Eye closed

Elbow looks fine to me...
I did fill that out...did you see it?
His cage looks good, but you could add some more branches and vines throughout, mostly horizontal. His front left leg looks a little bendy, could be a sign of MBD. Not trying to scare you, my Ambilobe came to me with parasites, MBD, and no working tongue. The breeder was supposedly good and I didn’t notice anything until a week after I got him and took him to the vet. The MBD hasn’t progressed, he’s parasite free now, but still can’t use his tongue. It’s not always our fault when our chams are sick.
Sorry to hear about your fella - glad he has a keeper who cares!

Elbow also looks fine to me. Nice enclosure. I had a similar problem with an ambilobe male just 2 months ago here is what i did to fix it. I found out i have a 12% uvb on his enclosure instead of a 6% so i switched it to a 6% arcadia t5. He loves to bask under his uvb right out in the open so it may have been to much exposure, since he basks 6 inches from it. If you have 2, 6% uvb bulbs id recommend switching one out since your enclosure is not dense with foliage. switch it to a 6500k grow bulb or something. I increased misting and give daily luke warm showers (10-15 mins on a plant in the shower. Place him so the water bounces off the wall and gently on to him) his eye began to get better from this after about a week. I then bought liquid gel vitamin A capsules (10,000 IU Palmitate) poked a small hole in one with with a pin and placed one tiny drop on one cricket and fed him. Eye shed 4 days later and he has been good ever since.
I will keep this in mind. I have heard of this before but dont have it copied down. NOTE TAKEN :)

@Jennyontheblock Sounds like you're doing great! I was also worried about my cham spending practically all of his time in the upper 1/4 - 1/3 of his enclosure, but this can be normal behavior. I also recommend placing the grow light on the top of the enclosure instead of the side, even if it seems like your cham likes it. It might be worth doing some more research on this one, but I've always gotten the impression on this site that it's generally not a good practice to put lights on the side like that. Having said that, I do have a floor lamp about 2-3 feet away from my enclosure that has daylight bulbs in them, and I do think that helps brighten the overall enclosure when I'm not home and I don't want to leave my ceiling lights on in that room.

Hope this helps, good luck getting his eye back to 100%, and I'm glad there aren't any more serious issues! :)

Thanks for getting him to a vet asap. Most of these posts are "how can I avoid taking my sick cham to the vet"
I have been watching and reading posts for years. I read way to many "help" posts because I feel its a guide to common mistakes made in husbandry. Its hard to be silent at times when folks ask for help and then refuse the useful info presented. Im all about husbandry and if there's a better way, well show me the way! Not everyone can afford 2 days off work AND a trip to the vet - I wish all pet owners would consider this before they assume such a responsibility.

@Jennyontheblock Sounds like you're doing great! I was also worried about my cham spending practically all of his time in the upper 1/4 - 1/3 of his enclosure, but this can be normal behavior. I also recommend placing the grow light on the top of the enclosure instead of the side, even if it seems like your cham likes it. It might be worth doing some more research on this one, but I've always gotten the impression on this site that it's generally not a good practice to put lights on the side like that. Having said that, I do have a floor lamp about 2-3 feet away from my enclosure that has daylight bulbs in them, and I do think that helps brighten the overall enclosure when I'm not home and I don't want to leave my ceiling lights on in that room.

Hope this helps, good luck getting his eye back to 100%, and I'm glad there aren't any more serious issues! :)
Thanks! I hope this works too! I need to sleep :)

He might need more crickets/dubias given each feeding than that. Did you read the panther care sheet here? You should only give him one multivitamin monthly, if at all, with Repashy Calcium Plus. His eyes look a little sunken in, could he be dehydrated? Every ten days is a long time to go without pooping. Orange urates means at least dehydration, if not something more. Remember to take a fecal sample with you to the vet! Did you take him to the vet when he ate the vines? Were they fake or real? He needs a screen cage at minimum size of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall! When you get the money, get an Arcadia t5HO linear 6% bulb and fixture. Take off the LED light from the side of the cage and put it on top. A cham should have 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness, what temp does it drop to at night? Maybe get a humidifier for nighttime? If he tries to come out, it means he wants to get out to explore elsewhere. Could you post a pic of his cage, please? Is his cage on the ground or in a stand? Good call on going to the vet ASAP!
20181123_184733.jpg

Back
Top Bottom