Eye problem?

Jerambis

On my 3 month old panther I have noticed that one of his eyes is not nearly as bulgy as the other. Also at night when he sleeps that same eye does not shut. It looks as if he rolls his eye back when he sleeps, but the skin on the outside does not pinch shut like it does with the rest of my chams. I know he gets enough water, by the way his poop looks. Has anyone heard of this before? Any help is appreciated.

Just because a chameleons poop signals that it is hydrated, doesn't mean that it's eyes are. Unlike us, chameleons don't really produce a tear or mucus to battle dry eyes. If the problem you are seeing is related to hydration, it would be because the chameleon eyes are not absorbing water, and so you'll need to mist more throughly and simulate a rain shower.

Remember, always over water, rather than underwater. Rain, not a light mist.

I Reply Not To Challenge You, Just To See A Different Opinion Or Gain More Knowledge.
I Am Questioning Your Opinion To Over Water. I Speek Only Of Veiled Chameleon's With The Watering Issue. I Have In The Past Over Watered Them And Have Had Breathing Problems. From My Experience And My Mentor's Also, I Have Found That The Veiled Is "the Camel" Of The Chameleon World. I Water By Dripper Once A Day And Mist At The Same Time And Have Had High Success. I Have Thought Of Yemen And Saudi Arabia Where They Originate And Have Learned That It Is A Very Arrid Place. I Have Had Eye Injuries With A Few Veileds And Of Course Lubrication Was Helpful But Only In Extreme Circumstances. With Panther's I Cannot Question Your Advice At All. With All Respect, Dave

I Reply Not To Challenge You, Just To See A Different Opinion Or Gain More Knowledge.
I Am Questioning Your Opinion To Over Water. I Speek Only Of Veiled Chameleon's With The Watering Issue. I Have In The Past Over Watered Them And Have Had Breathing Problems. From My Experience And My Mentor's Also, I Have Found That The Veiled Is "the Camel" Of The Chameleon World. I Water By Dripper Once A Day And Mist At The Same Time And Have Had High Success. I Have Thought Of Yemen And Saudi Arabia Where They Originate And Have Learned That It Is A Very Arrid Place. I Have Had Eye Injuries With A Few Veileds And Of Course Lubrication Was Helpful But Only In Extreme Circumstances. With Panther's I Cannot Question Your Advice At All. With All Respect, Dave

Admittedly I left out what I considered to be obvious, that over watering doesn't mean that the enclosure never dries out, or that the humidity never falls, but rather that you give abundant opportunities for the chameleon to drink and absorb water and that you provide a rainfall, and not a light mist with a hand spray bottle.

And yes, I was speaking in terms of F.pardalis though it does parallel with many species.

Can you take a picture of your panther's eye? Is it possible it has been physically injured? From your description, it isn't swollen.. rather, the reverse. How about some history on your panther? How long have you had him? Who did you get him from? How long has he had this problem? Can he see from the eye? Is he able to hunt? Are there any other signs that he may be ill? How does the eye look when he is awake? I would be very concerned about the fact that he actually can't close his eye. Any discharge? Is it possible it is a birth defect of some sort?

Enough questions? :D While you are at it.. how about some information on his setup? This list is from the sticky at the top of the page that says "How to ask for help." If you give us a bit of a rundown of how you are keeping your chameleon, we may be able to spot something that is off kilter.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
  • Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
  • Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.
Pictures can really help as well.

I have done everything with him that I have done with my other two panthers and they are doing perfectly fine, it has nothing to do with husbandry.

He does everything perfectly fine. He hunts perfect he seems to see excellent out of that eye. He occasionally has white discharge from his nostril, but not very frequently. There is no discharge from his eye at all. He can close it if water is sprayed onto it, but when he sleeps the skin remains open, not pinched shut like normal. The other thing is that it does not bother him in ANY way. The strangest thing is that it does not look like his eye could be any bulgier because his skin looks so tight. It is not sagging or sunk in like it would be if he was dehydrated. I think I might take him to a vet, because it seems like some sort of birth defect. Just wanted to check here first to see if anyone has heard anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom