dubai roaches

john118

if i breed these roaches an lose a female which is pregnant am i going to get an infestation an do i need the heat map or lamp on all the time thanks

if i breed these roaches an lose a female which is pregnant am i going to get an infestation an do i need the heat map or lamp on all the time thanks

I share this concern; the idea of a free-range cham is appealing; the idea of free-range roaches is something that up to this point I have tried to avoid at all costs. Looking forward to the input of the experts on this topic!

I live in Oregon and my house temp is 72 during the day and 65 at night. I've have a few dubs that get out from time to time and never had a problem for some reason they wined up in the bathroom I think they are looking for water ;) It has to be 80+ for them to breed so yes leave the heat pad on all the time.

There are over 4000 species of roaches on the planet and less then 2% of them are considered to be "pests". Dubia's are not one of them. Losing a dubia is no different then losing a cricket.

Dubia's are a tropical insect. The risk is incredibly low. I talked to 3 entomologists before I bought my colony.

Unless of course you keep your house above 80 degrees F, and leave a mess of food and water everywhere.

Then you're in trouble ;)

does any1 know wot else is easy to breed that does not need as much heat and would live happily and breed hapily at room temp but not crix as cham have gne off these lol

Silkworms, Hornworms, and Superworms. Superworms are kinda slow breeding though. Hope this helps.

LPR08

i would not rate silkworms and hornworms as easy to breed.
so far, I have successfully breed silkies but at the end kinda given up. The sheer amount of work to try to keep things clean is putting a lot of burden on my lazy bone. Hornworms, I tried but so far never have a good success after the pupae stage, they just won't hatch. Some hatch but in an incredibly weak stage and will die 2 days after.

I've never bred superworms.

I assume wales as in UK? or Wales as in lake Wales, Florida?
If the first one is the case, how about indian walking stick insects? I believe europe does not have the law against keeping stick insects (idk for sure).
They are excellent feeder too.

their care is quite easy imho.

does any1 know wot else is easy to breed that does not need as much heat and would live happily and breed hapily at room temp but not crix as cham have gne off these lol

Dubia's are as close to a dream feeder as you can get. There is really nothing better.

Oh, I didn't see easy :eek:. I just saw without heat. Oh well. No harm done. Supers are fairly easy, you put the food in their habitat, and wait for them to turn into pupae, after that, you seperate them and wait for them to turn into beetles. Then they breed, and lay eggs. You keep the eggs in the habitat, and then they hatch. Once they start hatching, you put that substrate in another cage, and put food in there. Then the process starts all over.

LPR08

That isn't quite correct. Please visit my blog posts. I have instructions on how to breed superworms there.

Good luck! It is very easy. The only down side is it takes awhile. It is a bit quicker when they are kept warm for their metamorphisis.

Back
Top Bottom