Dubia roaches? Please?

TommyTsunami88

Hey guys I know crickets are the "main" food for our chams. But I heard dubias are much easier to breed and do not smell and can be gutloaded the same as crickets. So a few questions...

1.Does anyone on this forum have some that I can start a colony with and would be willing to send a few? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Do your chams enjoy the dubia roaches as opposed to other feeder insects?

Thanks In Advance Yall

You probably won't find any freebies. Dubias are valuable :) I have some to sell if you would like.

All of my chameleons love them. Not all of them took to them the first time, but when I showed them some freshly molted nymphs or adult males they all came running. Even the shy/aggressive ones run for white dubia :)

You probably won't find any freebies. Dubias are valuable :) I have some to sell if you would like.

All of my chameleons love them. Not all of them took to them the first time, but when I showed them some freshly molted nymphs or adult males they all came running. Even the shy/aggressive ones run for white dubia :)

I figured I wouldnt get lucky with the freebies, hah. I was just worried they wouldnt be into em. I JUST got my cham to start cup feeding as of today

Faster

Dubias are cool but take time u can get lobsters for cheaper and will breed Soooo much faster personally I have both because I like the size difference but the dub colony is Soooo slow I'd be screwed if I didn't have the lobsters too because I just got three new panther bbys that eat up all the nymphs

not if you have a good colony of dubias and the right temps for them to breed....they can b pretty fast breeders though it takes a few months to become adults and the breed, but lobsters are cool for smaller chams, but they can crawl on anything i hear and if they get out, you will get an infestation....while dubias are more slow walkers, and they are har to kill......though thier large size sometimes can b intimadting, they are very soft even motled they are softer, and they look more like beatlles then normal roaches:p.....just my opnion though, ive seen lobsters and they creep me out a little, theey seem rather fast:eek:

I don't like lobsters... I prefer lateralis and dubia. Mine pop out babies every day...

I sell smaller amounts of dubia for testing. I even sex them so you don't feed off any valuable females! What size are you looking for? I have all sizes.

Dubia

They might breed fast but lobsters are at least twice as fast lol i actually got some lobsters in the dubia cage on accident and i had a few hundred in there before i new it lol and they won't infest ur house lol I havnt had any escapes and they require tropical environments just like the dubias so unless u live in florida ur fine and I hear the climbing thing too but idk if mine are just bad climbers but they can't climb glass maybe the nymphs but the adults definitely cannot idk both are good though

I havnt had any escapes and they require tropical environments just like the dubias

I wouldn't say they require a tropical environment. I breed both species in large quantities for the lizards- the lobsters are quite productive even at room temperature in the low 70s, and even produce at cold room temperature (sub 70s with nights in the 50s in my building during the winter, during this time the dubias and hissers produce very few offspring- probably just the ones they were already working on before the temp drops).

Personally, I am glad to have the lobsters- they aren't a pest species here, but I will not allow them in my home for feeding the frogs- I only use them outside and in the lizard building because they can live a comfortable normal life at room temperature and their ability to multiply like crazy in the tubs makes me worry about what they could do if some decided they like the house...

I have no problem allowing the dubias into my home.

While we are at it- why do we call lobsters by their common name and never call dubias by theirs- "orange spotted roaches"? One of those mysteries of life? lol

Maybe

Idk I just don't fear their escaping but if they do they will go to a warm source which is another roach bin or a cage and to answer that last question because dubia is shorter and lobster is shorter lol but maybe u can help me with the dubias what might cause death lately I have been noticing a few dead ones but I keep them at a good temp with food and water.

Thanks In Advance Yall

Hi,

Yes, my cham likes dubias. He only can eat the samllest ones by now, but i have a colony so every size is avalible during the grownig up :D I am million miles away from you so i can not support you the starters... But its worth buy about 40 females and 10 males (adults) and start a colony. With heat and food the will breed and grow fast. :)

Good luck!

I got a small colony of Dubias that were given to me. My Cham seems to be disgusted by them, when I try to feed him one he gets all defensive and starts displaying insane colors. He just cant stand the sight of them..lol.

you could have them but you are way too far. I dont know if they can be shipped and really dont want to deal with packaging roaches.

None of mine ever pass up the freshly molted roaches. Thats usually how I get them to start eating roaches.

Any Pictures of your Dub colonies? what do you use for a substrate if any at all? and Female to male ratio?.....

Hey guys I know crickets are the "main" food for our chams. But I heard dubias are much easier to breed and do not smell and can be gutloaded the same as crickets. So a few questions...

1.Does anyone on this forum have some that I can start a colony with and would be willing to send a few? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance Yall

I would not toss out crickets altogether. Dubias and other roaches are great and do destroy gutloads. But, I like crickets also because they are much quicker than dubias. This can attract a picky cham or keep his variety going. I also find they do not stink so bad if you take care of them properly. Clean out bins every day or two, make sure to only put in what they will eat in a day, airflow and enough room and egg crate they are comfy. Another way I keep the cricket containers from smelling is using a dry gutload along with wet paper towels to maintain them. I transfer the crickets that are going to be fed to a different container if I am going to use a wet gutload (veggies, fruits etc) a day or two before they are fed off. This cuts down on dampness in the containers. If the crix are eating very watery foods the poop will be watery thus making more of a mess;)

ive been curious about dubias but havent made the plunge. i would have to keep them in the garage with a heater, but i think the little lady would even like that. plus her and i have allergy problems that i dont want to make worse.
i might buy a few at the next expo to try out but im still looking for a alternate feeder.

Another vote for trying Dubias (or any kind of roaches) IN ADDITION to crickets (and as many other feeder choices as possible). Dubia are easy to keep, as are most types of roaches typically used as feeders.

links to info that may be helpful if you've not kept roaches before:
Hissing Roach (can be offered regularily, adults are very big, are not too fast, but can climb)
Dubia Roach (can be offered regularily,though tendency not to move much means some chameleons dont notice them)
Turkistan Roach (can be offered regularily, small, moves fast, doesnt climb)

Back
Top Bottom