Dying Cham!!! No help No Advice No Answers SMH

Ladynyce

My chams mouth will not close now his mouth is not even leveled as before his eyes are sucken in and he just looks so bad! He looks like he is gonna pass away any day! Not eating at all can't use his tongue I don't understand how he is getting so sick!

Wow doesn't sound good at all. A vet is probably the only thing that can save him. Get him to the vet a.s.a.p. I hope he gets better. Fill out the how to ask for help form so we can see if your husbandry needs to be changed

Please fill this form out that way someone can better help you and if you have any pictures it would really help also.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

If you go through their past post they have posted about this chameleon many times. I think you were told a lot to bring him to the vet though.

If you go through their past post they have posted about this chameleon many times. I think you were told a lot to bring him to the vet though.
yes and I have he had multiple trips to the vets with no answers! The vet clearly doesn't know anything with chams because he is very very VERYYYY ill! This all started with his eyes took him to the vet no answers! She has given me nothing but wrong answers! What am I suppose to do that is the only vet that works with reptiles in Scarborough! !!

Have you looked for other vets.? Called around.? Some members travel 3-4 hours for a good chameleon vet. In past post many members have tried to help you, but there isn't much we can do if he needs a vet.

So sorry that the vet you've seen has been unhelpful.
She may be the only one in your neighborhood but your cham has been getting worse, so I would get to another vet.
We care and have given you advice but that is where our ability to help your cham ends.
You'll have to find a competent vet in order for your cham to have any chance to recover.
This post on July 19th https://www.chameleonforums.com/so-annoyed-upset-still-no-recovery-help-112308/ contains details on both the problem(s) that he seems to have (MBD and perhaps other health issues) and how to find a reptile vet.

I'm very sorry to say that unless your cham gets medication from a vet who knows how to treat chams, he won't survive.
He may already be too ill to recover but without vet treatment he most certainly will not.
I have no idea where you're located but someone may know of a good vet in your area if you ask.
You can also look for one here:http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/
And here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

Why didn't he get any UVB?
Lack of UVB leads to severe health problems and eventually death.
Why is that?
It is because calcium is not absorbed by the body without UVB and calcium is essential to general health as well as to muscles (including the heart, tongue, etc.) and to bones.
More details here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-metabolic-bone-disease-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

The only way your Cham could have been getting worse after the vet is poor husbandry....... Or no improvements to what he already had. If you follow the care sheets on veileds very carefully he should start to improve. I'm sorry you are having troubles with your Cham. They are extremely sensitive to pretty much anything. And hearing what it has been through I'm surprised it's still alive. Many members have put out their knowledge to try to help. But if something is incorrect, it needs to be changed immediately!! Not a week from now or a month from now.

I don't know about all of you, but I am beginning to think this person is a troll trying to get under our skin or there is something else seriously wrong here. Search the OP's threads. Nothing seems to make sense and some of the statements are just darn right upsetting. Like the temps are 110 degrees and we all tell her/him that and a month later they are filling out the help form and the temps are still 110. The UVB light is first 100 UVB then it is a 150 UVB. Then there is no uvb. The OP states that the cham is rarely handled, but in the first thread says her son was handling it 24/7. Can't get to a vet cause they are going out of town, then the vet is out for a week...nothing seems to jive and alls its seems like the chameleon is getting worse and dying a slow death and they are very oblivious to everything. I'm not buying it.

It is very upsetting. The stories don't make sense at all, Poor Cham :( and any vet in there right mind would know that any chameleon would never need a temp of 110.

It is very upsetting. The stories don't make sense at all, Poor Cham :( and any vet in there right mind would know that any chameleon would never need a temp of 110.

Yes, if this for real, the poor cham is right. Like I said, it does not all add up.

I received much help when my "Lola" had a prolapse, visited two vets, but somehow she did not make it.
Many people wrote to me out of their kindness and saw through my soul as I struggled day and night to keep my chameleon alive and going. She was fighting for her life and I never gave up, until a week later her infection took the best of her.
Saying people in this board do not care or lend a hand is wrong. Not following peoples advice is even worse.

I am still learning a lot about this, heck I started with a fish tank believe it or not, Yak, my big boy went through everything with me, to the point that he is happy and healthy. Thanks to this board. Now I have four happy chameleons with the proper cages, proper temperatures and to the best of my ability proper feeding and supplements.

If this is a legitimate case, all I can say is learn from it, and take responsibility for your own actions, don't blame people here because there are good folks, who truly care.

my 2c

I know I saw the post and wanted to help but once Mychamtini said she had posted many times, I read some past threads, and Now I'm in your position as well.:(

Yes, if this for real, the poor cham is right. Like I said, it does not all add up.
Hello! First of all the cham forum has not been updated in a while due to the fact that I come on this site using my phone! I can't copy and paste the forum! THIS IS NOT A JOKE AND I AM FAR FROM TRYING TO GET UNDER UR SKIN! I really need help! Yes I have made posts before whwn I needed help and I dobt care if you dont believe me I been doing everything in my power and spendibg money after money trying to save him. I don't appreciate you being rude and if my post don't make sense then I am sorry. I wish u could update the forum so you guys can see whats wrong. His temps are now 80 -85, I have changed him environment due to the lighting and what not. I asked for advice on here about his lighting people gave me answers so I went and bought a rep glow 5.0 UVB light. I also got him his heating light as well which is daylight blue bulb 60w. His cage is mist 4 times a day. I have him earing crickets full size dusted with calcium with NO D3 which I had to buy because ppl in here told me he doesn't need D3 and u have also bought him a mutli vitamin as well. He was introduced to crickets, mealworms and wax worms!. I Have also moced him from the window. This morning u steamed up the bathroim and had him in there dor 20 minutes. He became very active. Sso pkease don't tell me thar this is a joke because its far fron a joke with aall the money I have spent. he had made 4 trips to the vet sunce I have had him and I am sorry if you don't velueve me but this is coming from a real animal lover. My son doesn't touch him anymore and ti be honest he us barely handled! The obly person that handles him is me and that's to hand feed him and then back in the cage. Tganks again for ur rude feedback but like u said this is my first cham ever and I will spend whatever I need to to help him which I have been!

Hello! First of all the cham forum has not been updated in a while due to the fact that I come on this site using my phone! I can't copy and paste the forum! THIS IS NOT A JOKE AND I AM FAR FROM TRYING TO GET UNDER UR SKIN! I really need help! Yes I have made posts before whwn I needed help and I dobt care if you dont believe me I been doing everything in my power and spendibg money after money trying to save him. I don't appreciate you being rude and if my post don't make sense then I am sorry. I wish u could update the forum so you guys can see whats wrong. His temps are now 80 -85, I have changed him environment due to the lighting and what not. I asked for advice on here about his lighting people gave me answers so I went and bought a rep glow 5.0 UVB light. I also got him his heating light as well which is daylight blue bulb 60w. His cage is mist 4 times a day. I have him earing crickets full size dusted with calcium with NO D3 which I had to buy because ppl in here told me he doesn't need D3 and u have also bought him a mutli vitamin as well. He was introduced to crickets, mealworms and wax worms!. I Have also moced him from the window. This morning u steamed up the bathroim and had him in there dor 20 minutes. He became very active. Sso pkease don't tell me thar this is a joke because its far fron a joke with aall the money I have spent. he had made 4 trips to the vet sunce I have had him and I am sorry if you don't velueve me but this is coming from a real animal lover. My son doesn't touch him anymore and ti be honest he us barely handled! The obly person that handles him is me and that's to hand feed him and then back in the cage. Tganks again for ur rude feedback but like u said this is my first cham ever and I will spend whatever I need to to help him which I have been!
Sorry for all the typos my phone is touch screen!!! I hope you undstand what I am saying

I received much help when my "Lola" had a prolapse, visited two vets, but somehow she did not make it.
Many people wrote to me out of their kindness and saw through my soul as I struggled day and night to keep my chameleon alive and going. She was fighting for her life and I never gave up, until a week later her infection took the best of her.
Saying people in this board do not care or lend a hand is wrong. Not following peoples advice is even worse.

I am still learning a lot about this, heck I started with a fish tank believe it or not, Yak, my big boy went through everything with me, to the point that he is happy and healthy. Thanks to this board. Now I have four happy chameleons with the proper cages, proper temperatures and to the best of my ability proper feeding and supplements.

If this is a legitimate case, all I can say is learn from it, and take responsibility for your own actions, don't blame people here because there are good folks, who truly care.

my 2c
I am not blaming anyone on here at all, all I am asking is for help that's it. Because I know everyobe on here is chameleon educated! This us the best place to go!!!

Yes that is what my vet said, I swear on my life that's what she said but that was a problem a few months ago when I came on here and they told me that was too high I changed it right away!

Everyone is on this site is here to help you. It looks like things got complicated. I'm sorry that the vet you went to was half ***, that's a waste of money:( but we want to help your Cham as best as possible, and we have given you all the info to raise a happy healthy Cham, if something is confusing or you are umsure about something don't hesitate to ask. PM me if you have any questions and I will give you the best answers I can. How is your cham doing today?

Well I apologize but some of the things you say are very contradicting.We give you advice, but you don't seem to follow it. Like I said, we told you the temps were too hot, and one month later you are filling out the form and stating your temps are still at 110. From what you are saying with the thick saliva and mouth being open, your chameleon sounds like it now has a respiratory infection. If left untreated, it will get worse and he will die. You stated 11 days AGO he had thick saliva.

Last edited:
Everyone is on this site is here to help you. It looks like things got complicated. I'm sorry that the vet you went to was half ***, that's a waste of money:( but we want to help your Cham as best as possible, and we have given you all the info to raise a happy healthy Cham, if something is confusing or you are umsure about something don't hesitate to ask. PM me if you have any questions and I will give you the best answers I can. How is your cham doing today?
He is doing well I believe I gave him 4 mealworms as well as water and put him in a steamed bathroom for about 20 minutes that was the moat active I have seen him in a while. My kids know better now then to go near the chamso eeverything done with the cham is by me! I was up till 2 laat night reading post and googling cham sickness abd I came across one that is the same as his symptoms! I will be taking him to the vet today! I googed veta last night abd found one 20 minutes away I am hoping this will be the vet for my cham!

Back
Top Bottom