Dubia family!

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Yesterday, I looked in my roach bin ans saw a female with some newborns huddled under her, so I removed the egg carton she was sat in and kept them separately so I could watch her and count the babies. She kept her brood huddled under her for most of the day so I was only able to count them this morning - she had 32 babies! :eek:

RoachFamily.jpg

They look like a nice tasty snack for a little dinosaur..........lucky Monty :)

Can't wait till I see some babies! Even though frankie won't try em :( he's being a snob right now.. the leopard geckos and turtles are loving them!

I'm surprised at how cute they are! Now I'm onto feeder rats, and using the ball python forum, I totally don't see feeder rats as being more or less cute than roaches, and feel just as guilty feeding both. The only reason we don't have a feeder rat colony is because we only have one snake, so far, and Hubbles is allergic.

Isnt it neat how they protect the babies until they harden? I once witnessed two females give birth and a third protect both sets in one egg carton cell. It was the coolest thing i've ever seen my roaches do.

Cute! I find it fascinating that they give birth, rather than lay eggs outside the body, and that they show parental care! Both pretty unsual in the insect world, so far as I'm aware.

Neelix hasn't quite decided if he likes them yet- he's only eaten 2, but that's better than none :)

Back
Top Bottom