Dying chameleon.

Zevil

Avid Member
Some of you might have already know that I have a stunted male veiled chameleon. He was sold to me back in December 2018 as a two month old. He was small even for a two month old. The seller told me he is the second smallest of the clutch. After that sale, he soon became uncontactable.

Long story short. I found out that he's lying. This veiled was already stunted before he was sold to me, and was at least 6 months old. Sorry I mean severely stunted. He's now at least 1 year and two months old but look like he's 3 months old. And he couldn't open his eyes for two days now. He didn't want to drink or eat but he is still moving and has a strong grip. I took him to the vet and she suggested syringe feeling but if he really has a genetic health issue, then it's best to put him down. But I didn't. I don't know why I didn't.

My good friend told me that the breeder should have cull him or keep him and not sell him away.

So a word of advice. Do not buy any animal from people who you don't really know.

Did you ever get a fecal done on him?

Yes I did mention it in an earlier post I made, no signs of parasites or eggs found. Btw he open his eyes today. I don't know what's wrong with him. I took a picture of him today. Can't take a proper one because he's hiding but his eyes are open and a little dehydrated. He ran for the roaches in the feeder cup as soon as I put it in. He must be really hungry.

Attachments

• 20190810_093252.jpg
    20190810_093252.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20190810_093246.jpg
    20190810_093246.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 156
He looks to be in pretty good condition....but definitely small for over a year old.

Please be very specific with your answers.
What size insects have you been feeding him? How many a day? What insects? Gutloaded with what?

What UVB light are you using?

What is the basking temperature? The overall cage temperature?

He looks to be in pretty good condition....but definitely small for over a year old.

Please be very specific with your answers.
What size insects have you been feeding him? How many a day? What insects? Gutloaded with what?

What UVB light are you using?

What is the basking temperature? The overall cage temperature?

I have already written down the details in my older post.

Oh and he only shed 4 times in my 8 months care and each time he only gain a tiny amount of growth. It's like he is unable to absorb nutrients or something.

He’s
Yes I did mention it in an earlier post I made, no signs of parasites or eggs found. Btw he open his eyes today. I don't know what's wrong with him. I took a picture of him today. Can't take a proper one because he's hiding but his eyes are open and a little dehydrated. He ran for the roaches in the feeder cup as soon as I put it in. He must be really hungry.

He’s really cute! I hope he makes it. I would recommend another fecal sometimes it take two or three in a row for anything to show. I’d supplement his diet with some critical care that you can buy on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critic...40&s=gateway&sprefix=Critical+,aps,178&sr=8-8

You understand you might have to put forth a tiny bit of effort to help us help you, correct?

When you go to the doctor and he asks you what medicines your taking, do you tell him “I answered those questions last time I was here?”

Zevil said.."I have already written down the details in my older post."...well I'm not looking through over 400 posts you made to find it. If you want help it's a good idea to give us the information we need to help you rather than making us spend time we could be spending helping someone else by making us look for your previous posts. Maybe you could link us to that post?

Sounds like pass the blame to the last guy to me.
I'm sure you have been doing everything right.

I wish him well.

First of all not to be rude, I wasn't looking for help, that is not the point of this post. The husbandry is the exact same as what I posted before and already changed according to a few suggestions from other kind knowledgeable members. He was doing fine until recently. I just needed to let others know not to buy any animal from an unknown seller for cheap.

Anyway he had passed yesterday morning, found him dead while gripping a vine. These few days he was still eating, not as much as he used to but still eating. His eyes are close half of the time but would open his eyes if I touch him. He would move away from my hand, usual behavior. Thanks to those who express concern. I'm grateful. To the others who express doubt, I'm absolutely sure everyone knows you could handle this situation easily better than me.

I'm burying him tonight somewhere near my house.

And I'm no longer coming to this forum.

First of all not to be rude, I wasn't looking for help, that is not the point of this post. The husbandry is the exact same as what I posted before and already changed according to a few suggestions from other kind knowledgeable members. He was doing fine until recently. I just needed to let others know not to buy any animal from an unknown seller for cheap.

Anyway he had passed yesterday morning, found him dead while gripping a vine. These few days he was still eating, not as much as he used to but still eating. His eyes are close half of the time but would open his eyes if I touch him. He would move away from my hand, usual behavior. Thanks to those who express concern. I'm grateful. To the others who express doubt, I'm absolutely sure everyone knows you could handle this situation easily better than me.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sad situation you had with him never growing. Take care.

Maybe there is one thing you can try.. Put him outside for natural sunlight and natural night drop.. its impressive sometime how sunlight can be beneficial for them especially the weak one (if possible put him where there is sun in the morning and shade in the PM) Dont know if you got screen cage but you will need one to do so.

I don't know about your other post so I will stop here this may be genetic, you have picture of the poop? Im also curious if you can past the link to your old post

Give me news for the sunlight :) truly it can make miracles

I’m not going to beg you to stay but I will admit that I jumped on you without reading your thread thoroughly. I now realize you were not requesting help but were trying to help others.

99% of the threads with a name similar to this one are from keepers asking for help so I assumed that’s what you were doing and made an ass of myself. I can admit when I screw something up and that’s what I did here. My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom