Dumb PAINTERS! Almost dead chameleon

ryan_draper

So some painters painted our guest room in our house, the room next to it is where yoda’s cage sits(right next to the door). I was at work and came home to the door wide open as all the fumes from the painted room next door intoxicated Yoda’s cage. I remember closing the door previously, preventing this from happening. So they must have literally went into that room to look at Yoda, thus leaving the door open. I looked in his cage and see him DANGLING by his two hands, almost like he was doing pull ups. The paint fumes almost killed him. I dont know what to do, and he has zero movement in his legs and arms, only things he can move is his mouth and head. I picked him up and propped him up on a perch. He drank and ate some crickets. He is 2 yeats old and really cannot lose him. I love him too much. What should I do??

Oh my goodness! Poor cham! Honestly the only thing I can think to tell you is to give him plenty of fresh air. Their lungs are very fragile, like tissue paper. To prevent him from falling, you may want to put him in a hospital bin overnight. I’d be calling the vet first thing in the morning.

Oh my goodness! Poor cham! Honestly the only thing I can think to tell you is to give him plenty of fresh air. Their lungs are very fragile, like tissue paper. To prevent him from falling, you may want to put him in a hospital bin overnight. I’d be calling the vet first thing in the morning.
Thats what I’m thinking, going straight to the vet tomorrow. I placed a fan next to the cage hopefully it will help. Thank you

typically its not the lungs that are the problem, its the kidneys. So just keep him hydrated. And like others said, if you have a "sick tank" id put him in it with some sticks across it till he is perky again.

He has absolutely no strength in his legs. And he kept falling off his perch, so i placed a towel and placed him down on the floor. He cannot move anywhere, to much pain for him. He will eat, and his eyes are fully open. I am starting to wonder i’m the paint fumes mixed with, I haven’t given him a calcium supplement in 1 1/2 weeks. His bones are very week. I’m giving him crickets dusted with calcium and vitamin d3. Also put some liquid calcium mixed into his spray bottle. I think he has might have severe case of MBD. But this only started yesterday when the painting happened. His uvb, uva, and heat lamp are about a foot above his head. A fan is nearby as well if that helps him. Thank you for all the prayers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 126
He has absolutely no strength in his legs. And he kept falling off his perch, so i placed a towel and placed him down on the floor. He cannot move anywhere, to much pain for him. He will eat, and his eyes are fully open. I am starting to wonder i’m the paint fumes mixed with, I haven’t given him a calcium supplement in 1 1/2 weeks. His bones are very week. I’m giving him crickets dusted with calcium and vitamin d3. Also put some liquid calcium mixed into his spray bottle. I think he has might have severe case of MBD. But this only started yesterday when the painting happened. His uvb, uva, and heat lamp are about a foot above his head. A fan is nearby as well if that helps him. Thank you for all the prayers!
Oh no, poor little guy :( hopefully you can get him to a good chameleon vet.

Wait what do you mean you have not been giving calcium? What is your current supplement schedule? What kind of UVB lighting do you use?

Supplements should be calcium without D3 at all feedings then Calcium with D3 and a Multivitamin 2 times a month rotated week to week at one feeding. Or if you have a calcium with D3 and multivitamin mixed together like Reptivite then you would give it 2 times a month only on say the 1st and the 15th.

But they have to have the calcium without D3 to maintain strong bones which is why it is used at every feeding except when the other types of supplements are provided.

I'll chime in here and say that highly concentrated toxic fumes can 100% cause paralysis. I see you mentioned MDB, and it might be the case, but its hard to overlook the paint fumes situation...saying he was normal before that. Fresh air, and find out what kind of paint it was. Different paints have different chemicals - oil vs latex vs varnish etc...

I'll chime in here and say that highly concentrated toxic fumes can 100% cause paralysis. I see you mentioned MDB, and it might be the case, but its hard to overlook the paint fumes situation...saying he was normal before that. Fresh air, and find out what kind of paint it was. Different paints have different chemicals - oil vs latex vs varnish etc...
Besides the insult to his poor lungs, I was wondering about the fumes being neurotoxic.

Wait what do you mean you have not been giving calcium? What is your current supplement schedule? What kind of UVB lighting do you use?

Supplements should be calcium without D3 at all feedings then Calcium with D3 and a Multivitamin 2 times a month rotated week to week at one feeding. Or if you have a calcium with D3 and multivitamin mixed together like Reptivite then you would give it 2 times a month only on say the 1st and the 15th.

But they have to have the calcium without D3 to maintain strong bones which is why it is used at every feeding except when the other types of supplements are provided.
@Beman Exactly, I rotate the powdered calcium with d3 and multivitamins every Sunday. And spray on liquid calcium without d3 every feeding. Our tap water was supplying a lot of calcium (well water) along with the supplements, until last month that we remodeled our house and put a water filter into our system. It filters out calcium. He also has a UVB, UVA, and 100w heat lamp about 1-2 feet above him. Since yesterday i’ve been putting about 1 ml of liquid calcium into Yoda’s mouth. Also i’m having a hard time getting him to drink. His tail is beginning to turn white, and have never seen him do this. Is it because of the heat lamps, uvb, or the mbd? Not enough water possibly? He’s not shedding or anything.
@kinyonga Here are some pictures of his legs.

Attachments

• 54C5F5F2-5552-4C8B-87F3-F8DD46215C67.jpeg
    54C5F5F2-5552-4C8B-87F3-F8DD46215C67.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20C70902-1FAD-403E-A786-6AE707E234AA.jpeg
    20C70902-1FAD-403E-A786-6AE707E234AA.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 99
  • A1E0DADA-C6E8-41C0-A4A7-27AA0E7C0B0E.jpeg
    A1E0DADA-C6E8-41C0-A4A7-27AA0E7C0B0E.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 97
@Beman Exactly, I rotate the powdered calcium with d3 and multivitamins every Sunday. And spray on liquid calcium without d3 every feeding. Our tap water was supplying a lot of calcium (well water) along with the supplements, until last month that we remodeled our house and put a water filter into our system. It filters out calcium. He also has a UVB, UVA, and 100w heat lamp about 1-2 feet above him. Since yesterday i’ve been putting about 1 ml of liquid calcium into Yoda’s mouth. Also i’m having a hard time getting him to drink. His tail is beginning to turn white, and have never seen him do this. Is it because of the heat lamps, uvb, or the mbd? Not enough water possibly? He’s not shedding or anything.
@kinyonga Here are some pictures of his legs.
So you need a Vet there is very little we can do for your boy.

But your supplementation is incorrect. You should be using powdered phos free calcium without D3 at all feedings and then rotate at 1 feeding each week between the calcium with D3 and your multivitamins. Supplements should be lightly dusted. Be careful of giving additional supplements without a Reptile Vet advising you to. If he is having issues due to organ failure from the exposure to the paint fumes you can further cause issues over supplementing. Their body still has to clear the water soluble supplements like calcium without D3.

I wish you well. I know it is not easy when they are hurt. But I really think he needs an experienced reptile vet.

So you need a Vet there is very little we can do for your boy.

But your supplementation is incorrect. You should be using powdered phos free calcium without D3 at all feedings and then rotate at 1 feeding each week between the calcium with D3 and your multivitamins. Supplements should be lightly dusted. Be careful of giving additional supplements without a Reptile Vet advising you to. If he is having issues due to organ failure from the exposure to the paint fumes you can further cause issues over supplementing. Their body still has to clear the water soluble supplements like calcium without D3.

I wish you well. I know it is not easy when they are hurt. But I really think he needs an experienced reptile vet.
I’m taking him to the vet today. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom