Experiment Of Solving Respiratory Infection For Chameleons.

dasher256

Experiment of solving RI for chameleons.

I have been trying to solve my young baby yemens RI infection without taking her to the vet because I had issues finding one close to me, my experiment was steaming up my bathroom till its pure white and then take my chameleon in there with me for 5-10 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Just to inform people to not put a chameleon in the actual stream of water, all they need is the steam and please no bad comments because this is working and she is getting much better day by day. Thank you.

Day 1: I did it at 12am for 5 minutes and noticed no popping or wheezing noises coming from Roxy (chameleon), but when I put her back into her tank she kept making a popping noise and a occasional wheezing sound so it didn't work then. I tried it in the afternoon at 7pm for 10 minutes, no sound in the shower and when I put her back in her tank I heard nothing for 2 hours until I turned the lights off, and when she was trying to sleep she made a few noises and then no more.

Day2: woke up at 9am and turned her lights on and saw she was slowly getting better because normally it would take her 2-3 steps and she starts making noise, but now she was doing it less regularly. So I took her to the shower at 12am again for 10 minutes this time and she was alright for a couple of hours, before she then made a small amount of popping noise but no wheezing sounds, she was doing well then. By the time I got back home around 6pm she kept making noise again so I took her for a shower straight away at 6pm for 5 minutes and she was ok, so I did it again at 7.30pm for 10 minutes and gave her a nice warm spray to enjoy warm water before bed and heard no noise from her.

Day 3: woke up at 8am and turned her lights on and heard no noise at all but I didn't want to risk it so I took her into the shower for 10 minutes at 11am and she was fine and when I came back in the evening at 8.30pm she made a few noises so I did 10 more minutes of steam for her and she was fine. At 10pm her lights went off for the night and still no sounds.

Day 4: woke up at 9am and heard Roxy do a popping noise once so at 12am took her in a steaming shower and heard no noise but still not risking stopping the steaming sessions, I did this at 3pm and 6pm again and heard no popping noises all day and she looks like she is getting much better.

Day 5: no popping or wheezing sounds all day and believe she is getting very well and might be healed already but still not risking and will do it for a few more days and see if she has completely got rid of it.

Will continue this every 2 days informing how her progress is going and how her health is, just to point out a few points. I caught her having RI in a early stage so it most likely was not the biggest issue but it has helped her a lot and her health has been getting better and since today (Day 4) she has started eating properly because I think RI was causing her not too eat properly but that's what I believe; but for a little girl who is only around 2-2 1/2 months old she managed to eat around 9 fruit flys and 8 crickets and all have been counted. Thank you for reading this and will keep this thread continued for people who would like to follow it.

That's basically what my vet would have me do along with an antibiotic when my chameleons had an RI.

That's basically what my vet would have me do along with an antibiotic when my chameleons had an RI.

I would agree that all the mistings would treat the symptoms but not the bacteria that caused it in the first place. That's where the antibiotics come in.:)

You should also raise the basking temps a few degrees. Don't overdo it - but an increased temperature will help. I had one showing possible early signs of an RI and I increased his temps. When I took him to the vet he was fine and the vet agreed that increasing temps was what to do.

I just got one yesterday with an RI that is getting the shower/humidity treatment and well as increased temps. He is pretty bad though and will likely need a vet sooner rather than later.

A warm mist humidifer in an enclosed area might be an easier and more economical solution.

Good luck and keep us posted. At the very least, I bet this method could be used to cure RI in its very early stages (when gaping is occuring without a lot of popping and wheezing).

Lets us know if it works. I would say if a few weeks pass and it does not return you are out of the woods. It will be interesting to see if a bacteria can be cured without drugs. Also have you evaluated your set up and made necessary changes which caused the Ri? You need to get to the source of the infection

Lets us know if it works. I would say if a few weeks pass and it does not return you are out of the woods. It will be interesting to see if a bacteria can be cured without drugs. Also have you evaluated your set up and made necessary changes which caused the Ri? You need to get to the source of the infection

RI's can also be viral or fungal. I would think that if it is a virus, antibiotics would do no good?

Hi! I am currently trying this for my veiled, Zelda. Can you tell me how Roxy is doing? I hope she's made a full recovery!

RI's can also be viral or fungal. I would think that if it is a virus, antibiotics would do no good?

When a virus is the primary cause antibiotics are not going to treat that, true. However, that virus is going to cause inflammation and stress/illness weakens the immune system and combined with tissue inflammation it is easy for a secondary bacterial infection to take root, and then that can make the problem doubly worse very quickly. So even in cases of viral infections bacteria can still be a serious culprit. That's where antibiotics come into play.

Simple nebulization (steam) is not going to cure the problem, only help alleviate the symptoms. Some animals will be able to overcome minor illnesses so the nebulization just helps them feel better until their immune system can fight it off. However, there are many animals who cannot overcome infection on their own and if you are alleviating the symptoms while the infection worsens you are only delaying treatment by hiding the severity of the illness. This is not a cure method and should not be relied upon solely.

When a virus is the primary cause antibiotics are not going to treat that, true. However, that virus is going to cause inflammation and stress/illness weakens the immune system and combined with tissue inflammation it is easy for a secondary bacterial infection to take root, and then that can make the problem doubly worse very quickly. So even in cases of viral infections bacteria can still be a serious culprit. That's where antibiotics come into play.

Simple nebulization (steam) is not going to cure the problem, only help alleviate the symptoms. Some animals will be able to overcome minor illnesses so the nebulization just helps them feel better until their immune system can fight it off. However, there are many animals who cannot overcome infection on their own and if you are alleviating the symptoms while the infection worsens you are only delaying treatment by hiding the severity of the illness. This is not a cure method and should not be relied upon solely.

thank you.

I notice an improvement in symptoms after the shower treatment but it is short-lived. Hopefully the antibiotics will start making more of an improvement than I've seen so far. Still a lot of saliva but his eyes are clear and open. I continue twice daily 30 minute showers as the steam/humidity does offer him some relief as well as provide drinking opportunities.

I keep brazilian rainbow boas also and I had one come down with a URI, (I cooled her too much before breeding). The protocol was to use less humidity and warmer ambient temps. Why is it different for chameleons. BRBs are high humidity creatures also. Is the moisture not going to exacerbate the problem? Im not arguing, just curious.

I keep brazilian rainbow boas also and I had one come down with a URI, (I cooled her too much before breeding). The protocol was to use less humidity and warmer ambient temps. Why is it different for chameleons. BRBs are high humidity creatures also. Is the moisture not going to exacerbate the problem? Im not arguing, just curious.

I also use warmer temps. And I do not keep them in a humid environment all the time when they have an RI , I steam him in the shower twice a day - it helps him breath better.

Also, antibiotics are very tough on a chameleons kidneys - they need plenty of water while on them so time in the shower helps with hydration. I don't like to put chameleons on antibiotics - especially melleri - but this one was not in a state he could fight it off or any home remedies or over the counter treatments would be any good.

No problem. :) I wouldn't do the steam/high humidity at all times, like princess said. Just periods of high humidity (like twice a day) to loosen it up, but then in between you want it to dry out so there's contrast. Warmer temperatures can also help their immune system fight off the infection, but still be careful to have different thermoregulatory zones so they don't overheat.

Sorry For Late Reply

im sorry for replying to this late as i completely forget i have posted this :( well all i can say is she is well now :) after doing shower and made her basking 95f when it was 85f she has gotten much better and for the past 2 weeks been eating like a pig :) yesterday she managed to eat 8 crickets, 13 fruit flys and 4 wax moths :D believe its all gone as i have been watching her everyday to see if anything is wrogn but she has been alright now :)

That is great news!. Like Ferrit said though, some animals can overcome the illness on their own without antibiotics and some cannot so your treatment might not be for everyone. I am glad it worked for you.

Yay! So glad to hear! I started antibiotic with my Cham plus the steam and she is slowly getting better.

Back
Top Bottom