Experience in Purchasing Single Egg Online

It can be done. Same as shipping bird eggs. Just your time frame of when they can be shipped is very small. If they arent shipped priority overnight the same day they are laid it wont work.

Also if you do not personally know the person I wouldn't even bother. Most of the time it's just a scam.

Honestly I personally would waste my time with it. You'd be better off trying to find a local breeder or at least someone within reasonable driving distance. And still with that there is never the guarantee that it will hatch.

Maybe you meant someone online was selling eggs, and you can pick them up from their home. If that is the case you can actually see the parents and set-up. This scenario is do able. :)

Sounds impossible. if you rotate the egg the embryo dies of suffocation.

This is something of a myth. There is some truth to it, but how much, I'm not sure.

I'm fairly clumsy and I've had a lot of eggs over the years- a combination that has led inevetibly to occasional accidents where egg containers at various stages of incubation get knocked or worse dropped. I also don't mark the egg tops usually. After accidents I have always reset the eggs in the substrate as best I can and hatch rate has always been just fine. Some have been fairly late term eggs too. On the other hand it has always been pretty hard on me when it has happened- stops my heart.

I imagine that if environment could be kept cool and packed carefully (probably buried mid-way in containers full up with perlite), eggs would probably ship OK as long as they were pre-diapause and not from montaine species where they are farther along when they are laid. Species like panthers or veileds would probably ship pretty well I would guess, never having tried it or heard of anyone trying it...

I imagine that if environment could be kept cool and packed carefully (probably buried mid-way in containers full up with perlite), eggs would ship OK as long as they were pre-diapause...

Yes that would that would be the key. You would have to bury the eggs half way with the perlite then fill the rest of the container with tissue paper (dense enough so that if the box is flipped the eggs wont roll. Then pack the shipping box like normal with a cool pack.

I came across a thread on this before and someone had done it successfully. If i recall correctly 3 panther eggs were shipped. One ended up being infertile, one never made it full term or hatch but didnt survive, and the 3 ended up hatching and was just fine.

If there's a will there's a way.;)

On a side note. (I believe this has some relevance) Bird eggs need to be rotated. I have had quail eggs sent to me a few times for hatching. Now on one occasion there was a mix up with shipping and they ended up being stuck in transport for almost 6 days. Now they come packed in foam with holes to hold each egg. (so they dont roll or break). Quail also go through a diapause as well. I personally believe that is what saved most of the clutch. I only had about 40% hatch rate but some were infertile, some cracked, and some were just shy of making it full term. So Flux might actually be onto something when it comes to eggs being turned during the diapause.

Species like panthers or veileds would probably ship pretty well I would guess, never having tried it or heard of anyone trying it...

Yep, done it several times with early and near hatching clutches without problem in panthers. There's no guarantee any egg will hatch but overnight shipping is unlikely to be the cause of a failure to do so, given it was packed properly.

Also, knock on wood, I've only dropped a couple of clutches over the years. The one that sticks out was late-term quadricornis and yeah, talk about having your heart stop! I checked those eggs daily expecting to see them start rotting one by one. They hatched fine, though. I'd rather drop a clutch of quad eggs than have them go over 75F for a couple days, that's for sure!

This is something of a myth. There is some truth to it, but how much, I'm not sure.

I'm fairly clumsy and I've had a lot of eggs over the years- a combination that has led inevetibly to occasional accidents where egg containers at various stages of incubation get knocked or worse dropped. I also don't mark the egg tops usually. After accidents I have always reset the eggs in the substrate as best I can and hatch rate has always been just fine. Some have been fairly late term eggs too. On the other hand it has always been pretty hard on me when it has happened- stops my heart.

I imagine that if environment could be kept cool and packed carefully (probably buried mid-way in containers full up with perlite), eggs would probably ship OK as long as they were pre-diapause and not from montaine species where they are farther along when they are laid. Species like panthers or veileds would probably ship pretty well I would guess, never having tried it or heard of anyone trying it...

I shipped a quad egg to a friend in Seattle. I shipped it right after it was laid, it hatched fine and was a beautiful boy.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/quadricornis-hatchling-photos-36004/

I was so happy when the second clutch hatched and I finally had quad babies. Royden had the only baby from the first clutch.

I used to think that this was okay. Until you are on the receiving end you never know how truly horrible an experience like this can go.

I purchased 2 panther eggs from a forum member who lives about an hour from me for $50 each. They were about 4 1/2 months old at the time and are close to 6 months now. Anxiously waiting for these little guys or girls. So far so good....

It can certainly be done without harming the egg. I've sent 3 (panther) eggs to a friend on the forum just to see if it would work because I hadn't really seen anyone try it (or at least speak about it being a possibility.) One of the eggs was a dud (I also had a dud from the clutch) and two hatched, though one only lived for a day or so and it was weak. The other grew up just fine and was nice and healthy. I only asked that the other person paid for shipping (we did it by USPS priority because USPS wouldn't have gotten the package there overnight with express shipping.) I shipped it either the day after or two days after they were laid.

I don't think I would pay for one though unless I knew the person and they might refund some/all the money if none of them hatched. I also wouldn't do it for just one (you never know if that one egg might be a dud.) I also wouldn't risk it with an egg older than 1.5-2 weeks old.

EDIT: I was very careful about how I packaged them. I used an 8 oz deli container with 2 or 3 small 1/8" holes at the top, filled with moist perlite. The eggs were burried in the middle of the perlite so that no part of them could bounce and hit the sides. It was packed full enough that the eggs couldn't roll around, but not so tight that they were squeezed. I also marked the tops of the eggs with a non-toxic pen to see if the would roll around in there (they didn't.) I then wrapped the container with newspaper, and put it in a box with crumpled up newspaper and packing peanuts. I THINK I put the first box into a second box, but I don't remember exactly.

Last edited:
They can send one to me just to test it out. In return I'll let them know if it hatches and post a review here on the forums. Come to think of it, I might need samples donated from several sources of parsons to take into account weather conditions and age of eggs at time of transport :D

They can send one to me just to test it out. In return I'll let them know if it hatches and post a review here on the forums. Come to think of it, I might need samples donated from several sources of parsons to take into account weather conditions and age of eggs at time of transport :D

hahaha, yeah count my in, feel free to send my whatever chams egg/ cham you want, everybody has the right to do this so take the chanse :cool:

Back
Top Bottom