Eye closed, not using tongue

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male panther 2.5yr old since baby
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Monthly to weigh
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets main, dubia, hornworms, all gutloaded w bug burger, carrots, mustard greens bee pollen, Arcadia dry. Was eating about 6- 10 per day, food always available.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Arcadia no d3, daily. With d3 2x month, vitamin 2x month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Ro water set up on mist king. 1 min bursts 2 xs while he is sleeping to up humidity and 10 min am, 5 min mid day, and 5 min hour before bed.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Negative for parasites 6 months ago, looking like he is drinking less so added more hornworms to diet. Poops 1x week
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Till last October or so, I had been given bad info and used calcium plus for every feeding. He started closing they eye. Saw vet. Eye was good and fecal clear. Stopped all supplement for month and started with new schedule, got new Arcadia bulb. Things seemed to clear up. His eye would close periodically but was told this may be permanent. Back from 2 week vacation and noticed he didnt go after food, missed when striking a hornworm at close distance.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 36x18 x 36 exoterra bioactive with fan blowing across top for better chimney effect
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Arcadia 4 bulb t5 ho. ( 1 )6% uvb testl plant lights, 1 small led for plants in corner, basking light with normal house bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Mid 70s to mid 80s...basking 90. Drops to 69, 70 night at bottom
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 24 hr temp, humidity gauge. 40- 70 day with spikes to 90 when misting, 60-90 night
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live, bromeliads, orchids, draceanna
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Basement, low traffic, 3' off ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located. Cleveland, ohio

So I would adjust to an every other day feeding. What was his last weight?
Also can you be more specific in your supplements?
Arcadia guidelines for use is:
Earthpro A at feedings 1,2,3,5,6,7
Earthpro Cal- MG at feeding 4
Then a vitamin supplement with Preformed A at feeding 8.
Doing it in a cycle of 1-8 then repeat...

The only husbandry thing I see is cage size, but this isn't the source of the issue and you seem to know what you're doing anyway. What multivitamin are you using now and which for D3?

Attachments

• 20190504_183614.jpg
    20190504_183614.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 115
So I would adjust to an every other day feeding. What was his last weight?
Also can you be more specific in your supplements?
Then a vitamin supplement with Preformed A at feeding 8.
168 grams, same as last few months. Up from 147 last November

There's not a huge difference as far as square inch space between the two. 36x18x36=23,328sq in space
24x24x48=27,648sq in space.

I really don't feel this is your issue though. I have also seen many chameleon owners successfully use your setup with male Panthers.

Will check. I do have a bottle of repashy vitamin A plus. Worried of overdose him so I haven't used it in a few months. Instead, I did the drop of A palmitate on a hornworm 1x a month as this was recommended.
I use Repashy Vitamin A Plus once every 3 weeks with great success. The palmitate is also a great method. I love your enclosure btw!

Can you post pics of the eye please?

So none of the supplements you use have a Preformed vitamin A... You could keep using rep cal but I would add in once a month using 1 drop only from a gelcap of preformed Vitamin A 8,000-10,000 IU on one feeder. Typically using a hornworm makes this easier.

Or you can replace the repcal and use repashy supervite.. This has Calcium with D3 and preformed vitamin A.
Then a vitamin supplement with Preformed A at feeding 8. (ADD IN HERE THE SUPERVITE)

@Matt Vanilla Gorilla @Brodybreaux25 @jamest0o0 @GoodKarma19 any ideas?

I'm unfamiliar with Arcadia supplements. I knew of them I just don't use them. @Beman do you know if those carry vit a Retinol?
Nope none of them do. I heard that they are working on a new one now that does but it will be awhile before that gets released. I just posted their recommendations for supplementation schedule. It is quite different then how we typically recommend supplements be used. I use repashy supervite for preformed A and D3.

Back
Top Bottom