Experienced Jackson's Keepers - Opinions Needed

studio2eight

After reading another thread on care for young Jackson's yesterday - I realized I didn't have my guy's enclosure set up correctly. I immediately got the extras I was missing and re-did his cage.

I would greatly appreciate some of your opinions to make sure I have everything he needs.

Here is the enclosure set up as said in the video - a warm dry side, and a cool wet side. Heat light is set at an angle as also pointed out in the video, temperature is at a steady 78 degrees. UVB in the center. Fogger set up on the other side for humidity. The blue tape is holding the tube for the little dripper, and I have a plastic cup with a lid (holes poked in) for drainage.

photo2_zps0ab2ebec.jpg

This time the dripper is in place.

photo1_zpsdcea58a9.jpg

Here is a close up of the lighting - heat light at an angle.

photo4_zps595cef2b.jpg

Inside the enclosure, I replaced the fake foliage with a real tree. I was planning on leaving the fake ones in there until it was time to move him into a larger cage, but they absorbed the water instead of it staying on the surface for him to drink. I was able to cut this plant down to size thankfully. There are also several branches set up, all different levels. Some covered, some out in the open.

photo6_zpscdee735a.jpg

Here's a close up of the inside, you can see him on the right side :) and the fog coming in.

photo3_zpsdf256ca0.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Wow great setup!! I really like it. If I were you, I would try to add maybe a couple vines in there and maybe another small plant and a few more branches so your chameleon could explore a little more.

i think i like it too.
be interested to see what a.j. and jdog think.
i think i will try to post my jax cage too.:eek:

nice set up! it looks like you have towels on the bottoms or are they paper towels? how often do you change those? have you noticed your jacksons hanging out more in the dark and wet area?

i also agree with seb! but looks great!

i think i like it too.
be interested to see what a.j. and jdog think.
i think i will try to post my jax cage too.:eek:

how is your jax doing! :D

seems real good, thx for asking.
he is really active and goes to the feeder cup every morning.

how bout ur cham/chams?

i am afraid a year from now i will have more than 3 chams tho:eek:

Thanks for the replies! They are hand cloths, I change them every morning. I'll look into another plant and some more branches for him. The new ones that I put in there so far, he's all over them :)

I noticed this morning, he was hanging out in the wet side. He spent a good amount of time directly under the fogger!

It looks good, but i would recommend more foliage and sticks/branches for pathways.

Have you measured temperatures inside the cage? It is important to provide a proper gradient of temperatures.

With my jacksons I provide temps of 85 in the absolute hottest area all the way down to 70-72 near the bottom of the enclosure. With a gradient like this and enough foliage and pathways they can move in and out of exposure areas as they please.

Be sure to not keep the cage wet at all times as this can lead to respiratory and/or other bacteria issues.

It looks good, but i would recommend more foliage and sticks/branches for pathways.

Have you measured temperatures inside the cage? It is important to provide a proper gradient of temperatures.

With my jacksons I provide temps of 85 in the absolute hottest area all the way down to 70-72 near the bottom of the enclosure. With a gradient like this and enough foliage and pathways they can move in and out of exposure areas as they please.

Be sure to not keep the cage wet at all times as this can lead to respiratory and/or other bacteria issues.

Sport on! I would think he would enjoy a larger cage which would make it easier to achieve a good temp gradient. This is a really important factor to keeping chams.

Sport on! I would think he would enjoy a larger cage which would make it easier to achieve a good temp gradient. This is a really important factor to keeping chams.

I will look into making these additions ASAP, regarding more branches, and another plant. I think he is too small for a bigger enclosure just yet. Maybe I'll take a photo of him on a ruler for you to gauge just how little he is.

So it is okay that the highest/basking temp is above 80 degrees?

The fogger runs during the day, goes on and off with the lights. The dripper runs for about 2-5 hours then stops, so there is definitely time for his cage to dry out. I have a Mist King - I need to set it up (also for my other 2 chams). I've been successful with Panthers and Gracefuls - this is my first Jackson, and I am really falling in love with them.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

I will look into making these additions ASAP, regarding more branches, and another plant. I think he is too small for a bigger enclosure just yet. Maybe I'll take a photo of him on a ruler for you to gauge just how little he is.

So it is okay that the highest/basking temp is above 80 degrees?

The fogger runs during the day, goes on and off with the lights. The dripper runs for about 2-5 hours then stops, so there is definitely time for his cage to dry out. I have a Mist King - I need to set it up (also for my other 2 chams). I've been successful with Panthers and Gracefuls - this is my first Jackson, and I am really falling in love with them.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Judging by the pic with him in the enclosure he would have no trouble with a large cage. If you see lots of screen climbing or rubbing his horns on the screen then that is an indicator for needing a larger cage.

I give my montanes a basking site around mid 80s. If he has a good temp gradient there will be no problem if he wants to get out of the heat.

Judging by the pic with him in the enclosure he would have no trouble with a large cage. If you see lots of screen climbing or rubbing his horns on the screen then that is an indicator for needing a larger cage.

I give my montanes a basking site around mid 80s. If he has a good temp gradient there will be no problem if he wants to get out of the heat.

Oh boy - yes, he has been climbing on the screen A LOT the past 2 weeks. That solves it then, I will get him a bigger enclosure. He is currently in the small one - 16" x 16" x 20."

Should I go for the 16" x 16" x 30" or straight to the 18" x 18" x 36?"

I do not know his exact age unfortunately.

You would not go wrong by getting this one:
http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

Jackson's chams like lots of room and a 24" x 24" x 48" is the size recommended by FLChams, FWIW.

Like Cainschams, my Jackson's have a mid-80s basking spot.
Jackson's are "heliophilic" meaning they love to bask in the sun, when temperatures are in their preferred range of course.

Oh, congrats on getting a Jackson's--after all they are the best kind of chameleon :D

Last edited:
You would not go wrong by getting this one:
http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

Jackson's chams like lots of room and a 24" x 24" x 48" is the size recommended by FLChams, FWIW.

Like Cainschams, my Jackson's have a mid-80s basking spot.
Jackson's are "heliophilic" meaning they love to bask in the sun, when temperatures are in their preferred range of course.

Oh, congrats on getting a Jackson's--after all they are the best kind of chameleon :D

Thank you! I moved his light a little closer and his basking temp is now in the low-mid 80's. He was under it this morning, and ate a cricket out of my hand :) He definitely seems happier now that his cage is set up properly.

You're quite welcome.

My Jackson's went right into their 24"x24"x60" cages because they were 5 months and older when they arrived.
They had no trouble finding their food.

It still gives me a thrill when they "zap" bugs out of my hand. :D

Mine is in an 18x18x36 and he is very happy. I've never seen him pace or screen climb. Lots of foliage makes them feel safer.

It's always good to know what is working or has worked for others and what hasn't.

I'm sure that the typical Jackson's subspecies sizes, as well as individual size and individual temperament differences make what works well for one cham, unsuitable for another.

Excellent point about dense foliage.
Foliage density may be at least as important as or more important than cage size, at least within reason.

Although my Jackson's cages are large, they have plenty of foliage within so that even while basking, they can be somewhat hidden.
Some are just naturally more nervous than others.

Definitely true that what works for some does not work for others! I just wanted to offer another option since it works well for mine, but he's pretty chill no matter what. :)

It's always good to know what is working or has worked for others and what hasn't.

I'm sure that the typical Jackson's subspecies sizes, as well as individual size and individual temperament differences make what works well for one cham, unsuitable for another.

Excellent point about dense foliage.
Foliage density may be at least as important as or more important than cage size, at least within reason.

Although my Jackson's cages are large, they have plenty of foliage within so that even while basking, they can be somewhat hidden.
Some are just naturally more nervous than others.

Great points indeed. I have already seen a difference in my Jackson's since making the suggested changes by you all here. He wasn't eating as well as I would like - sometimes not at all for a couple of days - and then, one or two. Now he doesn't leave a single cricket behind. I catch him basking in the morning, then goes to hang out in the cool wet side of his cage. I love seeing that he is happier and obviously more healthy.

Since my Panther is getting ready to move up in the enclosure area as well, I'm going to get him a 24x24x48 and move the Jackson's into his 18x18x36 for the time being. That will give us time to build the entertainment style enclosures we want to.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Sounds like you have a plan! My Jackson's has been in a 3x2x5 ft since he was about 5 months old. He uses pretty much the entire enclosure.

Are you going to convert an entertainment center or total custom build?

Sounds like you have a plan! My Jackson's has been in a 3x2x5 ft since he was about 5 months old. He uses pretty much the entire enclosure.

Are you going to convert an entertainment center or total custom build?

We are going to do a complete custom build. I have 3 chams now, so we were going to build one large one with room for 3 enclosures.

I've changed it up a bit - I want to build the centers for 2 chams, and build multiples. My husband was laughing - saying 'I know what you are up to, you want to get more chameleons!' Aside form the fact that the smaller centers will be easier to move... but yes, I want more!

I always look at what other members build here for ideas. All I have right now are drawings.

Back
Top Bottom