Eye Problems

jawether

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon – Male Veiled Chameleon, about 6 months, We have had him since November ‘09 and he was three months old then.
• Handling – almost never
• Feeding – We feed him mostly crickets and phoenix worms. We keep food in the cage all the time but he eats about 8-12 crickets or 8-10 phoenix worms. We feed him in the morning and more in the afternoon if those are gone. No gutloading for the phoenix worms and Flukers orange cubes, oranges, kale, or apples for the crickets. He eats out of a cup but will "hunt" crickets if they jump out.
• Supplements – Rep-cal with D3 daily. Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all once a week.
• Watering – Drip for 10 mins and Mist for 2 mins twice daily. Rarely see the chameleon drinking.
• Fecal Description – Never been tested. Urates are almost white (very very light yellow), droppings are solid and dark brown, kind of moist.
• History – No other health problems that we know about. We got him at the Reptile Expo from Tiki Tiki Reptiles.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – All screen, 16”x16”x30”, no substrate
• Lighting – 12 hours light and dark, Reptsun 5.0 by zoo med, and 60watt household light bulb encased in a silver dome thing to reflect the light into the cage for basking area.
• Temperature – 92 F at the basking spot, 75-80 F in the rest of the cage, and 68-70 at night. All measured with a zoo-med thermometer
• Humidity – not sure, we live in the desert so we try and keep it fairly moist by misting occasionally.
• Plants – We have two plants in the cage, umbrella and pothos. There also bamboo sticks, and T-Rex Bio Vines small and medium for him to climb on.
• Placement – The cage is in the corner of a bedroom (very low traffic) away from fans and vents, the top of the cage is only about 4 feet from the ground.
• Location – Tempe AZ

Current Problem – Our cham has a small white-ish ring around his eyeball which seems to be dry, we noticed him scratching it on a branch/vine and also using his hand? to scratch it. His eye lid has a small indent that was really dry and that looked a lot worse until I sprayed/misted him with water. Now it looks a little bit better but still a small indent. We are worried about his hydration. This is our first cham so we don’t know a ton about them. What is showering? We usually only spray his plants and cage because he always flinches when we spray him directly. Since he looked so dry I sprayed him and he didn’t seem to mind it too much and just walked away slowly. Should he be able to drink directly from the dripping tube or just off the leaves? Also he doesn’t seem very big compared to other chams at pet stores his same age. He is roughly 2.5-3” from nose to vent. Also anything else you would like to comment on about how we keep him would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• P2122083.jpg
    P2122083.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 116
  • P2122085.jpg
    P2122085.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 167
Is it stuck shed? I can't really see in those pictures? You need to dust with a calcium without d3 at most feedings, use a calcium with d3 once a week, use a multivitamin once a month.

He Is actually is a she if she is six months old. You need a laying bin that is ten inches deep and big enough for her to fit in with a few inches to spare on all sides including above so she can lay eggs if she needs to. Fill it with moist sand or moist organic fertilizer free potting soil. You need to stop feeding so much, only feed 2-3 appropriately sized crickets or equivalent of once a day or feed 5-7 crickets or equivalent of every other day. Lower her temps to 80-83 degrees, this will help prevent her from cycling eggs.

You need to gutload with greens like kale, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, and escarole. Use veggies and fruits like apple, oranges, papaya, berries, squash, sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, and carrots.

Yeah it might have been, he/she seems to be doing better now. The little indent might have always been there and I just didnt notice. I havent seen it scratch in a while. I looked at sexing in our book but it wasnt specific with veiled chams. How do you know? When we bought it the guy from tiki tiki said it was a male. I thought females werent as colorful as males. Ours is very bright from green to browns and orange, with a yellow beard. Thanks for the advice on gutloading the crickets. Will chams over eat because it seems like he just eats when he wants and how much he wants? Some days not very much but others a lot. He/she is very active and goes between the basking spot, his branch where the repti-sun is and in the plants. What is D3 and what will happen if he gets to much (because we have been feeding him it already)?

D3 is what he used to absorb calcium into his bones, unfortunately it builds up in the system and that is not good. That brand especially has a LOT in it.

Males have stripes by six months and males have little spurs on the hind feet.

Well, I say feed less because it helps prevent egg laying. Every clutch a female lays will shorten her life. Veileds, fortunately, can be prevented from laying eggs all together so they can live long healthy lives. If you would prefer a male I would tell tiki tiki about it, they are a sponsor here and I'm sure they would be glad to help.

Alright thank you so much for your help. We will change the calcium too. I think I see the spurs on his feet. So maybe he is just slow to grow.

He is not exactly photogenic but you can see on the foot in the middle of the picture what I think looks like a spur. The front feet dont have it right?

Attachments

• P2122086.jpg
    P2122086.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 119
Can you get a better picture? It looks like there might be a spur, but I'm not positive. Maybe one from directly behind the foot in good lighting.

Im sorry I dont want to pick him up. He has been picked up so much today I dont want to stress him out any more.

Attachments

• P2122087.jpg
    P2122087.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 98
Wow, that's really odd. I wonder why he doesn't have stripes yet... Maybe someone else can chime in.

yeah im not sure. We might not have been feeding him enough in the beginning like only 5 crickets or so a day with a couple of meal worms. We went to a reptile store and thats when we saw others his age a wondered why he was so small. The owner said his would eat 5 dozen crickets a day (there were 2 chams) if he let them. We decided at that point to let him eat as much as he wants and he has taken advantage of that with eating usually 10 (med sized, no wings yet but almost) a day. Can you tell me how to shower him and if it is a good idea? I really appreciate all your help! I think his eye is okay but i will keep watchin it.

Put a plant in the shower, aim the water at the wall so the spray bouncesoff and hits the plant. My panther female seemedto like the shower, but my male veiled HATED it. He tried to run away and got on the floor and slid around for a sec before I could get him.

Make sure the water is lukewarm or so. Warm to us is hot to them, keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom