Enrichment Ideas?

I'm looking for ways to give enrichment to my 8-9ish month old veiled. She's pretty personable (considering what I've seen about veilds in general lol) and I'd love to do something interesting/enriching for her to enhance her day-to-day. I have already taken her outside a few times which she seems to like, though she doesn't like being moved from her enclosure to my back deck very much. Please drop enrichment suggestions below!

There's a whole bunch of ideas I've been developing!
When it comes to captive wildlife a HUGE aspect is enrichment.
Here's a few ideas:

• Hang a bowl with one string on a branch and put the bugs in there so it wobbles
  • veileds like eating leaves every once in a while so consider putting her favorite thing to eat just out of her reach so she has to reach up to munch on it
  • loose bug feeders
  • Change a couple branches every once in a while- if she doesn't seem too stressed by it then it can give a good change of scenery for almost any animal
  • Consider trying to mimic some natural things like bird calls, rainwater, wind, or even move the "sun" a little bit
  • Go to a bush outside that's extremely nontoxic like a lilac, cut off a whole bunch of leaves, soak them in faintly soapy water, rinse them off, and put them in for a day or so to provide extra hiding spots. Or just get more plants
Make sure to keep safety in mind when doing any of these. If your chameleon seems to be stressed by the change of scenery then cease and give her a little relaxation time.

Here's a few ideas:

• Hang a bowl with one string on a branch and put the bugs in there so it wobbles
  • veileds like eating leaves every once in a while so consider putting her favorite thing to eat just out of her reach so she has to reach up to munch on it
  • loose bug feeders
  • Change a couple branches every once in a while- if she doesn't seem too stressed by it then it can give a good change of scenery for almost any animal
  • Consider trying to mimic some natural things like bird calls, rainwater, wind, or even move the "sun" a little bit
  • Go to a bush outside that's extremely nontoxic like a lilac, cut off a whole bunch of leaves, soak them in faintly soapy water, rinse them off, and put them in for a day or so to provide extra hiding spots. Or just get more plants
Make sure to keep safety in mind when doing any of these. If your chameleon seems to be stressed by the change of scenery then cease and give her a little relaxation time.
You know that they can't hear right? So providing sounds does nothing... Also moving branches is not enrichment... This throws off chameleons as their territory is now different. They tend to go into stress mode for a few days or so after any cage change.

You know that they can't hear right? So providing sounds does nothing... Also moving branches is not enrichment... This throws off chameleons as their territory is now different. They tend to go into stress mode for a few days or so after any cage change.
Branches fall down in nature but if it's a stress I don't think it's a good idea. Just a suggestion unless they will get stressed which it sounds like they would be.
also I did not know they can't hear.
That's really odd! They're one of the few reptiles to see red but they can't hear

Branches fall down in nature but if it's a stress I don't think it's a good idea. Just a suggestion unless they will get stressed which it sounds like they would be.
also I did not know they can't hear.
That's really odd! They're one of the few reptiles to see red but they can't hear
In nature they are living in much larger areas... We confine them to small spaces. They get used to where their branches and pathways are. They can hear vibrations... But they do not hear like we do. So if you play music they don't hear the words they hear certain vibrations.

You will learn a lot once you have chams and see the behavior. It is one thing to read and learn but it is another to have the hands on experience IMO.

In nature they are living in much larger areas... We confine them to small spaces. They get used to where their branches and pathways are. They can hear vibrations... But they do not hear like we do. So if you play music they don't hear the words they hear certain vibrations.

You will learn a lot once you have chams and see the behavior. It is one thing to read and learn but it is another to have the hands on experience IMO.
For sure. I've read hours and hours worth of material but not once have I seen that they have no hearing. I wonder if there are some things that would make them excited to eat, like a cicada buzzing on a branch.

all my cages are out door and I still play rainforest sounds so my neighbors know I aint messing around !

For sure. I've read hours and hours worth of material but not once have I seen that they have no hearing. I wonder if there are some things that would make them excited to eat, like a cicada buzzing on a branch.
I am sure if the buzzing creates a vibration against the branch.

Here's a few ideas:

• loose bug feeders
Thanks so much!

Some members have created beautiful indoor free range areas. Creating one next to or in front of a window provides a safe view of the outer world. I let some bsfl hatch in my cham’s enclosures to provide some hunting stimulation and free snacks. You have to think about how they live in the wild and what types of things make them content.

Enrichment for chams is an interesting idea, it is one of the things I try to look for in my observations.

It is interesting, because if we observe their basic behavior, they pretty much seem to bask at their favorite, or likely only spot, depending on how we choose to feed, they may get excited at the site of a food dish, or like mine seem to recognize the tub I keep the roaches in and come down to get some.
The rest of the time seems to vary by sex.
Males are food driven, but they ,or at least mine does show curiosity is far more likely to venture out and explore. His enclosure remains the same, but if I change around things around in the room there is always the same reaction. He must try to get to any newly accessible area that is above his normal perching height. This often spurs the "exploring" behavior, where if the door to the room is left open he will venture out.
So first he claims his new territory and the searches for a mate. On this behavior to create enrichment you could ,as mentioned, make a free range "tree" just use a large plastic pot, use a long branch stuck in the center for the tree part. Them periodically move it to a new "High Ground" Keeping his cage, safe zone, stable.

For the female it seems different, she not as exploratory, and their goal seems too be more just about food. The only time she ventures out is if she sees something to eat. They will venture when looking for a place to lay eggs, but that is different. For her I always hand feed, you can use a hand held cup if you don't like bugs, I feed her from different areas and often make her climb a ways to get it. As a result she appears very tame. It is all about wanting food, but she will follow me, she will climb on to me ,but no touching. If I hold a palm out she comes. So basically use food to get them to climb, stretch, and hang to get food.

A free range is a great idea indoor or outdoor. if you have a crap-load of extra plants(like me) and some extra sticks or vines you can make a great looking free range. But beware that you may need lighting if you do an indoor free rang.

Some members have created beautiful indoor free range areas. Creating one next to or in front of a window provides a safe view of the outer world. I let some bsfl hatch in my cham’s enclosures to provide some hunting stimulation and free snacks. You have to think about how they live in the wild and what types of things make them content.
Beman and I play catch.

I let some of my BSFL hatch into Soldier flies and let them go in the cage so my cham gets to hunt down flies, he really seems to enjoy the hunt. I also do the same thing with wax worms and let the moths go in the cage.

A free range is a great idea indoor or outdoor. if you have a crap-load of extra plants(like me) and some extra sticks or vines you can make a great looking free range. But beware that you may need lighting if you do an indoor free rang.
So true, don't forget that uvb won't travel through glass, so don't think you are good just because your free range is next to the windows.

One simple idea I've had is to vary the plants and vines in such a way that the cham needs to grasp, maneuver, and distribute weight differently depending on where he is in the cage. This is probably more relevant for males as they seem to patrol their turf moreso than females. Maybe someone already said this but vary the feeders beyond standard dubias, roaches, worms etc. Maybe a feeder that flies? These really basic things can probably go a long way toward enrichment.

Back
Top Bottom