egg laying cycle question

godivasgal

Q: How often might a veild lay eggs- My 1.5 year old laid 27 (infertile) eggs approximately 3 weeks ago. She buried the eggs,then returned to eating and drinking again.Today she started digging in her hibicus plant, so I offered her a 5 gal bucket with damp eco-earth- she dug herself a new tunnel and is currently still there- IS is normal to lay eggs again that soon-might she not passed all her eggs to begin with? Should I be concerned? I do not know if she has laid more since I didn't want to disturb her.

So I removed the dirt bucket- she did lay one more after laying a clutch of 27 eggs 3 weeks ago- is this normal behavior for a veiled?

For the animals safety. I think I'd go have her x-rayed. She may have retained some eggs for any number of reasons. If she has, she will need to have them removed surgically if they remain inside her they will/can fuse together and make it impossible for her to pass them normally. They will basically spoil inside her. I think your past the option of getting an oxytocin shot to help her go into labor basically. But the vet may disagree and give her the shot if shes retaining any eggs. If she does receive the oxy shot, I'd also ask for her to get a shot of calcium also. Jmpo, and no Im not a vet and I dont play one on here. Just what I'd do if she were mine. ;)

Back
Top Bottom