Egg Concerns

Harley510

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, guessing 6-9 months ? I’ve had her since August 2018.
  • Handling - I handle her maybe every other week. Maybe once a month.
  • Feeding - Feeding her 5-10 ( what ever crawls up the cricket cage collector thing, they’re gut loaded with greens/carrots), dusted with calcium every day, she has non stop fresh collard greens in her cage. Every day around 9:30 AM.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium without D3 everyday and Zoo Med Reptivite without D3 once a week.
  • Watering - I use a Zoo Med mister, i aim for 3 times a day sometimes twice a day, i see her before i mist her. I mist her a tiny bit then let her go hide on a branch i have specifically for that then i spray for a good 30-45 seconds.
  • Fecal Description Brown some times black. Urate is almost solid white with a little like “ tint “ of yellow
  • History - Got her from PetCo because i was going to buy catfood and saw her in a little tub that was at most 10 inches high and i felt like she wasn’t properly taken care of so i took her home with me instantly.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 18x18x36
  • Lighting - ZooMed deep dome with a 100W basking lamp and a ZooMed 5.0. 8AM to 8 PM.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is about 85, middle of cage is roughly 80-75, bottom of the cage is probably in the 70s. I use a ZooMed temp gauge for the basking spot and a digital thermometer for the middle when i feel curious to check it.
  • Humidity - When I mist it gets to about 80-90. I have a ZooMed humidity gauge to measure that. I have super thin plastic covering 75% of one wall ( it’s against my wall don’t really want to demolish my poster behind it lol )
  • Plants - I have 3 fake plants connected to each other, fake branches, and i guess like plumbing wire i think( it’s a weird green color of plastic with a wire in the middle it was washed and checked for any exposed wire previous to being placed in her cage ). Along with growing pothos intertwined with the fake plants. It easily has 8 good stems of leafs about 1-2 feet long a pop.
  • Placement - The cage is in my bedroom on top of a 3 foot high mini fridge so her basking spot is roughly 6 feet above the ground. it’s about 5 feet from my ceiling fan ( it’s not ever on since i got her ). Top of the cage is about 6 feet off the floor.
  • Location - Northern California USA
Current Problem - She has had a weird zebra like pattern for about a solid day. She’s only done this about 3 times but that was because i was cleaning her cage and she was being pissy. But this time i haven’t really even put my hands near her ( i like to give her her space ). I believe she’s older then 6 months old, well over 6 months old and she hasn’t layed her eggs yet. She has a foot deep 10 inches long and 8 inches wide laying bed. I’ve never really seen her go on the bottom besides the first time she discovered her 100watt bulb was HOT. But the weird pattern is making me extremely anxious about her becoming egg bound.

Attachments

• 3F4134FC-F773-4E55-8E6F-C2071BE6A715.jpeg
    3F4134FC-F773-4E55-8E6F-C2071BE6A715.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 86
  • D5A6A4BB-21FB-4F8F-89E3-23387375FF01.jpeg
    D5A6A4BB-21FB-4F8F-89E3-23387375FF01.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, guessing 6-9 months ? I’ve had her since August 2018.
  • Handling - I handle her maybe every other week. Maybe once a month.
  • Feeding - Feeding her 5-10 ( what ever crawls up the cricket cage collector thing, they’re gut loaded with greens/carrots), dusted with calcium every day, she has non stop fresh collard greens in her cage. Every day around 9:30 AM.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium without D3 everyday and Zoo Med Reptivite without D3 once a week.
  • Watering - I use a Zoo Med mister, i aim for 3 times a day sometimes twice a day, i see her before i mist her. I mist her a tiny bit then let her go hide on a branch i have specifically for that then i spray for a good 30-45 seconds.
  • Fecal Description Brown some times black. Urate is almost solid white with a little like “ tint “ of yellow
  • History - Got her from PetCo because i was going to buy catfood and saw her in a little tub that was at most 10 inches high and i felt like she wasn’t properly taken care of so i took her home with me instantly.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 18x18x36
  • Lighting - ZooMed deep dome with a 100W basking lamp and a ZooMed 5.0. 8AM to 8 PM.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is about 85, middle of cage is roughly 80-75, bottom of the cage is probably in the 70s. I use a ZooMed temp gauge for the basking spot and a digital thermometer for the middle when i feel curious to check it.
  • Humidity - When I mist it gets to about 80-90. I have a ZooMed humidity gauge to measure that. I have super thin plastic covering 75% of one wall ( it’s against my wall don’t really want to demolish my poster behind it lol )
  • Plants - I have 3 fake plants connected to each other, fake branches, and i guess like plumbing wire i think( it’s a weird green color of plastic with a wire in the middle it was washed and checked for any exposed wire previous to being placed in her cage ). Along with growing pothos intertwined with the fake plants. It easily has 8 good stems of leafs about 1-2 feet long a pop.
  • Placement - The cage is in my bedroom on top of a 3 foot high mini fridge so her basking spot is roughly 6 feet above the ground. it’s about 5 feet from my ceiling fan ( it’s not ever on since i got her ). Top of the cage is about 6 feet off the floor.
  • Location - Northern California USA
Current Problem - She has had a weird zebra like pattern for about a solid day. She’s only done this about 3 times but that was because i was cleaning her cage and she was being pissy. But this time i haven’t really even put my hands near her ( i like to give her her space ). I believe she’s older then 6 months old, well over 6 months old and she hasn’t layed her eggs yet. She has a foot deep 10 inches long and 8 inches wide laying bed. I’ve never really seen her go on the bottom besides the first time she discovered her 100watt bulb was HOT. But the weird pattern is making me extremely anxious about her becoming egg bound.
Only handle her if she wants it (climbs onto you), and always reward it with either a treat (favorite feeder insect), going to a free range set up, or going outside (when warm enough). Add either some more organic fresh fruits and veggies to your gutload (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Mazuri, or Repashy. Get Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3 and use it every two weeks. Change your Zoo Med Reptivite without D3 schedule to every two weeks as well. Do you have an automated mister? The Zoo Med ReptiRain automated mister is crap, get a MistKing. Veileds need to misted a minimum of 3 times a day, more might be needed depending on humidity, for at least 2 minutes each time. Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture (use either Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6% for the bulb for your size of cage). Compact coil uvbs don’t penetrate deep enough into the cage and can cause eye problems. Basking temp is perfect! What’s the temp drop at night? Average humidity should be between 40-70%. Can you snap a pic of her cage and lay bin, please? What substrate are you using for the lay bin? Get a lay bin at least 1’ by 1’ by 1’ filled to the top with washed play sand or organic soil, but preferably a lay bin 16” by 16” by 16” filled at least a foot deep.

Only handle her if she wants it (climbs onto you), and always reward it with either a treat (favorite feeder insect), going to a free range set up, or going outside (when warm enough). Add either some more organic fresh fruits and veggies to your gutload (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Mazuri, or Repashy. Get Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3 and use it every two weeks. Change your Zoo Med Reptivite without D3 schedule to every two weeks as well. Do you have an automated mister? The Zoo Med ReptiRain automated mister is crap, get a MistKing. Veileds need to misted a minimum of 3 times a day, more might be needed depending on humidity, for at least 2 minutes each time. Get either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture (use either Zoo Med 5.0 or Arcadia 6% for the bulb for your size of cage). Compact coil uvbs don’t penetrate deep enough into the cage and can cause eye problems. Basking temp is perfect! What’s the temp drop at night? Average humidity should be between 40-70%. Can you snap a pic of her cage and lay bin, please? What substrate are you using for the lay bin? Get a lay bin at least 1’ by 1’ by 1’ filled to the top with washed play sand or organic soil, but preferably a lay bin 16” by 16” by 16” filled at least a foot deep.

My digital thermometer says 70 at night but no lower then 60 that’s for sure. I’m using an organic soil a family member gave me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 74

My digital thermometer says 70 at night but no lower then 60 that’s for sure. I’m using an organic soil a family member gave me.

That’s fine, as long as it doesn’t go below 50*F. Chams actually prefer nighttime temp drops!

Back
Top Bottom