Dubia invaders

Your paranoid bro, I have them in every bin yes the beetles fly and end up in my bioactive enclosure but they don’t last long. The only negative thing I have noticed is that they will eat freshly hatched crickets.

That's the thing though, if they'll eat freshly hatched crickets they will definitely eat smaller/slower roach species. Or roach ooths for the ones that don't have live birth. So I think for me my concerns are valid, but for others they could be a good option. Some roaches will even die off from too many isopods around lol.

Does removing a anything that isn't a dubia make me a purist? :LOL:

I should qualify—while I like to order 1000 dubias at a time for economy, I break them up into 2 or more containers, so I usually have ~250-300 (or less) in any single container. This works out well for me (YMMV). I generally shake out any desiccated material once a month, and things are kept relatively clean—no smell or frass puree... ?

So far, I hadn't used a mask (I just take the containers outside in a light breeze for shaking out) but it sounds prudent. THX cwnannwn

That's the thing though, if they'll eat freshly hatched crickets they will definitely eat smaller/slower roach species. Or roach ooths for the ones that don't have live birth. So I think for me my concerns are valid, but for others they could be a good option. Some roaches will even die off from too many isopods around lol.
I’m sure your right about them eating nymphs, I guess it’s kind of a trade off of sorts.

One warning for everyone. Not joking wear a mask and gloves when dealing with roaches. About 1/3 of the population can develop allergies. I did now I can not get with in 10 feet of the with out my lung locking up.

First I’ve heard of the allergen concerns thanks for mentioning it.

First I’ve heard of the allergen concerns thanks for mentioning it.
About 1/3 of the population has it. Wearing gloves and mask and doing all maintenance in open air will reduce effects. Remember like all allergies it can get better, get worst, or the same. Wearing gloves and masks just reduces the risks.

If you ignore them, like I did, you can develop and server allergy, and roaches will have to come off the menu.

#jamest0o0 concerns are 100% valid. If you allow them over populate and not provide other food, they will go after molting roaches.

But... If you overpopulate and don't offer other food, your roaches will eat their own.

The key here is don't overpopulate either roaches or dermestids, you will end up with problems. Every answer from the professionals are the same, don't let them starve.

https://rainbowmealworms.answerbase...and-or-buffalo-beetles-eat-cockroach-oothecae

Having a well rounded clean up crew of meal worms, isopods, dermestids, and roaches can create a system where maintenance and colony collapse can be kept to a minimum.

For a professional breeder that can spend as much time on their roach colonies as they do with their other pets, then they are not needed.

Back
Top Bottom