Eye problems?

sylvr

Hey guys, I've noticed my little guy has been keeping his left eye shut lately and today after misting him he kept doing this (Sorry for the quality). Do you guys think he has some kind of eye problem?

Attachments

• IMG_4470.gif
    IMG_4470.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
He's a veiled chameleon, about 4 moths old (that's what I was told at the shop)

You can see in the video that he is actively cleaning his eye. More than likely he has some debris that he is trying to work out. Give him some longer misting sessions or use the shower method. The more you can do this, the faster he can clean out the debris.

Keep an eye on it. If he can't clean it, you will need to take him to a vet to flush the eye. It is simple to do, but if you are not comfortable, don't attempt it.

You can see in the video that he is actively cleaning his eye. More than likely he has some debris that he is trying to work out. Give him some longer misting sessions or use the shower method. The more you can do this, the faster he can clean out the debris.

Keep an eye on it. If he can't clean it, you will need to take him to a vet to flush the eye. It is simple to do, but if you are not comfortable, don't attempt it.
Ok, thanks !

I have a male Nosy Be and whenever he has issues like that a dose of vitamin A seems to help. I also set the misting system to do several 1 hour runs throughout the day. Chams clean the eyes during heavy misting sessions however I have found that its usually a vitamin A issue that is the root cause of the eye irritation.

I have a male Nosy Be and whenever he has issues like that a dose of vitamin A seems to help. I also set the misting system to do several 1 hour runs throughout the day. Chams clean the eyes during heavy misting sessions however I have found that its usually a vitamin A issue that is the root cause of the eye irritation.
What brand of vitamin A should I buy ?

The brand does not matter as much. What is important is to buy the kind of vitamin A as mentioned in the avobe mentioned/posted thread on eye health! And I promise, as long as you do not overdose, and as long as the eye problem is not due to an infection or something that got in the eye (like a peace of skin/shed) he is very likely to improve if you give the vitamin A!

It seems like our chameleons little bodies runs out of or uses up all the remaining vitamin A that they got from their mommies (as it was deposited in the egg yolk your chameleon life off when they were still in the egg) between the ages 4 and 8 monts, just when they need it the most as they go through their teenage growth spurt! That is also when we see a sudden increase in eye problems!

What my vet told me to do was once per week take a vitamin A capsule and poke a hole in it. Put a tiny dab of the vitamin-A oil on the back of a cricket or other feeder insect and give that to the chameleon. Its pretty easy for me because all my chams will take food from my hand. Then he suggested using a supplement with vitamin A acetate in it. He specifically told me not to use a supplement that provides vitamin a in Beta Carotene form because he believes chameleons may not be able to convert beta carotene into vitamin A in sufficient levels if at all. What I have been using is Repashy Vitamin A Plus once per week.

I have not had a recurrence of the eye problem since using the Repashy. I must point out that all my chams had a similar issue with their eyes but it seemed to occur around 6 months to one year of age.

I also recommend finding a competent veterinarian who has experience with Chameleons. Vitamin A can cause some very serious side affects if misused.

Good luck.

What my vet told me to do was once per week take a vitamin A capsule and poke a hole in it. Put a tiny dab of the vitamin-A oil on the back of a cricket or other feeder insect and give that to the chameleon. Its pretty easy for me because all my chams will take food from my hand. Then he suggested using a supplement with vitamin A acetate in it. He specifically told me not to use a supplement that provides vitamin a in Beta Carotene form because he believes chameleons may not be able to convert beta carotene into vitamin A in sufficient levels if at all. What I have been using is Repashy Vitamin A Plus once per week.

I have not had a recurrence of the eye problem since using the Repashy. I must point out that all my chams had a similar issue with their eyes but it seemed to occur around 6 months to one year of age.

I also recommend finding a competent veterinarian who has experience with Chameleons. Vitamin A can cause some very serious side affects if misused.

Good luck.
Thank you so much guys !

I hate it when chameleons die from things that I think the odds are that we could prevent! That is why I start threads like the ones I refered to! The collective experience we all have who are members here should be enough that if we put our heads together we would revolutionize chameleon keeping! So please, if you learn something that could help, please add you knowledge and experience to those threads ( https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...nced-keepers-please-share-your-wisdom.152159/ and the other one https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...enace-that-causes-many-other-problems.153693/ ). Everyone's colaborative help is and will be appreciated for years to come!

Back
Top Bottom