Eyelid Swelling

Photos from today. They are just through the screen because I don't want to bother him. The discharge under his eye is the eye fluid still draining. Just after I put the camera down he opened the bad eye briefly. It was whitish like someone with bad cataracts.

He ate 2 silkies again today.

I can't believe it ruptured. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't. Glad to hear that he's still eating and I wish he'd get better soon.

Did the vet say how long his eyes would be oozing like that?

And after the discharge is gone will he be able to open it but not see?

On second thought, I think the eye ooze in that 2nd photo was messy silkworm eating. I believe his eye is now done oozing.

His vision in that eye will most likely be horrible. His eye is deflated which messes up focusing. He should be able to at least tell the difference between light and dark.

He got his last at home antibiotic injection. He just needs to be retested for the bacteria and his eye needs to be watched for infection.

so can your cham see out of that eye now, or is it blind on that side now?

I don't really know. He keeps it closed most of the time. I've only ever gotten one glimpse at the eye since it ruptured. I don't see how he could possibly see very well when he's missing some eye fluid and the eye is deflated. He can't see well enough to aim at crickets.

For all that have been watching this thread closely; here's an update.

This guy is a fighter.

He was on Fortaz (100mg/ml) medication for five 0.03ml injections every 48 hours and he has shown great improvement. Last injection was administered on June 27th; left eye was observed to be open more frequently, right eye had always been open. Activity level had increased during and following Fortaz medication and has been hunting silkworms, crickets without missing with this tongue using only the right eye while the left eye is kept closed.

Since then, he started to show lower activity levels, still closed left eye, and an obsessive cleaning/bulging action on the right eye. The right eye shows swelling around the ocular opening around the edges. His appetite level is surprisingly very high; eating as much as ten 3/4 inch crickets for two consecutive days (yesterday and today). The left eye; when it is open, shows a cataract like layer and is white. He seems to respond to light when the eye is open. Today, the vet was contacted and given a description of symptoms. Aegean was prescribed Zosyn (Piperacillin) (450mg/ml) to be administered five 0.04ml injections every 48 hours. The first shot was administered today in the muscle tissue of the upper right arm.

He has an appointment with the on July 24th for a check up and a possible eye cleaning pseudo-surgery. Vet will be performing the surgery under general anesthesia.

I'll be posting photos tomorrow of him showing his condition.

Thank you all for the support,
V

Current photos (July 18th, 2008)

IMG_8282_th.jpg

IMG_8267_th.jpg

IMG_8262_th.jpg

:(:(:(:(

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 20x24x36" screen cage
* Lighting - Reptiglo 5.0, normal fluorescent lights, and 60 Watt incandescent for heat are on for 11 hours a day.

Just checking but do you have a compact fluorescent for for your UVB light....

This may also be contributing to your chams eye problem...many keepers will recommend that you use a linear tube light like repti sun....

Just checking...

Hope your Chams is feeling better real soon....

OPI

Last edited:
Just checking but do you have a compact fluorescent for for your UVB light....

This may also be contributing to your chams eye problem...many keepers will recommend that you use a linear tube light like repti sun....

Just checking...

Hope your Chams is feeling better real soon....

OPI

Thanks but it's a linear bulb.

Update:

July 24th vet visit went well. Dr. Riggs performed an ultrasound imaging on his left eye. He thinks the eye is going to recover. Aegean is still drinking and eating well. Continuing Zosyn injections, every 72 hours this time.

Please comment if you know how to read these images.

V

us1.jpg

us2.jpg

us3.jpg

us4.jpg

us5.jpg

I just thought I would give an update. He's in good health other than not being able to see much out of his left eye. He can successfully hunt slow-moving bugs and has crickets held right in front of him. I'm really happy with how well he has been doing for the last couple of months considering all he's been through.

Back
Top Bottom