Enclosure Building Questions.

wjbader

Alright. I am building a much nicer enclosure for my cham, however, I need some input from you!

1. Can anyone tell me why the door to setup A is beneficial to setup B?

A
panthercage.gif

B
chameleon-cages-2.jpg

What is the benefit to having a the top and bottom half of the door partitioned?

2.Would it be OK for me to make the door (whichever style) with plexiglass or glass or acrylic instead of mesh? (Note: the other sides will be mesh, the top will have larger-gauge (?) mesh/screen). I am going to make the back side optional to slide in some kind of plexi/glass or acrylic during the drier months here in Minnesota.

I will be trying to use as much recycled material from my parents'. Any tips or suggestions, let me know!

with the cages pictured i dont think there is alot of diff, but with the reptiibreeze cgaes the bottom panel opens to make cleaning easyier.
as far as your cage i built mine with a plexiglass door and wood back the rest is screen and i love the clear doors and get alot of compliments from people who see them.

Imo and experience...
Don't built an upper "panel". If it is stationery, its tough to get tor Cham out, since they like to be high.
Sidenote: as in above the door, I love my lower panel, like Hoj said easy to clean!
Anne

Imo and experience...
Don't built an upper "panel". If it is stationery, its tough to get tor Cham out, since they like to be high.
Sidenote: as in above the door, I love my lower panel, like Hoj said easy to clean!
Anne

Very good advice!! It can be a hastle getting them out with that panel.. Drives me nuts

The top panel, IMO, helps to keep crickets from running out.....they tend to like being up high and in the corners.....so if one big door......out goes the crickets........also, if the cage is BIG....it acts like a brace to help stabilize the whole cage.
Heres an example of a big cage I built....5ft x 2ft x 2ft
If you have one big door, you really only have 3 sides....the door doesnt add anything to the stability of the cage.....the bottom and top panels are screwed into the side panels....the bottom only having top screws so it can swivel and make cage cleaning easier.......if your cages are outside...and big enough....wind could knock them down.....and having only 3 sides could spell disaster......

https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...es/16989d1257905959-custom-cages-img_0645.jpg

Last edited:
(B) looks to be a reptarium. Reptariums don't have doors. They have zippers and the mesh screen fits around a PVC frame and then zippers shut.

(a) is an aluminium screen cage. It's essentially window screen panels screwed together. There are multiple reasons for the bottom panel: it makes the cage much more stable without it the whole thing tends to be wobbly. It also makes the door easier to open because the door isn't flush with the ground. If it were flush with the ground, then if you don't have a perfect level floor and a perfectly plumb cage, you would have a very hard time opening it.

Whether you need a bottom panel depends on what materials you're using for construction and how large the cage is. In general, I'd say it's a good idea.

As people have said the reason for it, i won't bother.

I personally prefer one big door in my builds: https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-latest-build-progress-40191/ {private joke - sorry mate, still no picture of my gf in a bikini in it}

It depends largely on the materials you use and how anal you are in construction! You can make it strong if you use the right stuff! Plus, i have the luxury of using locusts as my main feeder who are much better than crickets for behaving and getting eaten quickly so i never have to worry about escapees! :D

Back
Top Bottom