Egg laying female after care

sassyboots

Hello,
I have a female veiled that just laid her first clutch (infertile) 12 days ago. She seems slightly lethargic, is only eating about 3/4 of what she used to, is drinking normally. This morning I found a random egg on the floor.
When she laid her eggs, she started digging in a plant, I swapped out for a bigger pot with just soil, she dug down laid her clutch and covered up in about a day. The next day she perfected the pot, smoothing it all out and went back to her lights. She did not look as skinny as my other female after laying eggs but she is eating and drinking. After 3 days I took the pot out and dug up her eggs to find 19 huge eggs. (much larger then the other female I have who laid 47 tiny ones) This morning I found a random egg on the floor. I'm unclear why. If she finished laying her eggs, she covered them up and everything. Could she still have eggs she didn't get out? If she does, why isn't she digging to get them out? She is eating and drinking though just not as much. I'm not sure if she is recouping still or something freaked her out. If she abandoned the nest would she have taken the time to cover it up?

She might be egg bound see if you can feel any lumps towards the rear if she does have some retained eggs you can sometimes feel them they will feel like she swallowed a small rock. If she don't perk up real soon I would take her to a Reptile vet for some x-rays. Don't wait too long the weaker they get the worse the prognoses.

I have felt her up over the course of the week thinking that she might have things in there still and I don't feel anything there. Towards her back legs it actually looks empty especially since she was totally fat with eggs. I'll make an appointment with her vet.

Update- for anyone who might have wondered I took Wahine to the vet and with bloodwork and x-rays she was cleared from being egg bound. Doc says her calcium was depleted but common since she just laid eggs. Her cell count was slightly high so she's fighting something but all in all was cleared of an emergent situation. She was sent home with liquid calcium, and a couple antibiotics since she hasn't had much feces he wants to make sure there is no bacteria in her. That was 3 days ago and she's eating much better. Still slightly lethargic but it's cold here so I think she just wants her heat. I can't afford to keep my place at 80. I feel relived she's not bound. Doc told me to keep her digging pot in her cage and she might lay again soon. Xrays showed there were still eggs in folicle stages but still devolping and not calcified to be ready for laying.
She is doing better I think it was just a stressful laying process.

Update- for anyone who might have wondered I took Wahine to the vet and with bloodwork and x-rays she was cleared from being egg bound. Doc says her calcium was depleted but common since she just laid eggs. Her cell count was slightly high so she's fighting something but all in all was cleared of an emergent situation. She was sent home with liquid calcium, and a couple antibiotics since she hasn't had much feces he wants to make sure there is no bacteria in her. That was 3 days ago and she's eating much better. Still slightly lethargic but it's cold here so I think she just wants her heat. I can't afford to keep my place at 80. I feel relived she's not bound. Doc told me to keep her digging pot in her cage and she might lay again soon. Xrays showed there were still eggs in folicle stages but still devolping and not calcified to be ready for laying.
She is doing better I think it was just a stressful laying process.

For heat, just put an incandescent light bulb--a basking bulb--over her cage. Good luck with her. Sometimes egg laying can really knock them down.

For heat, just put an incandescent light bulb--a basking bulb--over her cage. Good luck with her. Sometimes egg laying can really knock them down.
Thank you! She has a basking bulb at the top of her cage that she is under quite a bit especially since its winter. She is doing we better but I still don't see poop. So its either somewhere I can't see it or she's not going. She's a tough cookie- I rescued her from a pet store that was feeding her super worms 3 times her size and didn't know her eye was broken. She was the smallest chameleon the vet had ever seen. Syringe feedings until she was big enough to eat on her own makes her the nicest chameleon I have ever met (i had a very cantakerous make for 4 years before her), her eye was never saved but that has not phased her. She hunts and eats just the same but is a very cautious climber since her depth perception is wrong. This is her first set of eggs and she's a little over 2 years old. Her eggs were almost an inch each. It was just a lot for her. I'm seeing progress I would just like to see her poop.

It's been almost 2 years since you posted this. If /when you get this txt, I would like to ask you a couple of questions if you still have Wahine.

I doubt if you'll get a reply. This was the last thread the person has made and there is no recent activity on their profile...so why not just ask the questions in a new thread and we can hopefully answer the questions for you??

Back
Top Bottom