Emergency Vet Visit Today...

k8shm8

I have a panther chameleon, exact age unknown but around 6-9month range. He has been eating 10 crickets dusted with calcium everyday. I hand mist 3-4 times daily for 4 minutes a time. He has a UVB lamp, heat lamp, and ceramic NO LIGHT heat lamp for night time. He is in a medium ZooMed Reptibreeze (unsure of exact dimensions). I have one schefflera in his cage with them as well as many layers for him to move up and down depending on his prefered heat needs.

Had to rush my guy to the vet today... Came home from work super worried when I saw him standing on the floor of his cage. He wasn’t moving a ton & he didnt eat all his crickets from breakfast. He was also super super dark and stressed. When I opened the door instead of climbing back up he walked over to the back of his cage and hid. I rushed the vet so fast, I didnt even have a proper carrier for him yet (ive only owned him for less than a month). The vet said his overall exam seemed good, good respiratory tract, hydrated, strong heart beat, etc... I replaced my bulbs today (UVB and heat) as well as invested in a better temperature abd humidity gauge. I also got some dubia roaches and horned worms, going to see if he likes either to vary his diet.

Not sure what happened though if anybody as an idea. The only issue the vet noticed was that my guy was kind of thin, not super skinny. I am having a follow up exam next week where I plan on bringing a fecal sample. The vet gave me a calcium supplement to give orally everyday for 7 days then 2x per week until I run out. He also recommended giving chicken baby food as another nutritional addititve.

The vet gave him a bird stand to chill on which I found cute haha.

Attachments

• 98E492C5-3344-4BBB-B2E4-89416011C97A.jpeg
    98E492C5-3344-4BBB-B2E4-89416011C97A.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 138
How is he doing? When you say uvb bulbs are you running a compact bulb in a dome fixture or a T5 fixture with a linear UVB bulb?
Does the calcium you are dusting with everyday have D3 in it or is it without D3?

How is he doing? When you say uvb bulbs are you running a compact bulb in a dome fixture or a T5 fixture with a linear UVB bulb?
Does the calcium you are dusting with everyday have D3 in it or is it without D3?

Hey,
He seems okay, climbing around still. I have a compact bulb in a dome fixture for right now, I am getting an xlarge zoomed reptibreeze soon for him so I will adjust the lighting. I dust with calcium everyday, it does not have D3.

Well that is good to hear. I would replace the lighting asap. Just buy a fixture that is 24 inches and will fit your new enclosure. It can safely overhang on the sides of your current one. The compact bulbs are really bad. Here is a link I found really interesting on it. It really shows why the T5 lighting is so important.
Add in Calcium with D3 every 2 weeks and a multivitamin every two weeks. Here is a link to the Panther care sheet that has a lot of great info. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
And a helpful Supplement pic. :)
Supplements pic.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom