Dusting FAIL

ChameleonTherapy

Established Member
My first time dusting Bodhi's crickets was this morning (supplements just came in yesterday), and I used a tupperware container as a shaker but put way too much powder in. So when I dumped the bugs out into his feeder run Ive got a huge mess to clean up. Can anyone give me a measured amount of powder I should use to use to avoid ghosting?

I use a dollar store salt or pepper shaker to put the dust in a container. Add the dust first if it spills you can dump it before the feeders go in. If that is still too much cover some of the holes with tape. Keep your supplements in a cool dry place.

I use a dollar store salt or pepper shaker to put the dust in a container. Add the dust first if it spills you can dump it before the feeders go in. If that is still too much cover some of the holes with tape. Keep your supplements in a cool dry place.
Oh I like this idea!

I use the rep cal cricket shakers... I pull the tube out that comes with it and toss it and with another cup pour the feeders into the hole on the top. I have one for each supplement I use. It lightly dusts without tons of extra supplements coming out. The extra goes back into the bottom section and you pour the bugs back out into a cup. :) I LOVE THEM!

shaker1.JPG shaker2.JPG shaker3.JPG dusted bugs.JPG

I use the rep cal cricket shakers... I pull the tube out that comes with it and toss it and with another cup pour the feeders into the hole on the top. I have one for each supplement I use. It lightly dusts without tons of extra supplements coming out. The extra goes back into the bottom section and you pour the bugs back out into a cup. :) I LOVE THEM!

View attachment 275898 View attachment 275897 View attachment 275896 View attachment 275895
That’s a cool shaker

View attachment 275898 View attachment 275897 View attachment 275896 View attachment 275895
Ya what the heck, I need one of those lol.

I just use a sandwich baggie. Shake a tiny bit of powder in there, shake the bugs around a bit, use tongs to put the bugs into the shooting gallery. I guess the shaker would be nicer though. ?

That cricket shaker @Beman has is pretty sweet. I used to try with a tiny spoon (think baby size) and take out the tiniest sliver of powder on the edge, and drop that on the bugs with a little shakey shakey before feeding. It didn't work too well. Then I tried tapping it out...Most of the time I just ended up dusting the counter more than anything else.

Now I use a tall salt shaker to store my supplements - those big 8 oz ones - that I bought for a couple bucks. One tiny shake over bugs in a feeder cup. Much less mess, much less waste! I like to pretend the supplement powder is hot chilé pepper and the restaurant patrons hate spicy food.

I ordered one this morning

So like one pinch then?
There are pinches, and there are PINCHES. You can always add more; it's more difficult to remove excess (but that can be done too—with a tea strainer, piece of screen from a cricket shipping box, etc.)

I started out using small snack baggies, then got lazy and dusted (shook) them right in the feeder bowl, which sometimes leaves a little excess, but that just goes toward dusting the next meal.

A common error seems to be dusting too much (if the dust "cakes" or builds up on the feeders};
a light dusting is enough, IME.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom