Falling chameleon

Hannah04

Not sure this is the right spot to be posting, so move it if need be mods!

Anyway, this morning I was sitting watching tv, and I heard a thump. I went to check on sully because he climbs the screen a lot and had been all over the screen earlier in the morning. And he was on the bottom of the cage. He NEVER goes on the bottom of his cage. So I opened the cage to and he flared up and hissed at me. He has never done this before either. Sully is very friendly..more so than I ever thought he would be. Everything seems normal, he's back up and climbing around but I'm worried that he may be hurt. (I'm a huge worrier, he is probably fine..) but is there anything I should watch for? Could the crawling and climbing on the screen be because he needs a bigger cage? (We have one in the works, but we ran out of screen. It's on order.)

Hannah

If he's climbing, eating, and drinking fine. Then he's probably fine and was just pissed cause he fell

You can add more vines and perches to keep him from claiming the screen. I also installed plastic netting inside so he could not access the metal screen

I all so worry like crazy.:eek: Just keep an eye on his for a while. As long as you don't see him favoring any part of his body, as if it hurt, then he is most likely ok. I have had a couple fall and several jump out of my hand, I have quads, they love to jump out of hands.:eek: Look to see that he follows his regular patterns as far as eating, drinking, basking and pooping. Then he is good to go.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum. Also please post a photo.

chameleons fall all the time in the wild and are very... graceful fallers.... that sounds dumb but it's true. (more jumping then falling... defensiveness and what not)

This COULD be from something in the room scaring him, not uncommon. Or possibly over extending and missing a branch.

But there's a lot you can do to keep them off the screen, more vines, foliage, and the only way to KEEP them off is a plastic screen on the inside that is not as tight so they can grip it and don't have to get their nails stuck in the aluminum mesh.

Back on topic though, after any fall and/or odd behavior just keep a close eye on the little guy and if he's acting odd then it may be something to worry about. and check his poops... i watch karma poop each chance i get... cos i'm a worry wart and i fear prolapse and if it happened on a day i couldn't keep my eyes so close i could see his cells i'd never forgive myself...

(i keep going on rants on the forums... imma go to bed. :D)

edit: ask Djturna4thakidz about the insert if you want more information as i have none... karmas walls are full of foliage cos he's a goose and climbs them.

Back
Top Bottom