Eating Issues

Hello everyone. I recently received my chameleon 6 days and the only time it has eaten was 2 days ago and it was a hornworm. I have been putting food in his feeder bowl but he hasn't eaten from it, but I have seen him linger around the area of the bowl looking at the bugs and then crawling away. He has done this multiple times. One time I free ranged a hornworm on a plant and then after a couple of hours he finally ate it. Any suggestions? Should I buy a feeder run for him or should I just give him more time? I will put below my husbandry and photos of his enclosure and feeder bowl.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.02.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.02.14 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.02.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.02.21 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Hello everyone. I recently received my chameleon 6 days and the only time it has eaten was 2 days ago and it was a hornworm. I have been putting food in his feeder bowl but he hasn't eaten from it, but I have seen him linger around the area of the bowl looking at the bugs and then crawling away. He has done this multiple times. One time I free ranged a hornworm on a plant and then after a couple of hours he finally ate it. Any suggestions? Should I buy a feeder run for him or should I just give him more time? I will put below my husbandry and photos of his enclosure and feeder bowl.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 month old male panther chameleon, has been in my care for 6 days
  • Handling - I do not handle my chameleon since I just got it
  • Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I gut load my feeders with collard greens and carrots.
  • Supplements - I use calcium without d3 6 times a week, and then calcium with d3 once every other week. I use a multivitamin once every other week.
  • Watering - I use the mistking misting system and I mist my enclosure 3 times for 2 minutes every day. I have seen my chameleon drink once but I know he has probably been drinking more but they are shy eaters and drinkers.
  • Fecal Description - My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. His stool is dark brown and has a slimy substance over it.
  • History - I bought him from Roberson Reptiles and he was shipped from Florida to California overnight.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - My cage is a 2 x 2 x 4 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - I use a T5 HO 5.0 Linear UVB light. I use a basking light and another light for the plants to grow.
  • Temperature - The ambient temperature during the day is 70 degrees, its basking temperature is 80 degrees. I measure these temperatures with a temperature gun and the lowest the temp goes is 65 during the night.
  • Humidity - The humidity levels in the cage are 45% so I ordered plastic shower curtains to put on the sides of the enclosure to retain more moisture. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - I am using all live plants- A money Tree, a Hawaiian Ti Plant, a Pothos plant, an Umbrella Tree, a Calathea Plant, a Wandering Jew, a Weeping Fig, a Spider plant, and a Prayer plant.
  • Placement - My cage is located in my room, very low traffic.
  • Location - I am in California
When recently bringing a cham home they are known to not eat the first few days in their new cage. He needs time to adjust to the new environment :) I’ll let someone else review your husbandry

Can I see a picture of your chameleon. Also are you sure it’s 3 months old I’ve seen a lot of threads that have younger chams then told so I just want to make sure since I don’t recommend you buy a cham younger than 3 months old because of health issues etc...

Can I see a picture of your chameleon. Also are you sure it’s 3 months old I’ve seen a lot of threads that have younger chams then told so I just want to make sure since I don’t recommend you buy a cham younger than 3 months old because of health issues etc...
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.12.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.12.29 PM.png

Feeding - I feed my chameleon dubia roaches, BSFL, waxworms, and hornworms. 8 dubias, 3 BSFL, 1 hornworm and 1 waxworm everyday. I
Also this could be an issue.... What was he being fed prior to you getting him. Most breeder raise them on crickets.

If he is screen climbing the top panel you will need to raise your fixtures. T5 Should be raised 4 inches with the basking branch 5 inches below the screen and then you want the heat fixtures up off the top as well. These are a major thermal burn risk for babies. Exo terra light brackets can be modified and screwed into the cage frame raising the heat fixtures up off the top. Use your hand on the screen and make sure it does not burn you.

Also this could be an issue.... What was he being fed prior to you getting him. Most breeder raise them on crickets.

If he is screen climbing the top panel you will need to raise your fixtures. T5 Should be raised 4 inches with the basking branch 5 inches below the screen and then you want the heat fixtures up off the top as well. These are a major thermal burn risk for babies. Exo terra light brackets can be modified and screwed into the cage frame raising the heat fixtures up off the top. Use your hand on the screen and make sure it does not burn you.
Got it. From the looks of the photos does he look 3 months to you?

He looks about 3 months old. You can try to put some crickets loose in the the cage. I have 2 panthers that will not eat out of bowls or feeder runs. My other panthers eat out of feeder runs just fine. So I pretty much have to sprinkle the feeders over their plants and they go nuts hunting them down. Downside to that is the feeders are good at hiding.

Could be... Really they are all different with their growth rate. But get the feeder run I linked. It will work much better then the cup... And try small crickets so he sees something he is used to.

Back
Top Bottom