Eggs

Anelda

I have a female veil that is about 8 months old I noticed she was getting bigger and bigger in the middle I took her to the vet last week and they did an ex ray she has eggs, he stated some of the eggs are still soft so she has a little time before she lays them. I am so worried about her she has not been with a male. The only time she was with another chameleon was for a little time at the pet store right before we bought her at that time she was very small they told us she was 3 months old. Does anyone know how long it may take her to begin laying her eggs, we have provide her with a plastic box of reptile sand we moisten with a little water for her tunnels . I am so worried

This is your post from another thread (https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/egg-laying-process.172129/page-2#post-1532044)...it's best to continue this thread rather than posting about the same issue in another thread...
"I am so worried about Camie she is with eggs I took her to the vet 4 weeks ago and the eggs were there but not clustered he said, not my poor Camie is so big, her eggs are at her butt you can see them thru her skin, she has egg laying bin , she goes down looks at the bin sits need it for a few then returns to the top of the cage, today she went down looked at the bin and when back into her leaves, she sits with her mouth open sometimes she has black dots but she is mostly dark green she has not stopped eating, this is her first time laying eggs she is about 8 months old, do they go into labor could she be confused it is her first time, I am so worried"...can you please post a photo or two of her and the egglaying bin. Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum. Please be very detailed about supplements (D3, calcium, vitaminA in particular), UVB light, temperatures.

Last edited:
I am sorry I am a new to this website and not sure how things worked, I thought you asked a question and someone would answer. people who may of been thru what I am going thru , I find there is not a lot of actual facts and answers I can get on Chameleons everything is an around the bout answers. In answer your questions she does take supplements (D3 calcium and since I took her to the vet liquid calcium in her fogger at night) The Vet tells me she is in very good shape he was impressed I have had her since the end of June my husband bought her for my BD she was 3 or 4 months old she was bought from Pet CO. Since I owed her I have read everything I could about her I took her to the vet to be dewormed as I read it could be an issue with them. So in the time I owned her she has been to the vet 4 times, I just trying to understand what is going on why she has her mouth open does she had a problem laying her eyes , is she in pain . again just looking for answers her bashing temp is 88.5

I am sorry I am a new to this website and not sure how things worked, I thought you asked a question and someone would answer. people who may of been thru what I am going thru , I find there is not a lot of actual facts and answers I can get on Chameleons everything is an around the bout answers. In answer your questions she does take supplements (D3 calcium and since I took her to the vet liquid calcium in her fogger at night) The Vet tells me she is in very good shape he was impressed I have had her since the end of June my husband bought her for my BD she was 3 or 4 months old she was bought from Pet CO. Since I owed her I have read everything I could about her I took her to the vet to be dewormed as I read it could be an issue with them. So in the time I owned her she has been to the vet 4 times, I just trying to understand what is going on why she has her mouth open does she had a problem laying her eyes , is she in pain . again just looking for answers her bashing temp is 88.5
Hi @Anelda. Looking back at your posts, you have been given some advice and input. However, it is most likely confusing as you have posted the same questions in different places and on other threads. If we can stay with this thread only, perhaps you can get the help you need. :)
Back in September, you were asked to fill out the help form. Without you providing that information it is very difficult to determine what exactly may be the cause of your chameleons problem. The majority of problems are due to errors in husbandry. One seemingly small thing can be wrong and have a huge effect. As you point out, it is a challenge to find the correct information about chameleons online. This is the place that can help you, but you have to give us more information please. Fill out this help form and photos are just as important as the information.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said..."In answer your questions she does take supplements (D3 calcium and since I took her to the vet liquid calcium in her fogger at night).....I wanted specific answers so I could tell if you were doing things right or your chameleon is in trouble. You need a new vet if this one is telling you to spray/fog the chameleon with liquid calcium.
She should be getting insects dusted lightly at almost every feeding with a phos free calcium powder, twice a month with a phos free/D3 powder lightly and twice a month with a vitamin powder lightly that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. The insects should be fed a good diet and gutloaded as well. If she hasn't been getting proper supplements and properly fed/gutloaded insects she might have/develop MBD. How many insects does she eat a week?

Please post some recent photos of her from the side.

Does she have a proper place to lay eggs in her cage? If not she could become eggbound.

As for the mouth being open sometimes...we need more details about that too. Is she sitting under the basking light when she does it? Is her nose up in the air when she does it? Does she sit low in the cage? If she's eggbound she could be doing it.

I hope we can help you...but we need information to do so...and it's best to help the chameleon quickly...they can go down hill quickly because they don't always show that they are in trouble. Hopefully she's not in trouble and we can get this solved!

Hi @Anelda. Looking back at your posts, you have been given some advice and input. However, it is most likely confusing as you have posted the same questions in different places and on other threads. If we can stay with this thread only, perhaps you can get the help you need. :)
Back in September, you were asked to fill out the help form. Without you providing that information it is very difficult to determine what exactly may be the cause of your chameleons problem. The majority of problems are due to errors in husbandry. One seemingly small thing can be wrong and have a huge effect. As you point out, it is a challenge to find the correct information about chameleons online. This is the place that can help you, but you have to give us more information please. Fill out this help form and photos are just as important as the information.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive. First of all the Vet did not tell me to give her liquid calcium. Everything I have read about young Chameleons with eggs if not careful can die from not enough calcium , the vet did tell me and show me the x rays she did have eggs and a lot of them, but there were not in a cluster yet and were soft,
  2. Again going back to the things I have read about not having enough calcium can hurt the Chameleon even causing death I saw the liquid calcium at Pet Smart and asked them about the using it in the fogger there I was told would be good to do so
  3. OK now to the information: my Chameleon is a veiled Chameleon, My husband bough her from Pet Co at the end of June at that time they told him she was 3 months old. Later when I took her to the vet a month later I asked her age he told me 4 or 5 months that would make her 8 or 9 months old.
  4. I have taken her to the vet several times for worm shots and general check ups just because of my concern , the last time she was at the vet was November 1st that is when the x rays showing the eggs.
  5. When I take her to the vet I am always told what I am doing is correct and she is in great shape. Ans as far as Vets go there is not a lot to choose from that see chameleons
  6. I really do not handle her , I talk to her continually through out the day but do not handle her , when she goes to the vet my husband puts her in the carrier. She does not like to be handled she hisses, opens her mouth
  7. I feed her crickets that is dusted in a powder mixed of Multi Vitamins with Beta Carotene and calcium with D3, I was told when we got her to give her these supplements daily every time she is feed
  8. Her crickets are feed oranges, potatoes, a Gut load Block, water pillows , sometimes I give her wax worms but she is interested in the worms to often
  9. She had a dipper going 24-7 for water and the fogger when her lights are not on that at night
  10. her lights-24 inch 18Watt UVB 5 she also has a 2 light socket that has a 100 watt zoo med basing light and a zoo med 5 watt UVB
  11. Her fecal is usually about 1.5 inch dark firm
  12. she has a mesh cage with vines and a large Arboricola Bush
  13. the temp of her cage is usually around 88.5 at the top and 78 at bottom
  14. Her nesting box is plastic 18x12x6 with damp sand
  15. Her cage is between the dining room and TV Room and everyone walks pass it daily and speaks to Camie
  16. Photos can be very helpful.
Ok I will try to answer everything, I am not really sure when this was asked before and some of these questions I have answered

Attach is my Camie and her cage

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
Ok. The first things that I can see just from your photos is that your enclosure is in a high traffic area of your home. While that makes it easy for you and your family to admire your chameleon, it can cause stress for her and prevent her from laying her eggs. She needs absolute privacy when laying. The other thing is while size is hard to gauge from a photo, it does appear that your lay bin is a bit small. I can’t at the moment recall the minimum size recommended, but it does need to be around 9” deep and around 12x12 around. She may chose to lay her eggs in the plant next to it, if it doesn’t have stones covering the dirt. It’s difficult because you don’t really want to make major changes at this point but they need to be made. What I would do is remove one of the branches from the current lay bin and if there are any stones over the plants, remove them. Then wrap a sheet around the lower half of the enclosure to give her privacy. Usually they don’t have interest in eating the day they’ll be laying. It may not happen for a few days, so just keep cover up. Once she’s started you can carefully peek to monitor her progress. It usually takes a day to day 1/2. When she’s done, she’ll be back in her usual spot looking thinner and a bit dirty. Hydrate her very well and give her some food. @kinyonga may have better advice than me. She’s been at this for many years and is a fount of knowledge.

Well...she looks like she's in pretty good condition...so that's good news.

You got some good advice from @MissSkittles.

The size of the container may be a little small. If you have a bigger one I'd put it in.

Make sure that once she starts digging you don't let her see you watching her. It will likely make her abandon the hole and if it happens too often it can lead to egg binding.

This is how it should go...she may dig several holes but should settle on one and dig it until she's happy with it. She should then turn around butt down in the hole and lay her eggs. This usually happens in the evening. It can take a day or more to lay the eggs. She may sleep/stay in the hole all night. When the laying is done she should fill in the hole, tamp down the sand and return to the branches thin and hungry and thirsty. If this isn't the way it goes please let us know ASAP. If she becomes lethargic, sleeps during the day, sits low in the cage, etc please let us know that too. It's important to dig the eggs up after she's completely done to look at their condition and to count them so you will know if she's laying too many or not.

Good luck.

Why oh why, didn’t I find this blog before :-( y’all are all so amazing helping with such a special little creature. True love for the species comes at no charge for the animals benefit. Absolutely admire you all for your knowledge, love and care. I’m here to learn everything I can. Before I consider rescuing again. I saw one on Craigslist again, not doing so well... ugh tugs at my heart.
I hope everything goes well... please let us know.

Why oh why, didn’t I find this blog before :-( y’all are all so amazing helping with such a special little creature. True love for the species comes at no charge for the animals benefit. Absolutely admire you all for your knowledge, love and care. I’m here to learn everything I can. Before I consider rescuing again. I saw one on Craigslist again, not doing so well... ugh tugs at my heart.
I hope everything goes well... please let us know.
While I am fairly inexperienced with chameleons I do know that it is super difficult to start with an ailing one. If you are interested in trying again, learn learn learn all that you can and don’t be afraid to ask questions. This is an amazing community and has I’m sure saved countless chameleons lives. Welcome to the forums. :)
This is a great podcast to learn about so many things.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

While I am fairly inexperienced with chameleons I do know that it is super difficult to start with an ailing one. If you are interested in trying again, learn learn learn all that you can and don’t be afraid to ask questions. This is an amazing community and has I’m sure saved countless chameleons lives. Welcome to the forums. :)
This is a great podcast to learn about so many things.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
Thank you so much for the podcast info... that is awesome! That does make sense about it being difficult to start with a ailing. My son had wanted one for 3 years and finally thought 12 would be a responsible age while he has always been a very responsible kid. I knew I would be the primary caretaker. We did some research. I really read up on all that I could know- I thought! The Pet stores I took him to, really do make it very easy sounding. I had kept a saltwater tank for 16 years, different sizes, different corals and fish in all care levels. My 15 year old clown passed and then my other, his mate, another 15 year old clown passed right after- that’s how it goes. That’s rare for captive fish. I decided I would get my son a chameleon. I like to adopt/rescue before going to pet stores. I found one on Craigslist in May. A sweet little 4 month old little girl that I named Daisy on the 4 hour drive home with her. Her owner didn’t have “room for her” which didn’t make sense. I picked her up without lighting that I read about being super important, a water bowl with evaporated water with dirty stain in the Bottom, no branches just small fake trees for fish tanks, and freeze dried crickets in a bowl. She was stashed in their garage in a dusty glass aquarium. I brought her home and put her in her new home, which was setup based on what I read and was told, offered her live food and she wouldn’t eat it. Day 5 I was very concerned, I take her to the vet which now knowing what I know, they didn’t know much despite being a reptile vet. Her calcium was low, so he sent me home with 2 different supplements and gave her IV. She still wouldn’t eat. Took her back to the vet 3 days later now at $1400. The diff vet, same place, didn’t agree with her coworkers treatment. She had a broken leg, MBD, & suggested I up the supplements. I finally got her to eat and drink from the dripper as long as I gave it to her. Her leg got better so she could climb. It was a battle from day 1. I did the cricket dustings & gut loading that only online mentioned (not the vet), I upgraded the lighting after reading indepth online which is still controversial between diff sites, the vet, the petsmart expert lol they shouldn’t give advice if they aren’t quiet sure. Do you know the 2 vets said “yep she’s a girl” and never told me about bedding to provide a laying box for her at 9 months?!? That they produce eggs even if they don’t mate. I read that online. Not being mean- but it’s a life a very special life and by all the empty chameleon homes online for sale on owner for sale sites people are misinformed and don’t understand the importance because it is down played. Daisy would have spouts of not wanting to eat- A LOT! I offered different insects from the chart when she didn’t want to eat and normal times too and she wouldn’t really eat. I would try everything. Her leg that wasn’t casted by the vet, healed weird so she was clumsy, She fell from a short distance and a padded fall and broke her other back leg and her “healed” leg was injured again. Wednesday around 10pm she started breathing heavy... I was going to take her to the vet in the AM, which would have been an emergency visit on thanksgiving, but she passed away between the 2 hours that I accidentally fell asleep watching over her all night ..I found her 8:45am thanksgiving morning. My heart has been completely broke that I failed her. She was about 8 months old. I did read about being gravid and I prepped that for her thinking that’s why she wouldn’t eat. The bucket is what caused her to fall I believe... she was scared of the new addition but I had it hidden. I would love to welcome a new healthy baby to my home... but I want to learn all that I can before I do that. What I found as a new comer is that there isn’t many photos of successful habitats, or the egg laying boxes so reading instructions might interpret things different. Photos are always great!!! Also lighting schedules, misting schedules.. just everything that you all successful chameleon parents do, can reallly realllly help prevent mistakes. I’m a web developer (support the Marine Corps), but I would love to create a site with the gospel for successfully keeping these little hearts living the best life possible. For example, Misting before lights go out may not be the best idea. Best times to feed and then bask so digestion can occur. The entire setup (lighting requirements even the surprising to me that you have to check the depth that the UVB reaches in the home by the wattage, Petsmart doesn’t have that info displayed in their lighting and that would be great) and placement within the habitat and why. There’s more info on how to choose the proper lightbulb for your car in the isle than how to choose the proper lighting. When a dog or cat is adopted you have to read this page of info, that should be the same for these special guys. So that the wheel doesn’t constantly have to be reinvented. I definitely wrote more than expected. But I really stressed myself out trying to make her better and do the right thing. It has completely broken my heart that I couldn’t save her.

Maybe, just maybe, if it can be the first webpage on google then people interested in chameleons can see what really goes into keeping them healthy and will decide either to put the time in or not... save lives and prevent empty homes or sick babies from being sold online. Daisy really touched my heart and I miss her tremendously! I will forever be an advocate.

@Shhweetp ...I'm glad that you found this forum but please don't take over other people's threads when they're trying to get help...you should start your own thread so that this one can stay on topic. It makes it easier for us to help people.

@Anelda ...how's it going with your chameleon?

It has been a month since I took Camie to the Vet she still has not laid her clutch , I am attaching a current picture of her . Also a picture of her new nesting box . Do I need to take her back to the vet or just be patient

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 124
Is she doing any of those things?
She does sit low in her cage sometime but most of the day she is high in her cage under the lights she still eats and acts as always the only thing is she is getting bigger by the day and moves a little slower. How long, do you know before they lay the clutch .

She does sit low in her cage sometime but most of the day she is high in her cage under the lights she still eats and acts as always the only thing is she is getting bigger by the day and moves a little slower. How long, do you know before they lay the clutch .
That I don’t know. @kinyonga does I’m sure and can tell you when she’s around.

Back
Top Bottom