Easy way to catch crickets?

WashingtonCham

Established Member
This is probably a stupid question but I have a 10 gallon glass aquarium for my crickets and they love to play keep away by the time I get an egg carton out they’ve nearly all jumped off. Was wondering if there was any easy way people get their crickets to come other than a cricket tunnel cuz those havnt worked great for me either. I was thinking just a scooper but Then again they’d prob just jump out as well. Just wanted to get some ideas of what you all do

Are you saying that if you put a cardboard tube in the tank, it doesnt get lined with crickets? I dont believe you. If anything put in the tube, and give the egg cartons a good shake, they will head to the tubes.

grabe cardboard tube loaded with crickets, shake into shaker cup. Then ask yourself why you are still using crickets.

I never used egg crates when I used crickets. I used toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls. Gives them their needed hiding space and you just use a plastic cup that is larger then the tube. Stick the roll in the cup quickly and shake it side to side in the cup and they all fall out. Yes, some will jump from the roll when they feel the movement of you picking them up. Just do it quickly :p

Are you saying that if you put a cardboard tube in the tank, it doesnt get lined with crickets? I dont believe you. If anything put in the tube, and give the egg cartons a good shake, they will head to the tubes.

grabe cardboard tube loaded with crickets, shake into shaker cup. Then ask yourself why you are still using crickets.
Ya, ^ works for me too. My lil guy is still will only eat crickets (roughly 4 months), looks at superworms like I'm the weirdo, lol. Only hard time I have catching crickets is those lil $h!t$ that decide to go rogue, lol

I never used egg crates when I used crickets. I used toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls. Gives them their needed hiding space and you just use a plastic cup that is larger then the tube. Stick the roll in the cup quickly and shake it side to side in the cup and they all fall out. Yes, some will jump from the roll when they feel the movement of you picking them up. Just do it quickly :p
Why just throw them out right, made sense to me too!

I second the toilet paper rolls. We use a cricket keeper for what we will feed off...they readily climb into the tubes and are easy to shake into the dusting container. Just make sure you have enough rolls in the cage so that they aren't over crowded, as they don't play nice in tight quarters.

ummmm ok you can't just say something like that and not post a link to what you bought. I have to know :hilarious:
Screenshot_20190509-110939_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It has been a God sent!

OMG I am crying!!!!!!! I remember when I first got Beman and I freaked about touching bugs. Now I am like ehhh whatever! lol too funny hun. This would work great for the crickets but if you get into BSFL, hornworms, and silkworms not so much.
Yeah, I only use it for the crickets because they are so bouncy. The dubias bsfl and hornworms I just use feeder tongs to grab and it's fine. I never thought of just throwing paper towel rolls in there and shaking them out that way :LOL: I love my vacuum though!

Thats awesome, try & hide now lol. Pls tell me it has a reverse setting so you can just blast em back into bucket after. Would be epic,
I wish! It only sucks and then you have to just shake them out. Sometimes with the smaller crickets they get stuck in the vacuum part and you really have to shake it to get the poor thing out :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom