Evil Locusts!!!

YOSHI

I recently purchased 10 locust from a supplier I don't usually deal with, when i took them home and introduced them in with my existing locust all hell broke loose and my 10 new locust i bought killed and ate most my originals. I have noticed that there slightly darker in colour with what feels like a harder outa shell than my usual brighter and softer ones, Is there different species of locust which can't mix together?
More curiosity than anything !

Standard locust is Locusta migratoria, this locust is almost strict vegetarian. The second often used species is Schistocerca gregaria, they eat each other more often, they can even bite the chameleon. It seems to me that their meat-appetite increases with dehydration.

I recently purchased 10 locust from a supplier I don't usually deal with, when i took them home and introduced them in with my existing locust all hell broke loose and my 10 new locust i bought killed and ate most my originals. I have noticed that there slightly darker in colour with what feels like a harder outa shell than my usual brighter and softer ones, Is there different species of locust which can't mix together?
More curiosity than anything !

I had that happen last year with a couple colonies of wild locust I collected. Before I had the opportunity to separate the colonies one colony ate the other colony. Took about 16 days and 24 larger locust were eaten. I would absolutely recommend separating species to prevent this problem.

Looks like i'll just be sticking to my one supplier, wich to stick with im unsure, these Schistocerca gregaria wich is what im now assuming they are, are so much more cheaper but i hate handling them, yet the Locusta migratoria are so much more expensive but so much more easier to handle hmmmm what to do!

I could get both black or brown but after my experience with them when i used to feed my bearded dragon i wont buy them again :/

Escaping, the little buggers always used to escape and id get an absolute ear full of my sister, not to mention the chirping noise, i no you can buy silent ones but thats worse because when they escape and you then carnt find them, i just wont handle them either, no particular reason just dont like it, do you use them?

If they were as easy to buy over here i wouldnt mind trying them, but if one of them were to escape i think id get kicked out the house lol

haha i cant see crickets escaping any easier than locusts, they do smell worse though. you can get roaches from ebay.

Escaping, the little buggers always used to escape and id get an absolute ear full of my sister, not to mention the chirping noise, i no you can buy silent ones but thats worse because when they escape and you then carnt find them, i just wont handle them either, no particular reason just dont like it, do you use them?

i do use crickets as my staple diet as well as various worms. i use a keeper that is designed with tubes that slide is so u can just pull out a tube and shake the amount you want into a dusting container and return the tube, it works very well, has a removable lid for cleaning and a small door on the top for feeding and adding crickets. i have had very few escapes, but my dog seems to like hunting cricket as well if one does get loose LoL

If they were as easy to buy over here i wouldnt mind trying them, but if one of them were to escape i think id get kicked out the house lol

If you live in the UK it should be too cold for them to reproduce. They can't climb glass either and don't stink.

If you live in the UK it should be too cold for them to reproduce. They can't climb glass either and don't stink.

Looks like i'll just be sticking to my one supplier, wich to stick with im unsure, these Schistocerca gregaria wich is what im now assuming they are, are so much more cheaper but i hate handling them, yet the Locusta migratoria are so much more expensive but so much more easier to handle hmmmm what to do!

I would just separate the two species in two separate cages to be kept before feeding. If you have got or going to buy both species.

Back
Top Bottom