eating mud?

dunkyg

Hi there, my 6 month old male yemen has started going to the only plant pot with visible mud and eating it. Theres no food on it at the time but he fires out his toungue and seems quite happy doing it. of course its so quick i cant actually tell if hes getting mud but what else could it be? moisture? nutriants? its organic soil btw.:confused:

Hi! I haven't encountered you, so welcome to the board.

He's shooting his tongue at the mud?

That's not something I remember people mentioning. I wonder if you might have insects in your plants that your chameleon is hunting? Little things you might not have noticed.

Usually when they eat dirt, the just chomp it without bothering to shoot their tongues. At least, that's what I've gleaned from the posts here.

yes he shoots it out as if hes hunting but theres nothing there, not that i can see anyway. if he does it later i'll try film him so u can see it:)

oooo....video is good!!! That will probably help someone much more expert than I am to help you!!!

You might want to fill in the "How to Ask for Help" form. Just copy and paste into a reply, add your information. It's a good way to get it over with. You'll still be asked questions on your husbandry, but getting that out of the way will make it easier.

Some reptiles like Geckos,etc eat dirt or tiny rocks to help grind up their food to make it easier to digest. I have heard of Chameleons doing it but not often. It is not a good thing because it can cause impaction which can make you Cham very sick. You should take the plant out of the tank and cover the dirt with some dead leaves or something.

Chameleons do this sometimes. Its nothing to worry about as long as its not large amounts and that the soil doesnt contain anything harmful. Organic soil should be OK. I believe the main concerns is that it could cause impaction. I also believe the reasons for them doing it could be either a dehydration or lacking certain vitamins/minerals.

What supplements are you using, and how often?

How are his urates? White/yellow/orange?

Back
Top Bottom