Enclosure Questions - New Chameleon

Daisy23

Hi everyone! I've been thinking of getting a chameleon for around 3 years and have done pretty extensive research. My family surprised me on Mother's Day with a juvenile Piebold. She's gorgeous and I absolutely love her but the set-up they got for me isn't quite right. So now I'm working like mad to make her enclosure perfect for her. I'm copying the set-up in this video: , however, I've run into a little snag. How do you install the misters through the screen roof? Also, what type of potting mix do you use with your plants? What if she ingests the soil? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly, what misting system do you have? If it's a mistking they sell a support bracket to make it easier to go through screen. Essentially you mount the bracket, cut the screen in the hole of the bracket and insert and secure the misting nozzle.

Thank you! I'm so happy to be here.

I was looking at getting a mistking but it doesn't appear to have a receptacle for the water, so now I'm looking at different options. Would you recommend sticking with the mistking? What do you use to hold the water?

Thank you! I'm so happy to be here.

I was looking at getting a mistking but it doesn't appear to have a receptacle for the water, so now I'm looking at different options. Would you recommend sticking with the mistking? What do you use to hold the water?
From personal experience, I would recommend the MistKing, the Reptirain I had for my original chameleon didn't really produce a mist. For the reservoir, it's recommeded using a five gallon bucket like this:
1620755646291718999284249108451.jpg

Still hoping to find out soil what to use for my potted plants? I would assume regular potting soil isn't safe?

MistKing is pretty upfront about that. They don't want to have to charge you shipping for a container that would likely cost less than the shipping. I use a rectangular bin with a lid (to keep out dust & particulates).
1620892397037.png

Still hoping to find out soil what to use for my potted plants? I would assume regular potting soil isn't safe?
Probably not, but it can be difficult to find potting soil without perlite & chemical plant foods.

A technique some use is to leave some room at the top of plant pots, and fill with smooth river pebbles too big for the chameleon to swallow.
Another technique involves making shields for the tops of pots out of screen/hardware fabric.
Both techniques dissuade digging while allowing water to reach plant roots.

Soon you'll need to install a lay-bin anyway, which should be more attractive for her to dig in.

Thank you so much! I like the idea of using a Tupperware bin for this. My Mistking arrives tomorrow and I think I'll give this a try.

I'm glad you mentioned the river pebbles. I got around 20lb of 2-3" flat black river stones that I was going to cover the soil with but I've been second guessing myself. I'm happy to hear this is a good solution. Do I need to do anything to treat them other than washing them off?

I've got washed play sand all ready to go for her lay bin. I was more concerned about her trying to get any crickets or anything else that might make their way into the potted plants. I was picturing her getting mouthfuls of soil :oops:

Thank you again for all of your help!

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Not to do with enclosures and not to scare you but rather make you aware......but do you know that veiled chameleons can produce eggs without having mated and if you don't watch their diet and temperatures as they approach maturity they can produce huge clutches and die from it?

Thank you so much! I like the idea of using a Tupperware bin for this. My Mistking arrives tomorrow and I think I'll give this a try.
I forgot to mention. Another advantage of a container with flat sides is that the bulkhead & O-ring are easier to make a tight seal than with a round surface.

I'm glad you mentioned the river pebbles. I got around 20lb of 2-3" flat black river stones that I was going to cover the soil with but I've been second guessing myself. I'm happy to hear this is a good solution. Do I need to do anything to treat them other than washing them off?
A rinse wouldn't hurt. More importantly, check that they're naturally black and not painted/coated with something. We got some black pebbles from a dollar store that had some kind of black coating. Since they originated in another country, I wasn't comfortable using them in an enclosure.

I've got washed play sand all ready to go for her lay bin. I was more concerned about her trying to get any crickets or anything else that might make their way into the potted plants. I was picturing her getting mouthfuls of soil :oops:
I get escaped crix in my panther's enclosure, and he has hunted them down, but not in the pots that I know of. I've seen him zap them in the treetops and on the floor. If he did find one in a pot, the pebbles should stop him from ingesting any potting soil—that's what it's there for.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Not to do with enclosures and not to scare you but rather make you aware......but do you know that veiled chameleons can produce eggs without having mated and if you don't watch their diet and temperatures as they approach maturity they can produce huge clutches and die from it?
I appreciate your concern and I am very aware of this. She's still quite young but I am monitoring her temperature and diet closely. I live in Southern California and am very fortunate to have several very good reptile vets close by if I need them. I have kept reptiles before and my female slider lays large clutches every year (she's 24 now) so I'm familiar with the process. I do know that chameleons are very different and more prone to complications though. To be honest, I hadn't planned on starting with a female but she was a surprise from my husband and kids.

Back
Top Bottom