Dubia vs. orangehead orange head Eublaberus Posticus vs Blaptica dubia

Franquixote

Established Member
Hi-
There are not many threads coming up that directly compare these two- I think because some spell orangehead together and others as 2 words, so I thought I would start a thread that used both names for both roaches plus vs. + vs in the hopes people would find this more easily.

It is my understanding that they both-
* will not fly
*will not climb
*do not smell
* pose no infestation risk in climates with seasons (i.e. above the Mason-Dixon line)
*don't bite humans

The preference seems to be the orangeheads because they get meatier and are easier to gutload, and they are more active but can't climb or fly.
Do I have all this right?

I'm not in a rush, but I thought it prudent to have at least 4 colonies of feeders going before acquiring a chameleon. Right now I have started snails and I am looking into Indian stick insects and silk worms with the last being a beetle/roach. I will go to the store and purchase 2-3 other types of insects each weekend to gutload and feed off immediately (crickets, worms, etc.).

Are there ANY votes for the dubia over the orangehead?

Oops....they don't notice the dubia. That's why im thinking about orange heads. Also they eat leaves. My lobsters ate leaves (lost the lobsters in a fire) and it was nice. Leaves all summer.

Anyone else on this?
I'm wondering especially about household infestation risks and nutritional profile between the 2.
My chameleon will take dubias once in a while but doesn't go crazy for them, so thinking about switching but not if the orange are more risky in terms of escaping and infesting or if they have lower nutritional value.

From what I know, unless you're in the deep south there is no risk of either infesting. I've had many lobsters, giant hissers and dubias escape or dropped as young and never found and adults. They need things warm all year to be able to molt several times and breed.

I keep both types. The orange heads will get too large for some chams. What kind of Cham you get will help determine which you want. I have a parsonii , gets Large,, a male veiled, average size, a female veiled, and lots of other small reptiles.
If you have a breeding colony that is producing you can keep either. Same care, housing, habits for both roaches. If you can keep suciffent smaller orange heads, for feeding, and you only keep one kind, I would go with orange heads. The chams seem to eat them more readily.

Back
Top Bottom