Eating Troubles

CharlieCharmingo

Avid Member
So Tony hasn't been eating these last couple of days. Let me rephrase, he hasn't been eating his crickets the last couple of days. This is really worrying me. He had a little accident a week or so back but aside from chipping some of his nails he was fine. He walks fine and doesn't have shaking limbs and his spine is straight still. I saw him eat one cricket once and that was it. Thinking he had a problem shooting them I brought out his worms to see how his tongue would do. He caught them all no problem. When he goes outside he'll even try/eat those bugs. However he goes back in his cage and won't touch his crickets at all. My vet told me once sometimes they throw tantrums and you just have to wait them out. Still, I'm not very keen on just not feeding him them it somehow feels like neglect even if he does need to learn that crickets are important meal food. I'm sure he's fine, but I've decided his next poop is going to get a fecal examination. Especially because I saw him eat something in the dirt that...well let's say it wasn't kosher. Maybe do I take him out too much so he's spoiled and thinks all his meals should be had outside? I usually get him the brown crickets, but this time around I bought him some giant black crickets to spice things up but he is not having it. He seems to be over his Dubai roaches too. However I don't want him to just be on a diet of wax worms, horn worms, and supers (he loves his worms). Maybe should I try a whole new rotation of bugs? If so, tell me what you're feeding your guys and dolls?

Black crickets are extremely dangerous, I would never feed them. They are known for eating your chameleons and are far more likely to do so than any other cricket. Honestly it sounds like he's gotten addicted to worms. The best way to break this is to only offer crickets or roaches until he starts eating them again. It's not neglect, you are offering food, he just won't eat it.

They will do that mine do it all the time. I have some that refused to eat roaches. You have to wait them out. No black crickets please. The worms will get so addicted on. So it's just a treat that I give my like twice or three times a week. I just stick to crickets roaches and horns and sometimes butterflies and silks. Butterflies are special treat they cost too much money

I wouldn't worry too much or feel too guilty about holding out with the tasty worm treats. I would however continue with offering Mr. Picky ( I mean Tony ;)) the horn worms as those are a good staple that will hydrate. If he loves worms also offer silks! My Kai is a VERY picky eater who started refusing his crickets and dubai's in favor of only supers. When I noticed his total obsession for supers I started swapping them for the silks and horns. It worked and I can occasionally slip in a dubai here and there and he even has begun to miss his crickets :rolleyes:
Maybe try some walking sticks or moths!

I wouldn't worry too much or feel too guilty about holding out with the tasty worm treats. I would however continue with offering Mr. Picky ( I mean Tony ;)) the horn worms as those are a good staple that will hydrate. If he loves worms also offer silks! My Kai is a VERY picky eater who started refusing his crickets and dubai's in favor of only supers. When I noticed his total obsession for supers I started swapping them for the silks and horns. It worked and I can occasionally slip in a dubai here and there and he even has begun to miss his crickets :rolleyes:
Never tried walking sticks I'll have to do that

Haha, Mr. Picky. I never thought of walking sticks I'll have to give them a try.
They will do that mine do it all the time. I have some that refused to eat roaches. You have to wait them out. No black crickets please. The worms will get so addicted on. So it's just a treat that I give my like twice or three times a week. I just stick to crickets roaches and horns and sometimes butterflies and silks. Butterflies are special treat they cost too much money[/QUO

Haha Mr. Picky. I never thought about walking sticks. Where do you get yours?

Also, Link, I thought butterflies were bad for chameleons?

Also also, in other news today's I saw him eat two crickets. Crunched them up real good, I was so pleased shouting various mother things like "'Atta boy" and "Whose super handsome eating his crickets all up?!" You know haha. I put two more in there and am seeing what he'll do. I think I'm going to wait a full day of cricket eating before I bring the horn worms out. I don't want him to think their just a substitute for supers and start this process all over again because he loves those too.

How you doing Tony I mean. He eating better?

Haha. Weird you should ask. I was literally just responding to you. He ate two crickets today so I put two more in there to see what he'll do. You said you give yours butterflies? I thought they were not good for them?

Haha. Weird you should ask. I was literally just responding to you. He ate two crickets today so I put two more in there to see what he'll do. You said you give yours butterflies? I thought they were not good for them?
That's good that he's eating:)(y). Butterflies twice a year maybe. It's a special treat I've always gave them to them when my kids grow them in that butterfly thing . They get them in the wild. So they can't be that bad. The breed butterflies I use are painted ladies. If you read half the stuff that people put out there in books. These things shouldn't even be alive. If it's not broke don't fix it. I got to throw that Old Chestnut out there haha:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah I never catch anything in the wild you don't know what they've been eating. I know monarchs they cannot have because they eat milkweed

Grow your own you know you're safe. I have a butterfly place around the corner from my house thinking about bringing my chameleons. ...:LOL::LOL: I think they frown upon that though:ROFLMAO:

Is his cage bright enough? WIthout enough light they won't eat.

I thought about that being a possibility too. Like maybe he was too cold to eat/the cage was not bright or warm enough. I added extra light fixtures. He ate three fat crickets today though so things are looking up.

A large amount of the butterflies available in the wild are poisonous so I wouldn't just go catch any sort of butterfly

Haha. Yea I know, if I were to give him butterflies I'd do like Link and grow them myself so I know for sure what they've been up to.

Back
Top Bottom