egg humidity help. pleeeeeeeeese?

chamcrazy

I have 65 eggs (hopefully all fertile) from my veiled. They are less than two weeks laid. I am trying to keep the humidity at a steady 75% (ish) As soon as I put the lid on the incubator tight, it goes up to 90%, but when I take it off, it goes down to about 69%. What is the best way to stablize it?

And...

when the humidity gets low, what is the best way to add moisture? I sprayed it w/ a mister once but with 65 eggs, it's hard not to get them wet too. Is that ok?

Please help.

Your methods seem a bit unorthodox.

Probably the best way to stabilize humidity is to place the eggs in a sealed container (with a couple tiny air holes) and to open it only rarely.

I think most breeders place their eggs in substrate (perlite, sand, or vermiculite) in a plastic container. The substrate is moistened (some people moisten it just until squeezing it will went their fingers, or squeezing it forms a few drops, others follow a specific formula). A lid is placed on the container. Two tiny holes are drilled into the lid to allow for air. The container is kept closed for the duration of the incubation period, except for opening it occasionally to check the moistness of the substrate and adding tiny bits of moisture (to the edge of the substrate- not the eggs) if necessary. You really don't even have to open the lid to check moisture. You can see tiny drops or mist of moisture on the sides and sometimes the top.

Some people incubate there's in a closet at room temperature but I have not tried that.

I followed Kingyonga's temperature of 78 degrees, and my veiled eggs began hatching at 6 1/2 months. I kept them in my feeder closet, which was set at 78 degrees.

I used an incubator for my panther eggs (because I took them through a diapause first), but still placed them in the incubator in their sealed container.

Here is a great thread where Kinyonga posts some excellent instructions:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-chameleon-breeding-questions-8640/

And here is another interesting thread, to show you that others have used different methods successfully. But I think all basically do their eggs in well sealed containers, with tiny holes for air.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/incubating-veiled-eggs-8245/

Last edited:
I have used the sealed container on a top shelf in my reptile room and have just recently hatched 30 veiled eggs. The wait time was just shy of 8 months. I never added water as the sides showed moisture for the duration. This method worked for me, good luck.

Is their an ideal humidity level though? I monitor the humidity in my incubator as well as temps. My levels are at 79' with 80% humidity...The eggs look happy, and I don't have any condensation build up. Sound Right? I use Hatchrite as well, and have not had to add any water myself.

Joe, ive read/ been told you want some condinsation build up..but its better to be to dry then to wet..a dehydrated egg can be reversed...i would imagine your going to have to add some moisture at some point...

wow...crazy..well, vibrant posted yesterday about his success with hatchrite..said it work great 100% hatchrate, and did nothing for moisture.. didnt menmtion weather or not he had condinsation build up.... so i would asume your good.. id keep an eye on humidity..

Back
Top Bottom