I appreciate any input I can get :D

Back
Top Bottom