Edema?

apaetz

I have a 3 mth old Vieled male. I just got him and i am giving him all his suppliments with every cricket feeding. BUT, now i read that this can cause edema!!! how often should i be dusting my crickets with calcium and herpivite and minerall??? i dont want him to get edema! now im just freaking out!

apaetz said:
I have a 3 mth old Vieled male. I just got him and i am giving him all his suppliments with every cricket feeding. BUT, now i read that this can cause edema!!! how often should i be dusting my crickets with calcium and herpivite and minerall??? i dont want him to get edema! now im just freaking out!

Take a deep breath.. :D

At three months old, your little veiled's requirements are pretty high for supplementation because he is growing. I would worry less about edema and more about his bones. As he grows older, you will naturally reduce his supplements.

How often are you feeding your veiled? Daily or every other day? Do you dust with all three, or rotate the supplements? What supplements do you have exactly?

Heika

repcal calcium w/ d3. repcal herpivite, and minerall -I. i put about 10 crickets a day in his cage... i think he eats about 5-7. the rest of em find some drops of water to drown in. i dust with all three daily but if i need to change that then i will! please let me know.

thanks man!
aaron.

I think others can give you better advice than I can with a veiled, as I haven't owned one. I do have a panther, and when he was a little guy, my supplementation schedule was something like this...

Minerall I one day a week
RepCal with D3 three days a week
RepCal without D3 2 days a week
One day with nothing at all.

I never dusted with all three.. and I didn't use herptivite until he was much older, but that is simply because.. well, I didn't.

There are A LOT of knowledgable veiled breeders and keepers on this forum, and I am sure they will pop in with more information for you. :D

The good thing is that you are supplementing! Lots miss that all together! Are you gutloading your crickets? And, are you feeding him anything besides crickets?

Heika

thanks for the tips! yea...ive been gutloading them with crappy flukers but i am waiting for my WER gutload to arrive! hope its as great as they say.

thanks again man!
--aaron

I have a 5 month old Male Veiled. He is starting to grow like a weed. I use gutloaded crickets Monday,Tuesday, Thursday, Friday with 2:1 Calcium:phosphorus, On Wednesday, Saturday I use meal worms and 2 wax worms with the Herptivite vitamins. Sunday I put a group of crickets in without any supliments usually, just the gut load. He looks pretty healthy to me and I have not seen anything wrong with this schedule. Once he gets more towords his adult size I will tone the feeding daily to every other day. And supliment as needed, maybe 1 to 2 times a week. Dont know yet, havent gotten there.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom