Falling

Flacon67

Established Member
So I left my cage door open on accident, he climbed onto the sides of the mesh, and fell all the way down, and when he landed he froze. I put my hand down for me to put him back in the cage, and he climbed right in.., he hasn’t eaten all day, I put some crickets in but he hasn’t even gone after them? Do u think he is ok from the fall

He fell from the side where it’s floor. Like the top to the wooden floor image.jpg

Well you need to watch him closely. Chams can fall. It is just a matter of if they get hurt when they do it. Did you do the recommended upgrades we spoke of in your prior thread? The lighting specifically? Falls can be common if they do not have the proper lighting. Metabolic Bone Disease occurs in chams that do not have the proper lighting. They have to have the UVB that a T5HO fixture and 10.0 bulb puts out for D3 conversion. The compact bulb will do nothing.

Well you need to watch him closely. Chams can fall. It is just a matter of if they get hurt when they do it. Did you do the recommended upgrades we spoke of in your prior thread? The lighting specifically? Falls can be common if they do not have the proper lighting. Metabolic Bone Disease occurs in chams that do not have the proper lighting. They have to have the UVB that a T5HO fixture and 10.0 bulb puts out for D3 conversion. The compact bulb will do nothing.
Ok, the hood is coming this weekend. But do u think he is fine, he started to move as soon as he got back in the cage?

Ok, the hood is coming this weekend. But do u think he is fine, he started to move as soon as he got back in the cage?
Just because he started moving does not mean he didn’t get hurt. They can break bones and get bruising. The bruise would come up a black color. The only way to know if he broke something is an X-ray.
I would suggest watching him closely. If you see him moving differently or bruising or any differences in his behavior you could take him to an experienced reptile Vet to get looked at.

Just because he started moving does not mean he didn’t get hurt. They can break bones and get bruising. The bruise would come up a black color. The only way to know if he broke something is an X-ray.
I would suggest watching him closely. If you see him moving differently or bruising or any differences in his behavior you could take him to an experienced reptile Vet to get looked at.
Ok, thanks

you may want to consider getting a soft rug that has some give to it to put under his cage... This way should he try to get out when your not looking there is something to cushion the fall rather then landing on hard ground.

I would also remove the bark in the bottom of your cage.... Can be an impact risk should he eat it.

you may want to consider getting a soft rug that has some give to it to put under his cage... This way should he try to get out when your not looking there is something to cushion the fall rather then landing on hard ground.

I would also remove the bark in the bottom of your cage.... Can be an impact risk should he eat it.
Yeah. Should I just put nothing on it

So o just held him, he did fine, I wanted to see if I could spot anything, couldn’t find anything thankfully. One concern was that he kept stomping one front foot, wasn’t sure if he meant anything, he also would through is arms up after he did that? He was a bright green the whole time though

So o just held him, he did fine, I wanted to see if I could spot anything, couldn’t find anything thankfully. One concern was that he kept stomping one front foot, wasn’t sure if he meant anything, he also would through is arms up after he did that? He was a bright green the whole time though
He may have injured himself. Leave him be until tomorrow. Then you will be looking for swelling, bruising, anything that looks different.

And don't feel bad... It happens. You just got your first lesson in how quickly they can move when they want to. The other thing to watch out for is where their tail is when you are closing their doors. ;)

Think you may be misinterpreting the bright colors. Colors at either extreme(dark or bright) are stress signals.

Chams are masters when it comes to hiding illness and injuries. I can guarantee he broke some bones and you UVB definitely played a role. Chams ribs are so fragile the can be broken simply by picking them up too fast.

What do you mean by stomping and raising his hands?

F973C0C5-FF70-4E84-830C-1A7FC696AEA0.png

Think you may be misinterpreting the bright colors. Colors at either extreme(dark or bright) are stress signals.

Chams are masters when it comes to hiding illness and injuries. I can guarantee he broke some bones and you UVB definitely played a role. Chams ribs are so fragile the can be broken simply by picking them up too fast.

What do you mean by stomping and raising his hands?

View attachment 229652
He would like raise both of his hands, not rly a stomp but he rly did like raise his hands

Years ago, one of my buds had a veiled cham. Would bring him out let hie cruise the curtains, get natural light. Lil guy took a huge fall, like 7'. Lil bastard just crawled back up the curtain again, lol. Tough lil guys for sure

Years ago, one of my buds had a veiled cham. Would bring him out let hie cruise the curtains, get natural light. Lil guy took a huge fall, like 7'. Lil bastard just crawled back up the curtain again, lol. Tough lil guys for sure
Yeah

Back
Top Bottom