Dubia Breeding vs. Keeping

well technically I am pretty sure colony is used for almost every insect that lives in communal groups XD

well technically I am pretty sure colony is used for almost every insect that lives in communal groups XD
Yah! what she said! :LOL::LOL: Let us know how it goes.

So back on track... if you want to get them so they are just feeders... I buy them from gotdubia.com which gives a discount for an auto-order (100 small dubia roaches and 200 large BSFL's). They come every other week. I use a large "kricket keeper" to house them but I don't put the long black tubes in the keeper when I have roaches in there. I do use the plastic feeder trays that come with it. They don't climb, so they never get out. I make sure they have food and water, the egg crates are standing up-vertically and when I need them, I put them from the keeper to the bag of supplements and viola!

Ophelia could eat a larger size of roach, but I also feed 2 juvenile bearded dragons so smalls work best for us. Plus, smaller roaches look less like roaches and more like a "beetle" so win-win :)

Touché! You are correct! My mind hears colony and I thing "breeding" - my bad.

Yah! what she said! :LOL::LOL: Let us know how it goes.
So back on track... if you want to get them so they are just feeders... I buy them from gotdubia.com which gives a discount for an auto-order (100 small dubia roaches and 200 large BSFL's). They come every other week. I use a large "kricket keeper" to house them but I don't put the long black tubes in the keeper when I have roaches in there. I do use the plastic feeder trays that come with it. They don't climb, so they never get out. I make sure they have food and water, the egg crates are standing up-vertically and when I need them, I put them from the keeper to the bag of supplements and viola!

Ophelia could eat a larger size of roach, but I also feed 2 juvenile bearded dragons so smalls work best for us. Plus, smaller roaches look less like roaches and more like a "beetle" so win-win :)

I was kind of wanting to use the tubes...:rolleyes: I have a process. I have small containers that I put Calcium Plus in and then I just pull out a tube from the keeper and dump what I want into the container with the dusting power. Put the lid on and swish them around so they coated then I dump them in the feeder trough. No hands tough the bugs. :D

'll want smaller ones as well so they look like beetles just like you said for the sake of my wife. "No dear, these are "Dubia Beetles" see, do these look like roaches? I did't think so." (y)

I was kind of wanting to use the tubes...:rolleyes: I have a process. I have small containers that I put Calcium Plus in and then I just pull out a tube from the keeper and dump what I want into the container with the dusting power. Put the lid on and swish them around so they coated then I dump them in the feeder trough. No hands tough the bugs. [/QUOTE]

I get it... the tubes are the ONLY thing that make dealing with crickets worth the trouble. I don't think the "beetles" will use the tubes. Maybe have to use tongs?

If you keep them at room temps, you shouldn't have much problem..Especially if you are feeding smaller dubia (1/2", etc.) It takes them a few months to mature into adults to be able to breed. I'd use an opaque container and cut a small hole on the top to cover with mesh. Feeding citrus will increase breeding too, so I'd avoid that. But with average room temps, breeding / over growing won't be too much of a problem unless you have the same ones for several months.

Also, get some clear packing tape and line the top few inches of the tub you are using (on the inside) try ot make it as wrinkle free as possible. This will prevent them from climbing out.

I have had a colony going since this time last year and am just now getting over them freaking me out. I still wear gloves when I handle them (which I hear is a good idea to prevent allergic reactions also). I also have a HEPA filter in the same room as the roaches... If you are prone to allergies, you want to be careful when handling the frass (poo). I use a disposable face mask to help filter out particulates and doing the bin cleaning outside also helps.

My husband knows about my colony...And is OK with it as long as he doesn't have to deal with them... But I will never tell my parents. My mother would never speak to me again lol. I have had maybe 10 escapees since setting up the colony, but at low humidity and temps, they quickly die.

Well, I placed my order tonight. 250 - 1/2" banded crickets and a small small pack of 1/4" Dubias (50 I believe) I need to be sure my Cham will eat these and I will test in small scale my feeder process. :coffee:

I bought a bunch of adults to start my breeding colony and it still took about 3 months for them to start breeding with heat under the bin. I wouldn't worry about them breeding at all. I keep them in a clear big bin with latching lid.. metal screen glued on both sides cuz id probably burn my house to the ground if they escaped. I have never noticed any climbing the sides at all, even the babies. I like the clear bins because I can see where they are b4 I open the lid!!! haha I keep the bin in a closet with the door shut so its dark and keeps the heat in. The ones I feed I keep in a clear blue tinted shoe box size bin with chunks of egg crate and paper towel on the bottom. This bin is then kept inside a larger clear bin with my 2 cricket keepers to make absolute sure no one escapes. In my feeder roach bin its easy to pick up a small chunk of egg crate(I tear them into small strips or one egg cup sides pieces) I lightly shake the poop off, then i can shake them off into a feeding/dusting cup. I need to start a 3rd bin now for the babies to grow out in.. got a bunch that are the size of mini tic tacs.

Also, what i noticed: My small young male use to completely refuse the dubias.. I would skip a day feeding him then only offer the dubias so he was hungry and he would eat one then snub them... when I started feeding the dubias strawberries he now eats them no problem. he goes for the fatter ones over the tiny ones too.. he will pick out ones that im a lil hesitant on giving him because they are on the bigger side and he leaves the tiny tiny babies alone. They squish out a lot more red ive noticed when feeding them strawberries.. its like a smootheeee!:p
both my chameleons also LOVE cut up strawberries, they run to the bowl after I put it in the enclosure. The Dubias love carrots and strawberries. I also give them dubai diet and cricket crack in a dish. They eat way more than the crickets, so way better gut loader than crickets I think!(y) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom