Enclosure hand made beginnings

Discussion in 'Enclosures And Supplies' started by J.Bauer, Jul 31, 2017.

1. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

The first pic is the base. There's tracks for shelving and will be paneled around both sides and back. Double doors for the front and room for a drainage system.

The next few are the construction of the habitat. It will be lined on the inside with thick plastic hex mesh and wrapped outside with aluminum screen.

The 6th pic is the beginning of the double doors that will be the front of the enclosure. I will cut and add the strips in the center then cut the entire frame in half top and bottom.

Once inside, the 4'h x 3'w x 2'd enclosure will be mounted on the 2.75' h base to a total of almost 7' tall.

Hopefully, when finished, it will have hidden Reed or bamboo blinds that roll up into molding around the top.

jamest0o0 likes this.
  2. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

Doors are framed, split into double doors and mounted on hinges. The entire enclosure frame and doors have been sanded and painted. Hopefully tomorrow the screen will be applied and door knobs attached.
    Unfortunately there was a minor setback as a painter hired by our apartment complex broke part of the base the enclosure mounts on. Need to repair that.
    More pics coming tomorrow while the sun is up.

jamest0o0 likes this.
  3. Decadancin

Decadancin Moderator
    Staff Member

I remember building my enclosure :). Tons of fun and tons of work. Can't wait to watch your progress!

Rogue and J.Bauer like this.
  4. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

It has been quite a bit of work. I have enjoyed the process and watching it take shape.

Rogue likes this.
  5. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

IMG_20170806_085415.jpg IMG_20170806_085422.jpg IMG_20170806_085437.jpg IMG_20170806_104025.jpg IMG_20170806_104130.jpg IMG_20170806_112515.jpg

Attached Files:

Rogue likes this.
  6. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

You can see, in the first few pics above, how the single door frame became double doors. I attached plastic hex fence all around the inside (except the back). Rolled the sharp cut edges towards the outside to prevent injury. Then wrapped aluminum screen around the outside to stop "dinner" from escaping his enclosure.

JacksJill and Rogue like this.
  7. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

He has done a great job. Proteus will love his castle!

J.Bauer likes this.
  8. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

It's bigger than I thought, and I still need to put it on the base.

Rogue likes this.
  9. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

We had to move the cage inside because of incoming storms. It BARELY fit through the patio door! One of the "upper management", Loki, checked it out and it passed inspection :LOL: All screens and knobs attached, now just time to finish the base. Due to its size and Proteus being a juvenile, we will have a learning curve to assist him in getting to his food. Per RB Barto, he already hunts but we will still need to work with Proteus until he gets adjusted to his new castle :p

We have a large vinyl base from my guinea pig, Skittles, who recently passed away from very old age (rest in paradise, baby girl :() that is moisture proof and we will be using that to protect the cables behind the cage. We will also be using some of the sides from her cage for the light fixtures to sit on. @J.Bauer is doing a killer job!

20170806_141722.jpg 20170806_142041.jpg 20170806_142121-1.jpg

J.Bauer likes this.
  10. JacksJill

JacksJill Chameleon Enthusiast

Nice black and white CATmeleon you have there.
    Seriously, nice job on the build out. I like the larger wire for climbing with the smaller mesh for keeping the feeders on the inside.
    Can't wait to see it up on it's base and all decked out.

J.Bauer and Rogue like this.
  11. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

Thank you. He won't be spoiled at all :p The CATmeleon approves haha!

J.Bauer likes this.
  12. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

20170809_173939.jpg

This is going to be the background for his cage.

20170809_174332.jpg

We are going to put moulding around the tops of the cage and roll-up bamboo blinds for night time.

J.Bauer and JacksJill like this.
  13. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

Base is almost complete, shelving is in. We need to paint it and hang the doors you see in the third image.

Attached Files:

Rogue likes this.
  14. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

Our black and white "CATmeleon" (he was adopted. No, really :p) helping Dad measure the base. 20170812_110634-1.jpg

JacksJill, Decadancin and J.Bauer like this.
  15. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

Finally got the material for the drain system. Need to drill 2 holes and attach the hoses to drain into a jug/bucket.

Attached Files:

Rogue likes this.
  16. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

The base is painted, drainage set up, just need to drill the holes in the plastic and set up tubing for the drainage. The feeder bins will go inside and the drawers are removable. It is difficult to see but there is screen covering the grids. 20170812_175509.jpg 20170812_175526.jpg 20170812_175546.jpg

17. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

Today we apply the background to the back enclosure panel, then attach it to the back of the enclosure! Then lift the thing up on to the base and put in the last screws.

Rogue likes this.
  18. Rogue

Rogue Established Member

20170813_152838.jpg 20170813_152923.jpg 20170813_152952.jpg 20170813_153004.jpg 20170813_153035.jpg 20170813_153046.jpg

She is complete! Woooot! Just ordered our Arcadia light fixture and now it is just time to set it all together with plants, vines, sticks, humidifier, mister, lights, etc. Oh, and of course the most important, the chameleon!:cool::D:love::ROFLMAO:

Attached Files:

JacksJill likes this.
  19. J.Bauer

J.Bauer Member

It was just a pile of lumber taking up living room space just a few weeks ago.

Rogue likes this.