Dubia Food

lampshade

Hey i'm currently using catfood for my dubias. Well, I don't have a blender on hand and have been doing it like the native americans, hand grinding the catfood with my lifting weights (yes very ghetto / caveman-ish) So my question is instead of grinding catfood (pain in the a**) is it possible to just throw in catfood/dogfood whole kibble size without worry that all the dubias, even the small hatchlings can eat without the parents seeing the young hatchlings as an easier food source than chipping away at those hard kibbles? Can the young hatchlings eat the kibbles in the whole size form or is it too "hard" for them?

I make my dubia food this way ..... 3 parts crick crack, 1/2 part powdered egg and 1/2 part bee pollen. They love it and have been breeding more then I really like. However my chams will eat the 3/4" size. However they won't eat the adults so I have to cull my colony. Anyone else separate their colonies? Since they are so quick I would like to know how to go about it in an easy manner.

Right now, some dry dog food, Some left over japanese mackerel, and water pellets

None are being fed off anytime soon, as I am building up the colony.

-Jay

Hey i'm currently using catfood for my dubias. Well, I don't have a blender on hand and have been doing it like the native americans, hand grinding the catfood with my lifting weights (yes very ghetto / caveman-ish) So my question is instead of grinding catfood (pain in the a**) is it possible to just throw in catfood/dogfood whole kibble size without worry that all the dubias, even the small hatchlings can eat without the parents seeing the young hatchlings as an easier food source than chipping away at those hard kibbles? Can the young hatchlings eat the kibbles in the whole size form or is it too "hard" for them?

If you put a couple drops of water on a kibble, it will soften and be easier to eat.
Consider getting a $8 coffee bean grinder. Works a charm and a heck of a lot easier that what you're doing.

Dont forget that cat food fed dubias are bad for chameleons.

Good show, if it's just that cheap i'll probably just invest in that. For some reason in my mind I thought they were around $30-$50.

If you put a couple drops of water on a kibble, it will soften and be easier to eat.
Consider getting a $8 coffee bean grinder. Works a charm and a heck of a lot easier that what you're doing.

Dont forget that cat food fed dubias are bad for chameleons.

I got a coffee grinder and used it, but it doesn't really matter to tell you the truth. If you just throw the kernels in there they will eat them just fine.

-Clemonde

Your cham eats what your dubias eat , do you really want your cham eating dog or cat food, dubia love fresh veggies , especially broccoli, a few granules of bee pollen wont hurt either , i threw the roach chow that came with my dubias away , its crushed dried dog food and contains downer cows and sawdust among other things , you can also dust your veggies prior to feeding your dubia

you can slow your dubia down by temporarily lowering the temp ,at temps below 75*, they mostly hide in the furniture , a good way of lowering the temp is to float your colony container in a bathtub of about 2" cold water for about 5 min ,dont get them too cold for too long or they will die , when done handling , get them nice and toasty again to avoid discoid die off

I just feed mine dog food, carrots, and potatoes. This is for breeding dubia's purpose not to gutload them for your cham...

The new born dubias can go for the carrots and potatoes....

I usually put the carrots and potatoes and microwave it in water for 4-5 mins so they can be a little softer.

I would replace the dog food it could lead to gout in your reptile. I just feed my roaches veggies and grain with the occasional fruit. Also I use water crystals.

I would replace the dog food it could lead to gout in your reptile. I just feed my roaches veggies and grain with the occasional fruit. Also I use water crystals.

Dog food is perfect for building/breeding colonies. However you will need to switch off it about 1-2 weeks prior to feeding off, and begin gutloading.

-Jay

You dont want your chameleon eating broccolli any more than dog or cat food. All three are bad choices.

I have some,and they don't really mulitply that well,im probably keeping them on the cool side and currently feed them,carrots,spring greens.
I was worried about using dog and cat food,what would you suggest i should use for my roaches:)

I make my dubia food this way ..... 3 parts crick crack, 1/2 part powdered egg and 1/2 part bee pollen. They love it and have been breeding more then I really like. However my chams will eat the 3/4" size. However they won't eat the adults so I have to cull my colony. Anyone else separate their colonies? Since they are so quick I would like to know how to go about it in an easy manner.

where do you get those ingredients from? Im starting my own dubia colony and would like to feed them this rather than dog/car food.

Is it safe to feed the chameleons on this gut load of dubias?

where do you get those ingredients from? Im starting my own dubia colony and would like to feed them this rather than dog/car food.

Is it safe to feed the chameleons on this gut load of dubias?

Cricket Crack is made by Steve.
If you go to the SBCK Meeting I talked to you about, you can actually buy it from him.
Yes, I fed this gutload to my dubias.
for protein, instead of dogfood, i use chopped boiled eggs.

Cricket Crack is made by Steve.
If you go to the SBCK Meeting I talked to you about, you can actually buy it from him.
Yes, I fed this gutload to my dubias.
for protein, instead of dogfood, i use chopped boiled eggs.

so the whole egg including the whites are safe for chameleons?

so the whole egg including the whites are safe for chameleons?

I usually use boiled eggs when making a gutload for my flies.
So far so good.
Also to notice i do not feed my roachess boiled eggs everyday.
I just do it once in a while to satisfy the roaches' need..
I do not think egg (or powdered egg) is particularly dangerous for chameleon if done in moderation.

I am not aware of yolk is safer than the white..
know any reason why you think that way?

I usually use boiled eggs when making a gutload for my flies.
So far so good.
Also to notice i do not feed my roachess boiled eggs everyday.
I just do it once in a while to satisfy the roaches' need..
I do not think egg (or powdered egg) is particularly dangerous for chameleon if done in moderation.

I am not aware of yolk is safer than the white..
know any reason why you think that way?

Someone told me that in a thread about
https://www.chameleonforums.com/gut-load-27331/

Back
Top Bottom