eye problem

stacy thornton

my chamelion has been staying on the bottom of the cage for a couple days now, he wont open one of his eyes, i think that's why he's not climbing, he can't see on one side. is there anything i can do before taking to a vet?

my chamelion has been staying on the bottom of the cage for a couple days now, he wont open one of his eyes, i think that's why he's not climbing, he can't see on one side. is there anything i can do before taking to a vet?

jackson's chamelion had about 1 year do not handle him feed him crickets with calcium and vit d and multivitamins feed about 6 a day he drinks out of the water bowl also spray the cage every day his poop looks fine dark and white
his cage is 18 x 18 inches square and 4 foot 2 inches tall, the bottom half is glass and the top half is screen use a repti-glo 5.0 spiral light bulb and a purple heat bulb the temp in the glass part stays at 75 and the humidity is 55 the height from the floor is 27 inches
we are in florida

It may be the UVB light that is making it shut its eyes...some of the spiral, compacts and even long tube lights have caused eye/health issues...
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 UVB tube light since it has no bad reports against it.

jackson's chamelion had about 1 year do not handle him feed him crickets with calcium and vit d and multivitamins feed about 6 a day he drinks out of the water bowl also spray the cage every day his poop looks fine dark and white
his cage is 18 x 18 inches square and 4 foot 2 inches tall, the bottom half is glass and the top half is screen use a repti-glo 5.0 spiral light bulb and a purple heat bulb the temp in the glass part stays at 75 and the humidity is 55 the height from the floor is 27 inches
we are in florida

What is your supplementing schedule exactly?
Why do you have a water bowl? It can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
What do you gutload your crickets with?
How often do you mist and for how long?
Why do you have a purple heat bulb? You can use a regular 50-60 watt hosue bulb. THis could be why your cham is closing his eye.
What is in the cage, live plants, fake ones. etc?
What is the temp at the top where his basking spot is?

he has climbed up to the middle of the cage now, he is eating. i took the purple light out and put a new repti-glo 5.0 bulb in. i kept the water bowl because he drinks out of it a lot. rarely see him drink off the plants. the plants are fake. i spray the cage down twice a day. the crickets are powdered with calcium and vitamin d and multi vitamins.

he has climbed up to the middle of the cage now, he is eating. i took the purple light out and put a new repti-glo 5.0 bulb in. i kept the water bowl because he drinks out of it a lot. rarely see him drink off the plants. the plants are fake. i spray the cage down twice a day. the crickets are powdered with calcium and vitamin d and multi vitamins.

Are you dusting your crickets with all 3 of those at the same time?
SO do you have 2 uvb bulbs now?

yes, i am dusting with all supplements and using 2 bulbs, one is probably ready to be changed out anyway. one bulb is about 9 months old.

yes, i am dusting with all supplements and using 2 bulbs, one is probably ready to be changed out anyway. one bulb is about 9 months old.
Ok, a few things.
1- you arent supposed to use all 3 supplements at the same time.
calcium without d3 and phosphorus eveyr feeding.
calcium with d3 2 times a month.
multivitamin 2 times amonth.
2- you dont need two uvb bulbs. ytou need 1 uvb 5.0, and one 50-60 watt house bulb for basking.
3- try geting some real plants, pothos, hybiscus, scheffelara, it helps with humidity, and chams enjoy munching them.
4- while your cham does drink out of the bowl, it is not recommended to have one. Unless you thouroughly clean it everyday, it can grow bacteria which can make your cham sick. I would suggest removing it and getting a dripper and using that, and misting for about 2 minutes 3-5 times a day, depending on the temps. But making sure the cage dries out between mistings.
5- Just bc you dont see him drink from mistings, doesnt mean he is. I have had my cham for 6 months and have only seen him drink 3 times total. but I know hes hydrated bc of his urates and his eyes.
6- since you arent buying crickets every single day, whwat do you gutload your crickets with? you are keeping them somewhere, so what do you feed them to keep them alive until its time to feed them off to your cham?
too much supplementing and too much uvb can be making your cham shut their eyes.

will change his vitamin routine, thanks for the info have had different people tell me different things about the supplements. i am feeding the crickets potatoes and apples, think i should get some cricket food at the pet store..
don't really know if the people at the pet store have correct info. they act like they know what their talking about, but don't think they do. they told me it was ok to dust all the vitamins together all the time, i did question that, because at first i wasn't doing it all the time. i wrote the info down, thanks!

will change his vitamin routine, thanks for the info have had different people tell me different things about the supplements. i am feeding the crickets potatoes and apples, think i should get some cricket food at the pet store..
don't really know if the people at the pet store have correct info. they act like they know what their talking about, but don't think they do. they told me it was ok to dust all the vitamins together all the time, i did question that, because at first i wasn't doing it all the time. i wrote the info down, thanks!

No problem. I didnt get told about any supplements when i got my guy. this forum helped me out.
potatoes and apples are good, but you can do more to help. mustard greens, dandilion leaves, carrots, oranges. I dunno about the store bought cricket food.
Just make sure you change your bulbs to the correct ones, as these can affect the eyes.
After you make these changes, let us know how your cham is doing. These changes will make your cham feel better and will probably fix any problem you are currently experiencing with him.

Back
Top Bottom