eye crust?

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
about a day ago I noticed something strange poking out of my veiled chams eye it looked like it was severely bothering him so I got a pair of tweezers and removed it as he was unable to close his eye. this is also happening on the other side of his eye but I cant seem to take a good look as it is right inside his eye socket. I didn't try to remove that one in fear of scratching his eye. he did recently shed and I was wondering about eye cap problems chameleons could have or if this is something else.

about a day ago I noticed something strange poking out of my veiled chams eye it looked like it was severely bothering him so I got a pair of tweezers and removed it as he was unable to close his eye. this is also happening on the other side of his eye but I cant seem to take a good look as it is right inside his eye socket. I didn't try to remove that one in fear of scratching his eye. he did recently shed and I was wondering about eye cap problems chameleons could have or if this is something else.
Let’s start by answering the questions below in detail. Please provide pics of your entire viv and your Cham.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Need too give more info on how your cage is set up. So we can help you better. And sounds like you need to take it to a vet.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Let’s start by answering the questions below in detail. Please provide pics of your entire viv and your Cham.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Sorry you beat me to it.

Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male, and 3yrs. 2 weeks

◦ Handling - Three times a week

◦ Feeding - crickets as a staple diet hornworms and superworms as a treat. 10-12 crickets. every day. cricket diet cubes (flukers)

◦ Supplements - reptical with d3 once a week without d3 every day

◦ Watering - misting and waterfall 10 mins once in the morning once at night, yes.

◦ Fecal Description - brown and urine is pure white. no

◦ History - he came from a home that basically neglected him and didn't really check him daily like I do. they just fed him, had an automatic mister but the previous owner had like 30 other pets too.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - exo terra 18x18x24 (upgrading soon)

◦ Lighting - reptisun 5.0 uvb and ceramic heat bulb 75 w. 12 hrs on, 12 hrs off.

◦ Temperature - about 90 degree basking spot, 70 degree at the lowest point, in cage thermometers.

◦ Humidity - 60%. Daily misting. hydrometer.

◦ Plants - plastic plants

◦ Placement - top floor in my room away from fans and windows only able to view people from the front of his cage as it is surrounded by walls and shelves.

◦ Location - Maryland

Current Problem - about a day ago I noticed something strange poking out of my veiled chams eye it looked like it was severely bothering him so I got a pair of tweezers and removed it as he was unable to close his eye. this is also happening on the other side of his eye but I cant seem to take a good look as it is right inside his eye socket. I didn't try to remove that one in fear of scratching his eye. he did recently shed and I was wondering about eye cap problems chameleons could have or if this is something else.

I am unable to post pics as I don't have a phone and am on my laptop currently, for some reason it wont let me upload

You are over supplementing the D3, it should only be given 2 times a month.

Where is your multivitamin?

You need a real gutload, cubes are useless. I recommend cricket crack.
1C4DCC06-FEC3-4DBE-98AE-855E74F7586D.png

Do you see your Cham cleaning his eyes during those two 10 min misting sessions? Are you misting by hand or do you have an automatic setup?

I was wondering if chameleons shed any eye caps they may have and if that is whats stuck in his eye. yes he does clean his eyes and I hand mist.

Waterfalls are biological time bombs. They promote the growth dangerous bacteria and are notorious for landing many chams in the Vet ER. Just search waterfalls on this forum, you’ll get more results than you could ever read...

The enclosure you're keeping him in isn't even big enough to keep a juvenile veiled chameleon in... You've had this animal for nearly two weeks now, so what's the hold-up? He needed a 24x24x48" enclosure approximately 2.5 years ago. This honestly needs to be a top priority.

Chameleons' eyes are in turrets, so I don't think they share that anatomy with snakes. I've never heard the term before. However, they do indeed shed the skin on their eye turrets, so it's possible you're seeing the remains of a past shed

yea we're getting him the skyscraper from zoo med asap but the turret thing I what I was trying to say I just didn't know what they were called, it got stuck in his eyes and I ended up removing it and I didn't know what it was because it was hard like a rock

so still, does anybody know about the substance in his eye because that is of upmost importance to me right now, the health of my companions come before anything else and some unknown substance is still preventing him from closing his eye

Back
Top Bottom