eggs

awh53

my veiled chameleon is gravid from seeing the first time seeing visable lumps(eggs) how long doe it take before she lays?

Was she mated?
If she was its about 30 days from mating to laying generally. It depends somewhat on when during the cycle the female was mated.

If the eggs will be infertile, its hard to be sure when they are due. The best advice I can give you is make sure your husbandry is good and that you provide a place for her to dig in her cage so she can let you know when she is ready to lay. The minimum size that the container should be is big enough when empty that she fits into the container with a couple of inches to spare on all sides including above and below her. I fill the container with washed playsand and moisten it so that it will hold a tunnel but isn't sopping wet.

A female will often stop eating or at least slow down just before she is ready to lay. She will likely drink more, roam the cage looking for a spot to lay, may bask more.

If she shows signs of lethargy, sleeps low in the cage, eyes begin to sink in or anything else that might indicate failing health, get her to the vets because it might mean that she is becoming eggbound.

When Lily was gravid with infertiles, I was able to see and feel her eggs at around 10 days before she laid. If you haven't already, put a laying bin in her cage for her.

i have a box in thats 12 inches by 8 inches by 8inches deep with moist playsand (Bigest box i have at present)
i have had her only three weeks or so
i know she is gravid as she has now little lumps just above back legs (plus they showed up in X Rays)
she was on her own in pet shop but they did have a male in with her for about a fortnight
wont keep the eggs anyway as she has mbd(hence the x rays) which if i am correct she would pass on to any offspring
she is still eating like a pig

she is now getting zolcal-d each day and her food is dusted with nutrabal as recomended by vet

if mbd is not hereditory may try to incubate eggs then when and if she lays them

I also use Nutrabol, but only once a week as it also contains vit D3 as well as other vitamins and minerals. Through the week Amy gets her food dusted with a plain calcium powder.

at present i have to dust all her meals in nutrabal and give her zolcal-d
untill she lays then back to vet for more x rays to determine how bad mbd is

thanks for your replies miss lily are you the same miss lily thats on rfuk?

i am awh on there

at present i have to dust all her meals in nutrabal and give her zolcal-d
untill she lays then back to vet for more x rays to determine how bad mbd is

thanks for your replies miss lily are you the same miss lily thats on rfuk?

i am awh on there

:DYup! That's me!:D As long as you trust your vet, then it's best to follow his instructions like you are doing. Good luck with her! I am on several forums, all with the same username.

yes i trust my vet she went back to college to study reptiles and other exotic animals for three years after she qualified as a vet
mind i have to travel over ten miles on a bus to see her

MBD is not always just from a lack of calcium...calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are the main players in bone health and they need to be in balance.

D3 FROM SUPPLEMENTS can build up in the body and cause problems. (UVB-produced vitamin D3 won't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB).

Excess prEformed vitamin A can interfere with the D3 and push the chameleon towards MBD.

Here are some articles that might help...
http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=102
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421.../index.php?show=6.Vitamin.D3.and.Calcium.html

been told to keep on the nutrabal and zolcal-d till she lays then take her back to have more x rays to see how bad mbd is and will sort out from there
the most important thing i to get her to lay
pet shop has been great have offered to pay some of the vet bills (as i have only had her three weeks

have printed of those pages will read them later today thanks

Back
Top Bottom