Egg Factory

yoza717

One of my females laid eggs 27 eggs on March 22, I got her watered and fed to her content thinking that she needed the extra nutrients from all that egg producing.
Two weeks ago I noticed that she was getting chubby again. Last week she momentarily showed gravid colors, but went back to her grayish / green color. And the last couple of days she had been roaming the floor so I put a laying bin in her cage again, just incase she is gravid again.
Low and behold this morning, she laid another 29 eggs.

Is this normal? She was only breed once. And the first clutch, she did the text book gravid color change and weight gain with the sack of marbles look.
This clutch caught me by surprise. Hopefully she is done...she needs the rest.

Keep an eye on her, its not uncommon for them to lay a 3rd retained clutch that is good, and its never happened to me, but Ive heard of 4 happening. Feed her well to recover over the next few days, then cut back to a regular feeding schedual. If you have not invested in a scale, now is the time to do so. Keeping consistent weight records of your female is, in my opinion, the best way to track whether or not your girl is going to lay again.

Thanks for the info. I do have a digital scale. I just got lax with it since I wasn't expecting multiple clutches. Now I know.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom