Extreme Home Makeover: Pygmy Edition

well... I kinda agree with eisentrauti -- it does look a tad small/sparse for three brevs but if you have had success with this -- I not gonna argue.

I like the sound of your clean-up crew. Currently I have springtails only, and am trying to figure out if I should capture or purchase isopods.

Okay, on 2nd look I see it is a 20 long -- guess the height kinda weired me out.

Last edited:
The pictures I have taken are not finalized pictures. Theres still some ferns & other vegetation that have yet to go in there. Some people keep a trio in a 10 gal....

The pictures I have taken are not finalized pictures. Theres still some ferns & other vegetation that have yet to go in there. Some people keep a trio in a 10 gal....

Well, I know that I will never get any of those cool reptutation points with my posts, but do you think it's good to orient yourself one the ones which gave them even smaller enclosures ?
It's a fact that stumptailed chameleons communicate with each other and that they are territorial like any other chameleon species. They just don't have the impressive visual options which bigger species have, so it's difficult for us to notice that.

Another fact: How many keepers do you know which keep brevicaudatus for long periods successfully in groups ? The majority of those experiments end up with a thread like "Oh my god ! My pygmy called xy passed away and I don't know why !" ...

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but it's my opinion. An article of Dr.Nico Lutzmann, a German herpetologist who has wrote his Ph.D about the chameleons of Madagascar, describes very well the aggressive innerracial behaviour of R.brevicaudatus

I have a trio in a 10 gallon and so far so good. There are lots of sticks and plants. The male likes to perch on the sticks in the middle and peruse his habitat and keep an eye on his ladies. The girls tend to each stay on a side, but sometimes they all huddle up for awhile chit chatting I guess. You know how girls like to catch up on the gossip.

Attachments

• DSC01849.jpg
    DSC01849.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 156
I have a trio in a 10 gallon and so far so good. There are lots of sticks and plants. The male likes to perch on the sticks in the middle and peruse his habitat and keep an eye on his ladies. The girls tend to each stay on a side, but sometimes they all huddle up for awhile chit chatting I guess. You know how girls like to catch up on the gossip.

Do you think 10 gallons - 3? gallons substrate are really suitable for the little chams ?
Or that it is a good sign that the female stay on "their" sides ? There are way too less visual barriers in this enclosure and nearly no climbing options.
For a single animals those enclosure are ok but never for a group
Additionally the not really existing air flow isn't great for the life expectancy

I just redid the enclosure and the plants haven't grown yet. All the research I did on brevs said that 3 in a 10 gallon was maximum. So, I guess I will see. These are still small and if I see problems I will buy a 20 gallon.

Hi

Do you have a heat lamp or uv bulbs for your pygmys?? I have heard so many different stories about how they need both or they don't need either and I want the best for mine...Which I'm hoping to get as soon as this problem is resolved :)

Love your terrarium and chams :D x

Looks like one of your girls is very preggers. Did she lay eggs? Got any babies? Thanks for the isopods.

Looks like one of your girls is very preggers. Did she lay eggs? Got any babies? Thanks for the isopods.

Yea, she layed the other day...your welcom, hope that was enough, there was a lot of babies though.

To the other person, yes I use a UV light but its only a 2.0 and it is dimmed down a bit by all the plants.

Back
Top Bottom