Euthanizing....

If all is lost, I wrap the chameleon in a towl, and place it into the
freezer. For a cold blooded animal, this is a painless death.
Sorry about your animal.
Steve, Sticky Tongue Farms

True that some people freeze them to kill them...sadly yes. And it's very painful and not fair to the chameleon. Most "home" methods are painful to the chameleons. Even decapitation is not fair because the brain is still aware after its done.
The only fair way IMHO is to take it to the vet and have it done properly.
Yup I agree with you totally

Freaking disgusting... Like seriously would you want to freeze to death??? NO, then why do that to an animal? Sad and heartless. This is why we have Vets!

Freaking disgusting... Like seriously would you want to freeze to death??? NO, then why do that to an animal? Sad and heartless. This is why we have Vets!

I agree this isn't a good idea for reptiles, but many creatures just 'fall asleep' from cold temperatures so it is a reasonable way to euthanize some things.

Sorry I worded that horribly(edited out a lot of my ramble lol), my point is... i can see why people would THINK it is an acceptable thing to do.

True that some people freeze them to kill them...sadly yes. And it's very painful and not fair to the chameleon. Most "home" methods are painful to the chameleons. Even decapitation is not fair because the brain is still aware after its done.
The only fair way IMHO is to take it to the vet and have it done properly.

Do we know how reptiles feel hot/cold? Like many reptiles will go into a frozen-like state when their temp drops to 30-40ish. This would kill a human, yet they thaw out and act as if nothing happened.

I agree this isn't a good idea for reptiles, but many creatures just 'fall asleep' from cold temperatures so it is a reasonable way to euthanize some things.
Yeah nope this is why vets have humane euthanasia. I would never freeze any animal no matter what kind. That is not for me at all. If I love them and care for them when they are alive then I do the same for them when they need help passing.

Do we know how reptiles feel hot/cold? Like many reptiles will go into a frozen-like state when their temp drops to 30-40ish. This would kill a human, yet they thaw out and act as if nothing happened.
Most of the reptiles I know that go into a frozen state as a survival tactic have changes occur in th body to prevent the blood and cells from freezing/crystallizing so they wouldn't have any pain. Water is removed from the cells and the blood turns to glucose in some for instance.

For reptiles that are not supposed to do this to survive...it's a different story....the blood crystallizes and causes pain. Their brain also stays active longer in many of them because of the way they use the oxygen as well.

I agree freezing does not sound like a humane way to euthanize a lizard. Depending on their size, IV access may be extremely difficult and you’d need some sort of inhaled agent to induce unconsciousness. After general anesthesia is obtained, there’s many ways that could be used for euthanasia without any conscious knowledge of the insult

That thread is from 96-97. Hopefully that person has changed practices since then. There’s many comments on there giving good and bad suggestions and good and bad information. For example, Ketamine is definitely an anesthetic. It can induce general anesthesia at proper doses, and it definitely does not affect the neuromuscular junction in any robust way. In defense of its use as an anesthetic, it is one of very few anesthetics that actually modulates pain. Most do not.

euthanasia is definitely a place to involve a veterinarian or at least use proper practice to ensure unconsciousness

Most of the reptiles I know that go into a frozen state as a survival tactic have changes occur in th body to prevent the blood and cells from freezing/crystallizing so they wouldn't have any pain. Water is removed from the cells and the blood turns to glucose in some for instance.

For reptiles that are not supposed to do this to survive...it's a different story....the blood crystallizes and causes pain. Their brain also stays active longer in many of them because of the way they use the oxygen as well.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Wonder if this would apply to chameleons that go into brumation? And so are you saying reptiles that do have this frozen state wouldn't feel pain from the cold?

Yeah nope this is why vets have humane euthanasia. I would never freeze any animal no matter what kind. That is not for me at all. If I love them and care for them when they are alive then I do the same for them when they need help passing.

Some creatures(many inverts for example) can have the most peaceful death by being frozen. What makes you think vets euthanasia is anything special outside of what a regular person is capable of(a bullet would end suffering pretty damn quick and you don't have to drag a dying animal to a strange place)? You seem to be thinking of this as if everything is human and feels things the way we do. Let's leave the emotions out of this. I'm not arguing that we should freeze our chameleons... i'm pointing out that for some creatures it is a reasonable thing to do. If this was back in the 90's like mentioned, I can see why they may have thought it was painless.

Last edited:
Some creatures(many inverts for example) can have the most peaceful death by being frozen. What makes you think vets euthanasia is anything special outside of what a regular person is capable of(a bullet would end suffering pretty damn quick and you don't have to drag a dying animal to a strange place)? You seem to be thinking of this as if everything is human and feels things the way we do. Let's leave the emotions out of this. I'm not arguing that we should freeze our chameleons... i'm pointing out that for some species it is a reasonable thing to do. If this was back in the 90's like mentioned, I can see why they may have thought it was painless.

Okay I could word this better... a vet does have better methods of euthanizing for the vast majority, but depending on the animal and the circumstances, there are other possibilities. For a chameleon, just to take them to a vet is an extremely stressful experience. So the animal is being traumatized and dying, great! So much love In that. Maybe we should be talking about humane methods that can be done at home if possible?

Back
Top Bottom